Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

question about releasing the slide on a Glock

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    JTROKS
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2007
    • 13093

    Chambering a round slowly may cause a misfeed and will not be good in a defensive scenario. For practice I don't let the slide forward unless I have a snapcap simulating a loaded mag. Letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber will speed up the wear on your gun unless you have a very light recoil spring for shooting target loads. When dry firing a Glock I use snapcaps and never ever have any live rounds around specially in magazines.
    The wise man said just find your place
    In the eye of the storm
    Seek the roses along the way
    Just beware of the thorns...
    K. Meine

    Comment

    • #17
      Rebellious
      Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 435

      Originally posted by darkest2000
      your "friend" is full of it. if it can withstand the force of a mini explosion it can withstand a gentle slide rack
      ^+1

      Sometimes "friends" don't give the best advice when it comes to firearms. It usually takes finding this out the hard way in order to realize a lot of people don't know squat about squat. A "friend" of mine told me never to dry fire my glock as it was bad for it.........ummm yeahhh. Just do what I do....smile and say thank you for the advice.

      Comment

      • #18
        Voo
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 1702

        letting the slide go into battery "slowly" is only bad when you're loading live ammo.. The gun is not designed to chamber ammo this way and you can induce malfunctions by doing this.. As everyone has also pointed out, riding the slide is a bad habit as well..

        In regards to dry firing, it's not going to hurt anything.. Letting the slide go home, full force on an empty chamber, IMHO, is like slamming the doors on your car everytime you get in or out.. It's not going to hurt, but its a little excessive.. When I dry fire, I simply rack the slide about an inch or so (like everyone is saying). That's all the distance you need to engage the striker on a Glock..
        Aloha snackbar!

        Comment

        • #19
          glock22fs
          Junior Member
          • Jan 2011
          • 57

          the glock is not a delicate weapon so dont be afraid to rack with full force on an empty chamber. also you really dont need snap caps for the glock. you will not cause any appreciable premature wear dry practicing. if you are practising things like emergency reloads or malfunctions i would highly encourage you to NOT do them gently as you will fight as you train. like others have said if you simply want to reset the action just move the slide back half an inch and let it go forward.
          SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

          Comment

          • #20
            hybridatsun350
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2007
            • 5336

            Originally posted by Librarian
            You can easily move the slide about half an inch to recock it, avoiding the slam noise.
            That's what I was thinking. You barely have to move the slide on a Glock to reset the striker.
            Dom

            ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

            Comment

            • #21
              Rukus
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2009
              • 2387

              I've heard that people have stuck a small piece of cardboard in between the slide and the chamber area so that it is held open just enough to allow the trigger to reset without manually racking the slide. I'm sure you could Google it to find out more info- and they even sell a kit that replaces the internals to those specifically designed for dry fire, but for the $$ and the time that it would take to swap out, I'd just stick to manually racking it.
              MY AR Profile #1

              Comment

              • #22
                medianoche
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 53

                So to my understanding, it is not specifically harmful to the to bring the slide forward slowly.. but it is bad to do when you are chambering a round. I think maybe this is what my friend was told and had gotten confused about.

                Letting it go forward slowly is a bad habit and bad for muscle memory, that is a really good point.
                Moving the slide just a little bit back back to recock it works..

                Thanks for the responses everyone.. this is very informational and helpful.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Oceanbob
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 12720

                  Did your friend used to work at Turners..?

                  (sorry guys...couldn't help myself)

                  May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                  Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                  Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    medianoche
                    Junior Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 53

                    Originally posted by Oceanbob
                    Did your friend used to work at Turners..?

                    (sorry guys...couldn't help myself)

                    ahh I don't get it...

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      sequoia_nomad
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 803

                      Originally posted by Oceanbob
                      Did your friend used to work at Turners..?

                      (sorry guys...couldn't help myself)

                      No, but I'll bet he worked at Second Amendment in Bakersfield.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sequoia_nomad
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 803

                        Originally posted by medianoche
                        ahh I don't get it...
                        Just joking around, regarding idiots that work at gun stores and misinform people with their "knowledge".

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          llamatrnr
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 4194

                          Originally posted by dmacintyre
                          You only need to pull the slide back a little to cock it if that's what you are doing (half an inch or so). No need to lock it all the way back and release every time.

                          Also, to answer the question, no harm to disengage the slide lock whilst holding the slide to let it forward gently. As others said, it's not what you want to do when actually chambering a round though.
                          Whilst? Blimey!

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Exile Machine
                            No longer in Business
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 9551

                            I say make the noise. If any of your neighbors are bad dudes with intent on busting you up someday, the sound of you fine tuning your target acquisition might give them pause.
                            -Mark
                            Manufacturer of CA AWB Compliance Products from Oct 2009 to Nov 2018

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1