Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Updated - I pulled the trigger. Which 1911 - First timer....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cindynles
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 2806

    Updated - I pulled the trigger. Which 1911 - First timer....

    Updated 3/8/11: After all my hand wringing I got a SA 1911 Loaded with Trijicon Night Sites. She's in jail now.....



    All right Calguners, I am getting my annual bonus paid out in and my wife is going to allow me to spend up to $1000 (base price) on a new toy. I have decided its time for a 1911. I want a new, steel framed, full size, fixed combat sites (prefer Novak style), 45ACP, that is on the list (I don't want to hassle with getting around it). Here is what I am thinking of, what I am missing and what are pros/cons of the different models?

    1. SW1911 - $900 from GalleryofGuns.com - I really like the way this one looks and I've heard really good things about it, made in the USA, great customer service.


    2. SA Loaded - $900 at local shop - Looks good, everybody and their brother has one, seems like some have issues, great customer service, made in Brazil


    3. Kimber Custom II - $850 at local shop - don't know much about this one
    Last edited by cindynles; 03-08-2011, 1:44 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759
  • #2
    IPSICK
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • 4259

    Of those choices, Springfield. I'm not a big fan of Series 80 1911s.
    "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

    "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

    Comment

    • #3
      BDH
      Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 257

      My preferences lean towards Colt, with custom work, that aside, the S&W calls to me more than the other two. I think both the Kimber and the SAI use the 80 series safety...correct me if wrong. I haven't seen the bottom of the slide on a S&W so I'm not sure there and it's not on their site. I do like the external extractor. I have to admit, I've never had a problem with the Colt extractors (7 Colt-frame pistols....38 Super and .45) but I like this feature.

      Whichever you choose, shoot the hell out of it. I don't think any are a bad choice and you would do well with any, I just lean toward the S&W. I don't know how all the newer guns...Glocks, XDs etc hold up but I've got tens of thousands of rounds through my .45s and .38 Supers and can't think of a better platform. Some like the newer designs but there's something about the feel of a 1911 frame in my hand.
      JMHO
      Bruce
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        DaveFJ80
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 2066

        Between those choices, the SA Loaded.

        Although, I bought the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II myself (which is around the $950 range), and it's been absolutely great to me, but my first choice would've been a SA Operator but I couldn't find one at the time.

        Comment

        • #5
          redcliff
          Calguns Addict
          • Feb 2008
          • 5676

          Originally posted by IPSICK
          Of those choices, Springfield. I'm not a big fan of Series 80 1911s.
          Neither the S&W or the Kimber have Series 80 firing pin safetys so I'm not sure what that means. Springfield uses a lightweight titanium firing pin and extra strong firing pin spring for drop safety.

          The Kimber and S&W both do have Swartz safeties though; and I'm not a fan of those either.

          My thoughts are:

          S&W: good reputation, probably will run fine out of the box, but has external extractor some don't like which effects resale value. Good customer service.

          Kimber: When they're good they're very good, when they're bad...well, Kimber's quality control and customer service is not the best. They'll fix it if needed but it may take two trips. I'd vote it the least likely of being trouble-free of the three listed. I don't like the barrels they use, they rust easily if not maintained.

          Springfield: Not as pretty as the Kimbers, probably not quite as accurate, slight chance of having a problem; but the best customer service in 1911 land.
          Last edited by redcliff; 02-22-2011, 9:40 PM.
          "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
          "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
          "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

          "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
          although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

          Comment

          • #6
            HK416
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 1466

            Can't go wrong with the Springfield Loaded

            Comment

            • #7
              IPSICK
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 4259

              Originally posted by DaveFJ80
              ...but my first choice would've been a SA MC Operator but I couldn't find one at the time.
              Would've been mine too, but I bought my TRP operator when I didn't know any better. Ended up doing custom mods to it. The SA MC OPerator would've been a better base gun because it would have saved me money from buying the 'features' of the TRP.

              Btw, I have never heard of Springfield making Series 80 1911s. In fact, I bought mine specifically because it was Series 70.
              "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

              "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

              Comment

              • #8
                Trendkill
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2008
                • 3492

                I likey that SA.....
                "I am the bastard son...The expendable one...
                ...War is in my blood ...Rage is in my heart."


                Originally posted by oaklander
                I didn't miss the bend-over-party every time a friend wanted to get in my back seat. . .
                Originally posted by ChrisO
                .......No not a Knights In Satans Service rifle lol.

                Comment

                • #9
                  oghl888
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2005
                  • 612

                  S&W, works fine out of box and has great warranty and service. Very well made. I enjoy mine very much.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    nickvig
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 527

                    With the choices you've posted I'd go with the Kimber. It's the closest to a match pistol you can get in a production model of what you posted. I don't really like the MIM parts on the Kimber, but those can be changed if you're a purist.

                    I'm not big on the Imbel Brazilian frames of the Springfields. Most people don't care, but that's just me. I want something made in the US. The ignition of the Springfield is the closest to the original 1911 of what you posted, read: no firing pin block.

                    The S&W has an external extractor which doesn't appeal to me (looks or function).
                    -Nick-

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cindynles
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 2806

                      Originally posted by BDH
                      I don't know how all the newer guns...Glocks, XDs etc hold up but I've got tens of thousands of rounds through my .45s and .38 Supers and can't think of a better platform. Some like the newer designs but there's something about the feel of a 1911 frame in my hand.
                      I already have 4 "plastic" 9mm (including 2 Glocks) so I am done with those for now. I'm looking for a reliable 1911 that will run well out of the box. I don't plan on doing any upgrades and I don't want to deal with shipping a new gun out to get it fixed. I don't really care about internal/external extractor, I just want it to work. I'm right handed so an ambi-safety is nice but not required.

                      How about the Sig GSR 1911, any thoughts on this one? It seems to be in my price range and Sig is a quality brand.

                      Last edited by cindynles; 02-22-2011, 9:28 PM.
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        discoed
                        Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 430

                        The Kimber FTW.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bongos
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4095

                          you're about $1200 after tax and dros, why not just call Ade's gun shop and pick their SA TRP with Crimson Trace for $1300 used

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            HCz
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 3295

                            SA loaded

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              o0RedEyE0o
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 254

                              I bought my first 1911 last year (thank you tax return) and i got a full-sized Springfield 1911 Loaded and i love it.

                              The only thing i didnt like were the mags that came with the gun, they were cheap feeling...get some Wilson Combat Magazines.

                              I have these same grips, got them from Midway and they feel great.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1