Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Modern 1911's

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    BHPFan
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 2264

    Originally posted by FUBAR
    External extractors seem to be more reliable and just about every modern pistol has them. You dont see alot of internal extractors on new pistols. Even JMB ditched them.
    Excuse me, but when did JMB ditched internal extractors on his pistols?
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ~ Benjamin Franklin

    Comment

    • #17
      ocspeedracer
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 1147

      I vote sig between those two...but I say internal extractor.

      Comment

      • #18
        redcliff
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2008
        • 5676

        Originally posted by BHPFan
        Excuse me, but when did JMB ditched internal extractors on his pistols?
        Hehe I was gonna say the same thing; as BHPfan knows for the first few decades of it's existence the Browning Hi-Power had an internal extractor.

        That said, imho the internal extractor on the 1911 is probably the most problematic piece on the pistol other than magazines, which all try to do the same thing in different ways with different feed lips and followers.

        I personally welcome an improved extractor. I hear good things about the SW 1911's external extractor; I just wish they were easier to maintain on a user level although you probably don't have to worry about it till at least 5k rounds.
        "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
        "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
        "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

        "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
        although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

        Comment

        • #19
          Colt
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2007
          • 1596

          Originally posted by BHPFan
          Excuse me, but when did JMB ditched internal extractors on his pistols?
          Must have been in heaven - since the BHP was his last design, and it had internal extractor.

          Comment

          • #20
            wu_dot_com
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2010
            • 1362

            tuning is require for an internal extractor to function flawlessly. thats one of the major reason why many modern gun manufactures decided to switch from internal to external (SIG P226 for example). on the other hand, external extractor require less tuning but its prone to contamination malfunction and external damage. in addition, an external extractor design also require more parts.

            Comment

            • #21
              jptopz
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 1100

              When I first saw this post I thought here it goes again! There are so many Sig haters out there. I don't understand the big problem everyone has with the Sigs.. I bet that when Jim Browning first designed the 1911 there was more than a few who thought he was nuts, and look at the 1911 today. It is one of the most beloved pistols ever made. The evolution of the 1911 from the beginning to today's modern has had its glitches along the way, but what an awesome transformation. My question is can the external extractor function with out any problems? If not can it be fixed to do so? Has the internal extractor had any problems? Have they been fixed? And as far as the Slide! Does that make it malfunction? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is it not! I hate it when people have to trash what others like just because they don't . Grow up! Be factual! Preconceived notions are not always right. I never liked Glock's I thought they where ugly, but now I own one and it may not be very pretty but it shoot great. I used to think that all Smith&Wesson's Autos where garbage until I owned one and it changed my mind. And Yes I own a Sig GSR 1911 and I love it! Sorry for the ranting and raving I just had to get it off my chest.
              Last edited by jptopz; 09-27-2010, 9:43 AM.

              Comment

              • #22
                9mmepiphany
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 8075

                posted by FUBAR
                External extractors seem to be more reliable and just about every modern pistol has them.
                You may have a misconception about external extractor = modernized gun.
                While the OP started with wanting a modernized 1911, I think his reference to "modern pistol" is directed to modern designs like the Sig, Glock and H&K (with their simplified lockup, linkless barrels and external extractors) as opposed to modern evolutions of an older design like the 1911. The last of Sig's Classic P-series (220R) was changed to an external extractor to address reliability issues.

                Much of the bad press that external extractors on the 1911 get is due to the poor execution of the introduction by Kimber, which had more to do with lack of quality control than a failed concept. S&W's experience with the external extractor on service pistols goes back to the 50s when they introduced the M-39 for the Air Force and their function is seldom called into question...certainly not on their Performance Center 1911 models, which have optimized their extractor design for the caliber. Sig's 1911 external extractor has worked without issue since it's introduction on the GSR.

                with internal extractors, including all...fully customized 1911's .
                all is a very broad term...and as chance would have it, leaves out the excellent 1911s built by Paul Liebenberg of Pistol Dynamics. Beside the external extractor, note the grip safety and removable front sight retained by the barrel bushing

                Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 09-27-2010, 5:54 PM.
                ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                Comment

                • #23
                  cineski
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 6205

                  Didn't JMB ditch the internal extractor postmortem?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    BHPFan
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 2264

                    Originally posted by cineski
                    Didn't JMB ditch the internal extractor postmortem?
                    I guess FN engineers got a revelation from JMB in 1962 to change the BHP to an external extractor.

                    More likely, Dieudonne Saive (creator of the FN-49 and the FN-FAL) may have done that as he was still alive in 1962 when the BHP changed to an external extractor.

                    Besides Saive finished the BHP design as JMB died before it was completed.
                    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    ~ Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Ed_in_Sac
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 962

                      Originally posted by FUBAR
                      After surfing the net for days I have come to a decision. I want a modernized version of JMB's 1911....

                      SIG 1911 XO Black
                      http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...&productid=126
                      I have that model SIG and it shoots very realiable, feels tight and groups great. One problem though is that Sig flattens off the top of their slide. I tried a couple of plastic holsters which it did not fit well in (had to jam it in). Settled on the Sig holster which fits very well but it is unfortunate to have my choices limited. btw, I did not try a leather holster, but would think those would work fine.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Sam
                        Calguns Addict
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 5205

                        Originally posted by jptopz
                        When I first saw this post I thought here it goes again! There are so many Sig haters out there. I don't understand the big problem everyone has with the Sigs.. I bet that when Jim Browning first designed the 1911 there was more than a few who thought he was nuts, and look at the 1911 today. It is one of the most beloved pistols ever made. The evolution of the 1911 from the beginning to today's modern has had its glitches along the way, but what an awesome transformation. My question is can the external extractor function with out any problems? If not can it be fixed to do so? Has the internal extractor had any problems? Have they been fixed? And as far as the Slide! Does that make it malfunction? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is it not! I hate it when people have to trash what others like just because they don't . Grow up! Be factual! Preconceived notions are not always right. I never liked Glock's I thought they where ugly, but now I own one and it may not be very pretty but it shoot great. I used to think that all Smith&Wesson's Autos where garbage until I owned one and it changed my mind. And Yes I own a Sig GSR 1911 and I love it! Sorry for the ranting and raving I just had to get it off my chest.
                        Don't take things so personal. The OP asked for an opinion, I gave it. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          wamphyri13
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 2759

                          The S&W Performance Center 1911 has a much taller extractor than either the regular S&W offering or the Sig. Buy that one.
                          Otherwise, get an internal extractor gun.
                          Or be totally unique and buy what you want, rather than what someone else tells you to buy.
                          Ryan
                          The following statement is true.
                          The preceding statement was false.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Ultimate
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 593

                            The Sig 1911 is butt ugly. I would get the S&W without thinking it twice!

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              bernieb90
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 720

                              Originally posted by wamphyri13
                              The S&W Performance Center 1911 has a much taller extractor than either the regular S&W offering or the Sig. Buy that one.
                              Otherwise, get an internal extractor gun.
                              Right on the money. As the barrel tilts down from lockup the standard S&W extractor ends up grabbing the very top portion of the rim. This could lead to extraction problems. The Performance Center guns probably have the best execution of the external extractor. Caspian also makes a slide with an external extractor that can be adapted to almost any 1911 frame.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1