Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Suggestion on 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    fennecfrank
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 1787

    Originally posted by ARFAN
    Thanks for suggestion. However, .50 seems to be a unpopular ammo. I like some thing is more popular like 45 acp ; 40 s&w or 9 mm and easy to find on the shelf.
    Here are the ammo cost for .50 GI:

    300gr. JFP 700 fps 20/rds. $23.25
    275gr. JHP 875 fps 20/rds. $24.75
    185 gr. CHP 1200 fps 20/rds $42.25
    230gr. CHP 1000 fps 20/rds $42.25

    It's not so bad if you compare the price with those home defense rounds

    besides, Guncrafter Industries make .45 ACP barrels too. Fun to have 2 barrels.

    Comment

    • #17
      Q619
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 1223

      Originally posted by ARFAN
      Thank Q619 for detail info
      Hmmm..tough choice. I got a wilson tactical supergrade and nighthawk predator2. But, never has baer. Also owned springfiled Pro before and did not have a chance to shoot it some scumbag stole my before I can to bring it to the range. So, Pro is also in my list now. My own experience with Wilson is very impress. My Wilson is shoot quite accurate out of the box.
      If you've already got those two guns then I'd definitely be looking at a Les Baer, a SA Pro or an Ed Brown to have something different. You should really check out an Ed Brown Special Forces or other model before you make a decision as you may find you like it more than the others. IMO, Brown guns somehow manage to be even more nicely finished than the sub $3k Wilson guns.

      If you REALLY want something special and like the SA Pro but might want something slightly different: get a Springfield Custom Carry. It's basically the same gun as the pro minus the magwell, the ambi safety, the front strap checkering and the night sights. You have a hand fitted gun, just like the pro that is ready for you to send back in to the the custom shop to be gone over in any fashion you want. My Springfield build is having a golfball front strap and ms housing treatment among many other things I specified and will, in the end, be the perfect fighting pistol: as I envision it.

      Comment

      • #18
        aklon
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • 3186

        Originally posted by ARFAN
        Why did you prefer it more than your wilson? even Wilson combat professional is more expensive than Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special? Can you elaborate more?
        thxs
        The TRS has a better "feel", possibly due to those slim grips. The checkering on the frame seems to hold better, the pistol is also a tad more accurate than the Wilson, and there's an overall confidence in the Baer that - while high for the Wilson - is a bit higher.

        After nearly forty years shooting the 1911, there comes a time when one pistol "feels" better than another. It may be there's no objective reason for it, but every shooter experiences this given enough experience with any one type of firearm. For me, the Baer comes out on top.

        (But, please do use the Wilson 47D magazines!)
        Freedom is the dream you dream while putting thought in chains.

        - Giacomo Leopardi

        Comment

        • #19
          Wrex
          Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 239

          I tried pretty much all of the listed except the Springfield Pro, before buying my nighthawk. The wilson was almost identical to the nighthawk, went with the nighthawk because of price and it wasn't as widely known at the time. The Les Baer that everyone told me to try didn't really impress. Years later and trying a couple pros I really regret not getting one.

          Comment

          • #20
            ARFAN
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 751

            Thanks for feed back . It seems people like Baer. So, it is worth to look into this.

            Comment

            • #21
              russ69
              Calguns Addict
              • Nov 2009
              • 9348

              Even if you buy a basic 45, they are all great. The premium 45s are just more better. That's why we keep buying more 45s, they are all super but we like to change a few things every once in a while. I never met a 45 I didn't like.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                Dhena81
                Veteran Member
                • May 2010
                • 4587

                Why no love for Ed Brown any reason?

                Comment

                • #23
                  Pred@tor
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 768

                  Why not a Colt?
                  "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
                  Thomas Jefferson

                  Californian born and orginally from the Central Coast (Arroyo Grande, CA) who is currently serving in the Air National Guard of Missouri.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    ARFAN
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 751

                    Now, I lean to les baer SRP ; springfield Pro ; Wilson combat stanless Protector; Wilson CQB Elite.
                    out of 4 which one is your choice? why?

                    Thanks,

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Q619
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 1223

                      Originally posted by ARFAN
                      Now, I lean to les baer SRP ; springfield Pro ; Wilson combat stanless Protector; Wilson CQB Elite.
                      out of 4 which one is your choice? why?

                      Thanks,
                      SA Pro. Best track record of them all. Shot one and loved it. An incredible gun, all business.

                      The SRP isn't worth the extra money over the TRS (for me at least). I'd be more inclined to get a TRS and have it coated....which I did. Don't like stainless unless we're talking about barrels....CQB Elite (again, to me, isn't worth the extra $$ over the CQB). If you already have a Wilson, unless going for a different caliber I'd try something different. Nothing wrong with having a safe filled with Wilson's though! you have a nice dilemma to be confronted with!

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ARFAN
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • 751

                        Originally posted by Q619
                        SA Pro. Best track record of them all. Shot one and loved it. An incredible gun, all business.

                        The SRP isn't worth the extra money over the TRS (for me at least). I'd be more inclined to get a TRS and have it coated....which I did. Don't like stainless unless we're talking about barrels....CQB Elite (again, to me, isn't worth the extra $$ over the CQB). If you already have a Wilson, unless going for a different caliber I'd try something different. Nothing wrong with having a safe filled with Wilson's though! you have a nice dilemma to be confronted with!
                        Yeah. I have a dilemma to make a decision.
                        now Les Baer SRP or Springfield PRO??

                        Hello Q619.
                        you have baer SRP and PRo. Please tell us more about them.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          FUBAR
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 2453

                          Save some money and get a Dan Wesson Valor.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Q619
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2010
                            • 1223

                            Originally posted by ARFAN
                            Yeah. I have a dilemma to make a decision.
                            now Les Baer SRP or Springfield PRO??

                            Hello Q619.
                            you have baer SRP and PRo. Please tell us more about them.
                            I actually have neither but after doing my research and shooting the Pro: I've got one on order. Should have it sometime this summer/early fall. The wait time is TOO long!!! The SRP is an exceptional pistol but after shooting one, it's just not worth the extra $$ over a TRS, a CC or a PII from Baer. You can buy one of those, break it in, get the coating of your choice and still be ahead. I could not see where the extra time went in to the SRP to be honest. Maybe I just got a VERY fine example in my TRS? Not a fan of Bear coat either....I like Tungsten DLC, Armortuff, Gen III (from what I've seen) and Black T (have it on a rifle). There's not a gun is Les's stable I would rather have than my Thunder Ranch Special with DLC and a few other changes. I'd buy another one in a heart beat if anything should ever happen to the one I have. It's my favorite gun, not by much of a margin but all the same. Surprisingly, even over my Wilson. It's hard to explain, more of a feeling. Granted, my Wilson is nicer in pretty much every respect....in all things considered it's probably the better gun for the most part but there's just something about a Baer . They're not for everyone but if you have an appreciation for what they are, then you'll understand when you shoot one. That's just it, they're guns for shooters. They're not the best lookers.

                            You can't go wrong with the Pro though. If one 1911 were leaps and bounds beyond the others: I'd only have one gun. Likely with a twin as backup. When you get in the realm of high end 1911's. The differences are subtle. More a variation on build philosophy than in quality. You'll be happy with whatever choice you make! Just be sure to get the right one for YOU. The gun I like might not curry much favor with you and vice versa.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              responsiblefreedom69
                              Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 168

                              Les Baer. Without a doubt. I've had and shot all or most of the big names, and the Les Baer has been the most impressive. Money well spent; I'm surprised Baer's aren't more expensive.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                sanjm23
                                Member
                                • Mar 2008
                                • 116

                                i really wanted the Les Baer but opted to get a good AR and another Kimber. I have the Kimber Supermatch and love it. I have not had the pleasure of trying the Les Baer or the Wilson combat. I hope someday I ge the chance.
                                Best of luck, let us know what you decide

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1