Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Stopping Power - a different perspective

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    paul0660
    In Memoriam
    • Jul 2007
    • 15669

    No matter which caliber you use, you have to hit something important in order to stop someone!
    Could have saved the $39. Small sample size, no mention of type of ammo, etc. etc.

    It IS nice that the mere sight of a .45 didn't kill people, and that there is a positive correlation between .38 and .357.
    *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

    Comment

    • #17
      mikaarce
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 968

      Thank you for the post.
      My AR is "disabled"
      "Differently abled AR"
      "AR with disability"

      Comment

      • #18
        ryan0320
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 765

        The key for today's topic......
        1. Bullet placement (Face/Heart)
        2. Always double tap (Shoot them TWICE)
        3. shoot enough amount of 22 at a proper place and it will stop the opponent !
        01001001011001100010000001111001011011110111010100 10000001100011011000010110111000100000011101010110 11100110010001100101011100100010000001110100011010 00011001010111001101100101001000000111010001100101 01111000011101000010110000100000011110010110111101 11010100100000011010000110000101110110011001010010 00000110100001101001011001110110100000100000010010 01010100010010000001100001011100110010000001101101 01100101001011100010000001010000011001010110000101 100011011001010010000000100001

        Comment

        • #19
          23 Blast
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 3754

          ^ Exactly - particularly the study on shotguns.

          I imagine that a fair number of people using shotguns as a HD weapon might load it with the same ammo as they hunt ducks with, simply because it's what they have on hand, in the same way some people load their HD handguns with the same cheap FMJ plinking ammo they use at the range because Its cheap and they have it on hand.
          "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
          [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

          Comment

          • #20
            esartori
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 745

            Very interesting. But yes I think the type of ammo would have been another interesting variable. I know it probably wasn't available for all the shootings though. I guess I need a rifle.. Since .45 is not the holy grail of handgun rounds, maybe ill sell my 1911 and buy an AR

            Comment

            • #21
              Lapietra
              Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 159

              I had to cut a paragraph or two out of the orignal posters report due to character limitations on this site. Here is the paragraph I removed which answers the questions asked about what types of bullets and a the authors comments about his study. - Lap

              Discussion

              I really would have liked to break it down by individual bullet type, but I didn’t have enough data points to reach a level of statistical significance. Getting accurate data on over 1800 shootings was hard work. I couldn’t imagine breaking it down farther than what I did here. I also believe the data for the .25, .32 and .44 magnum should be viewed with suspicion. I simply don’t have enough data (in comparison to the other calibers) to draw an accurate comparison. I reported the data I have, but I really don’t believe that a .32 ACP incapacitates people at a higher rate than the .45 ACP!

              One other thing to look at is the 9mm data. A huge number (over half) of 9mm shootings involved ball ammo. I think that skewed the results of the study in a negative manner. One can reasonable expect that FMJ ammo will not stop as well as a state of the art expanding bullet. I personally believe that the 9mm is a better stopper than the numbers here indicate, but you can make that decision for yourself based on the data presented

              Comment

              • #22
                sanjosebmx
                Senior Member
                CGN Contributor
                • Dec 2010
                • 1065

                a lot of data there, would it be fair to say that most of the data was from Officer involved shootings?


                S&W M&P .40 Shield / Ruger SR9 / Win Defender 1300

                Comment

                • #23
                  The Professional
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 821

                  Great read! Thanks for sharing...

                  Use the firearm you're most comfortable with (I solely use .45ACP for HD, and practice A LOT!) and then there's the shot placement...

                  Happy Friday, y'all!
                  Thanks, Ernie


                  Thomas Jefferson quotes (American 3rd US President (1801-09). Author of the Declaration of Independence. 1762-1826)

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Shellshocker66
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 1760

                    Nice post!
                    "I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony



                    Comment

                    • #25
                      OC-Indian
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 573

                      Aim between the lungs and stop firing when the threat stops attacking. I wouldnt want to be shot with a mag full of 22L. Then again I have something larger than a 22L on my nightstand

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sigfan
                        Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 210

                        Nice post. Thanks for the info

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          CK_32
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 14369

                          Great post. Funny to see the bull headed people still arguing against it but with it to still push their beliefs because that can't accept their wrong or what they believe is not the best haha. Makes me laugh lol
                          For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                          What's Your Caliber??


                          My Youtube channel

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            MASTERLAB
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 969

                            so basically what he is saying is get a .45

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              pter
                              Junior Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 37

                              There might be some inaccuracies with the calculated
                              % of hits that were fatal
                              One-shot-stop %


                              .25ACP-
                              % of hits that were fatal- 25%
                              One-shot-stop %- 30%

                              .22 (short, long and long rifle)
                              % of hits that were fatal- 34%
                              One-shot-stop %- 31%

                              .32 (both .32 long and .32 acp)
                              % of hits that were fatal- 21%
                              One-shot-stop %- 40%

                              .380 ACP
                              % of hits that were fatal- 29%
                              One-shot-stop %- 44%

                              .38 Special
                              % of hits that were fatal- 29%
                              One-shot-stop %- 39%

                              9mm Luger
                              % of hits that were fatal- 24%
                              One-shot-stop %- 34%

                              .357 (both magnum and Sig)
                              % of hits that were fatal- 34%
                              One-shot-stop %- 44%

                              .40 S&W
                              % of hits that were fatal- 25%
                              One-shot-stop %- 45%

                              .45 ACP
                              % of hits that were fatal- 29%
                              One-shot-stop %- 39%

                              .44 Magnum
                              % of hits that were fatal- 26%
                              One-shot-stop %- 59%

                              Rifle (all Centerfire)
                              % of hits that were fatal- 68%
                              One-shot-stop %- 58%

                              Shotgun (All, but 90% of results were 12 gauge)
                              % of hits that were fatal- 65%
                              One-shot-stop %- 58%

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Bart1
                                Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 290

                                Thank you for this post. I guess I will stick with my 9mm and JHP's.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1