Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Caliber or capacity?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    NytWolf
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 3935

    The real question is, if YOU were shot with a pistol, at what caliber would you say ENOUGH. 22LR? 25? 380? 9mm?

    Comment

    • #32
      kTC xDEICIDEx
      Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 408

      S&W 500 oh yea! 

      Comment

      • #33
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        Originally posted by steve parker
        Hypothetical question.....If you lived in a state where you could carry hi-capacity magazines or were LE in California, and the choice was between a Glock 19 (15 round 9mm) or a Glock 30 (10 round .45 cal.), which would you choose and why? I think I'd take the Glock 19. Even if 9mm is a weaker platform, it would seem that five extra rounds would more than make up the difference. Your thoughts?

        I didn't know that I can't carry my legally owned +10 round mags in Ca. Can you please point me to a law that makes this illegal?

        Even though I own plenty of +10 round handgun mags (some are +30 round mags), I prefer to carry a single stack 1911 in .45 acp than my high cap mags in my G21. So, I say "carry what you are most proficient with". I will leave the question of capcity vs. caliber to the mall ninjas to answer.
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #34
          cineski
          Calguns Addict
          • Nov 2007
          • 6205

          IMO, capacity is the wrong reason to choose any caliber. I see the whole "in CA you can only have 10 so you might as well have a 45" argument and it simply shouldn't be a consideration. I used to think that way before I had any experience. Shoot what you shoot best with. I went from 45 to 9 for my wife and I ended up shooting 9 slightly better than 45. Sold the 45 and added a 10mm for the woods. I'd rather take a 10 into the woods than a 45. But by this "theory" I'm doing a dis-service to myself because I'm not filling the mag to capacity? Don't think so. Modern HP ammo is effective on almost all calibers so again, just shoot what you shoot best. Now, I'd love to have some 17 rounders in a Glock 17/34 package.

          Comment

          • #35
            IrishPirate
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2009
            • 6390

            capacity.....shot placement is what counts more than anything and i'd rather have more chances to make the good shot if my nerves were all wacked out.
            sigpic
            Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
            People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

            Comment

            • #36
              maddoggie13
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 2076

              If I was a LEO, have both in one gun...not a Glock; but with a Para Big Hawg...45 ACP with 14 + 1.

              Comment

              • #37
                Civilian
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 32

                While not among your choices I like:

                15 rounds of 45
                Just-American
                Spyderco WTC#1511
                "Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
                "Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose

                Comment

                • #38
                  Lumpia is sarap!®
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 2267

                  Glock 19, but I'd waste so much ammo at the range with my 33 rounders.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    DaveFJ80
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 2066

                    I have my choice of of both.... 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP or 23+1 rounds of 9mm (both guns have HST +P JHP ammo). Both are setup for HD, and IMO, those 33rd Glock mags suck for HD use. It really throws off the weight & balance of the gun when you're moving around with it.

                    But if I had to choose one.... my go-to is my Kimber since the Glock will go to my wife. I also shoot my Kimber more accurately, but I can still easily unload 20+ rounds of 9mm from my G19 into a tight group.


                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Bizcuits
                      In Memoriam
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 6957

                      Capacity.
                      Owner of Patriot Apparel - Decals, Vintage Signs, Apparel and More!
                      Ebay Store Link
                      Etsy Store Link

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        RollingCode3
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 3221

                        This is my pick..

                        Any gun owner who does not support the NRA is a freeloader.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          bloodnguts
                          Junior Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 36

                          I live in Washington state right now, so you know what my answer is...

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            steve parker
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 28

                            Mostly good responses. Thanks.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              CALI SHOT DOC
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 771

                              I've always said that it doesn't matter what caliber you have if you can't hit your mark. Shot placement is everything. Just because you shoot a big 45auto at a bad guy doesn't mean your going to hit him, still got to hit your target and IMO 9mm is a great round.
                              sigpic In order to succeed, you can't be afraid of failure.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Striker
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2010
                                • 750

                                If those are my only two choices, Glock 19. Proven all around great shooter that is usable for many tasks.

                                If it's a hypothetical question on caliber vs. capacity,then the answer is whatever gun that works in the capacity I need it that I am most comfortable with and shoot the best. Doesn't matter to me if it's 9mm, .40 or .45 acp. When considering major defense caliber handguns, accuracy counts for more than capacity or caliber.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1