Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone have problems with Springfields 1911A1?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    zefflyn
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2005
    • 537

    Give one of these Tripp Research Cobra mags a try. They're supposed to be the most reliable thing since Metamucil.

    Comment

    • #17
      wheelgunner
      Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 183

      I measured the feed lip opening.

      Wilson unloaded = 0.390 inches
      Wilson Loaded = 0.392 inches

      Springfield unloaded = 0.398 inches
      Springfield loaded = 0.410 inches

      Widest part of cartridge = 0.476 inches

      It would appear that the Springfields mag lips are wider apart than Wilson and the metal is more flexable. Springfield mag would have to open up 0.066 inches more.

      Also Springfield emailed me saying they do not recomend shooting Wolf ammo and that wolf is not to SAAMI Specs.

      I have not had a problem shooting Wolf in my Colt 1991A1.

      I emailed Wolf Ammunition asking if their ammo is to SAAMI Specs.

      Ordered more ammo, I'll post results after next shooting session.

      Has anyone else personally experienced a double feed with 2 live rounds?

      Thanks

      Dan

      Comment

      • #18
        rkt88edmo
        Reptile&Samurai Moderator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2002
        • 10064

        Even the new poly coated wolf is still not great.

        Wolf's match .22 ammo is a totally different animal and shouldn't be compared to their other ammo..

        Your problem does sound mag related though.
        If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
        Use the goog to search calguns

        Comment

        • #19
          DPC
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 845

          My brother has one!

          My bro has the GI version and it's a piece of %#@! ever time I've ever tried to fire it the slide jams. Maybe it's his fault for buying cheap ammo but in any case that shouldn't happen. Some of the ammo we've examined has deep scratches in the jacket of the bullet. I keep telling him to send it back but he's just to F'n lazy to call Springfield for an RA#. Me I take care of my weapons I may need it someday, hopefully not!!

          Comment

          • #20
            wheelgunner
            Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 183

            I have not experienced any more problems after switching to the Wilson Mags.

            I have not had any more problems with Wolf Ammo, Wolf replied to my question and stated that all of their ammo is to SAAMI specs.

            I did have a lot of problems with CCI reloadable ammo. Ammo would not let the slide go into complete battery. Case mouth on loaded ammo was very rough. I could run my finger over it and the brass would catch on the skin of my finger. Seems like their case prep is not very good or they forgot a step (crimping).

            Comment

            • #21
              Inkman
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 1116

              Around 600 or 700 rds thru my new SA 1911 and not one FTF or FTE with WWB. Works fine with the stock mag and the two Kimbers i bought for it too.

              Al
              Various 1911s.
              Some revolvers.
              Some rifles.
              Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

              They see me rollin'
              They hatin'

              Comment

              • #22
                JHC
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2005
                • 1382

                I have a SA 1911 GI in stainless and at about 200 rounds it started having extractor problems, I took it to a local gunsmith and had him install a wilson extractor while it was there for 3-dot sights but he set it with so much tension that it wouldn't work at all so I readjusted it myself and it's fine now with over 1000 rounds through it

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1