Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My G35 KB'd

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    B Strong
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2009
    • 6367

    Glad that you're OK, but all my major caliber Glocks have aftermarket barrels - period.
    The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
    ___________________________________________
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Jeff Cooper

    Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

    Comment

    • #17
      Bobula
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2007
      • 9386

      lead is a no go in pentagonal rifling barrels............
      Originally posted by Kestryll
      Yeah, don't tell that rat bastard Kestryll, he'll shut it down.

      Fascist pig....

      Comment

      • #18
        Mstnpete
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • 4039

        Originally posted by Corbin Dallas
        Glad to hear you didn't lose any digits.

        I'm going to go for bullet setback on this one.


        If what you say is true and there was no chance of a double charge and you're sure the barrel was clean, then there is little chance of leading with such a low count.

        I personally run bear creek bullets through my factory G23 barrel with no leading at all.
        Moly coated Bear Creeks are good. No leading at all. Been using them since 1994.
        Last edited by Mstnpete; 01-08-2011, 11:23 PM.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          Low-Pressure
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 1758

          Glad you're ok, hopefully you'll figure out the cause of the KB and learn from it.
          ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
          Originally posted by zfields
          9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
          Originally posted by bwiese
          Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
          If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
          http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

          Comment

          • #20
            railroader
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 3115

            Sounds like bad brass. I had 9mm case let go in a hipower and it blew out the extractor. Mark

            Comment

            • #21
              XDRoX
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 4420

              Originally posted by Bobula
              lead is a no go in pentagonal rifling barrels............
              Not really. An experienced hand loader/caster should be shooting rounds that don't lead. If the rounds don't lead, they'd be fine to shoot.
              Chris
              <----Rimfire Addict


              Originally posted by Oceanbob
              Get a DILLON...

              Comment

              • #22
                HighLander51
                Banned
                • Feb 2010
                • 5144

                Sounds more like a case rupture from bullet setback. A KB generally destroys the gun. I case ruptured a G34 with the same results, blew out the mag catch, and wrecked one mag, but the rest of the gun was ok, and continued to run it.

                moly coated lead is fine, even in stock barrels.

                Comment

                • #23
                  vega
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 2972

                  Glad you're ok.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Vanilla Gorilla
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 11015

                    Originally posted by bohoki
                    lead in a glock barrel say it ain't so joe

                    i'm not saying a aftermarket barrel wont blow but



                    it gives you a variable
                    HOLY !
                    That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. Dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines, here, and it cost more than you make in a month.
                    -John McClane

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Grumpyoldretiredcop
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 6437

                      Originally posted by feederic
                      The gun is currently stuck with the slide locked back and case still in the chamber.
                      Is the slide stuck in the rearward position due to a barrel bulge? If so, I'd be considering the possibility of a squib load being the cause.
                      I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        eccvets
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 1243

                        should have gotten a hipoint C9

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          modls7
                          Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 414

                          Originally posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop
                          Is the slide stuck in the rearward position due to a barrel bulge? If so, I'd be considering the possibility of a squib load being the cause.
                          The slide was stuck back actually because the blown case wouldn't allow the gun to go fully into battery. I misunderstood (with hearing protection, adrenaline) why when the left it locked back until I got home.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            modls7
                            Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 414

                            I just finished wrestling with the gun tonight. The head of the case popped right off when I stuck a dowel in there to try and tap it out, it was completely ruptured. I ended up taking a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer and chiseling a small tang out that I could wrap some needle-nose pliers with.

                            After it popped out I disassembled the gun. I was surprised but it looks like the only thing I need to replace is an extractor, everything else looked pretty good. I was EXTREMELY thankful for that melonite finish after accidental slips with the needle nose pliers . I will put my LWD barrel back in of course, and run that from now on. I do find it to be slightly less reliable but I guess that comes with the full headspace support that I need. I might even switch to FMJ after thinking about it for awhile to avoid lead exposure as much as possible.

                            I popped the barrel out and sure enough the rifling was completely full of lead for about the first inch and a half! I had about 350 rounds down the pipe with minimal leading, and after cleaning I had almost 150 through it before this happened. I am completely shocked at how bad the leading was, and I am not to sure why it happened all of a sudden. The pictures make it out a little worse than it actually is but the leading is pretty severe.

                            Here's the vid:
                            Case Rupture
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by modls7; 01-09-2011, 11:36 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              modls7
                              Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 414

                              On a good note, it looks like I'll be rocking more L10 with the 2011 .45 in my avatar

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                jackandblood
                                Senior Member
                                • Oct 2010
                                • 1125

                                Sorry what's a KB? im going to own my first centerfire very soon. in .40sw. Im guessing KaBoom and its not a diagnosis of anything just an expression.
                                Dont go against the grain if you cant handle it - Wu Tang

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1