Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.357 Mag is a nasty round.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scotched
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 12

    .357 Mag is a nasty round.

    I hit up Burrow Canyon a couple days ago with a few friends of mine. I haven't been shooting since I was a minor in the BSA.

    I brought a S&W .38spl S&W .357mag and an old .22; my buddies all have semi-auto's and shotguns etc ...

    I can still hit a clay with a SG (50ft) no problem - I was pretty on point with the .22 at 50 ft. The .38 was easier to handle (small grips) however:

    I couldn't hit a bowling pin at 10 ft. with the .357

    I literally felt like I was shooting blanks. The reloads I got a the range we're a little easier to use, but the Remington 125gr ammo (which cost double the price of .38 @ walmart) felt like it had a harder kick.

    I love the *boom* of the .357 - which was suprisingly louder than a Glock .40, but I would also like to be able to hit my targets lol...

    Any tips on using this gun?
  • #2
    pyromensch
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2010
    • 6881

    what is the model/make of the 357 that you used?
    That may be a CG first!



    Spyder

    "You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"

    Comment

    • #3
      Ed_Hazard
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2008
      • 5146

      Practice will help, also are your grips too smooth? Could be that as you anticipate the big BOOM your flinching w/out knowing it. But on top of it all practice more. Start of with 38+P and work up to full house 357 magnums. And oh yeah did I mention more trigger time?
      Originally Posted by Sic Boy
      And I bet Jobs surfs porn. If he doesn't, I'll eat a live baby on stage at the next Apple event.
      Originally posted by AJAX22
      Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.


      Comment

      • #4
        dirtydrew
        Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 209

        Trigger time with the .38 rounds... your flinching in anticipation

        Comment

        • #5
          KaTooM
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 1024

          Leave one chamber empty then try it. Make sure you don't know which one is empty. I bet your a twitcher.
          NRA life member

          Comment

          • #6
            pyro3k2
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 2649

            Nothing shy of trigger time with the .357 is going to improve how you shot with it. If you subsitiute it with .38 your just going to get better managing the recoil of a .38

            -OR-

            shoot a Mosin Nagant and you will never have fear of recoil again
            But I being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softely, because you tread on my dreams.

            Comment

            • #7
              faterikcartman
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2006
              • 1404

              I would suggest getting some snap caps.
              I would also suggest getting a GOOD set of ear muffs AND foam plugs.
              My guess is you are anticipating the recoil and the boom and you are jerking the gun.
              Try to spend about 1/2 hour a day just dry firing with the snap caps.
              Try NOT to anticipate the round going off.
              You do NOT have to keep the gun firm and not moving when you fire. The bullet will be out of the barrel by the time the recoil throws it up.
              Just try to squeeze off your shots without anticipating them. If you're surprised when it goes off that is probably a good thing.
              The double ear protection will also calm your nerves.
              I think you'll find most of the .357's bite is in your mind and the exercises above will help you get control of your mind.
              Good luck.
              I am not your lawyer. I am not giving you or anyone else who reads my posts legal advice. I am making off-the-cuff comments that may or may not be accurate and are personal, not professional, opinion. If you think you need a lawyer please retain a qualified attorney in your jurisdiction. Your local bar association may be able to help if you need a referral.

              Two Weeks!: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...p/t-59936.html

              Comment

              • #8
                redcliff
                Calguns Addict
                • Feb 2008
                • 5676

                Originally posted by faterikcartman
                I would suggest getting some snap caps.
                I would also suggest getting a GOOD set of ear muffs AND foam plugs.
                My guess is you are anticipating the recoil and the boom and you are jerking the gun.
                Try to spend about 1/2 hour a day just dry firing with the snap caps.
                Try NOT to anticipate the round going off.
                You do NOT have to keep the gun firm and not moving when you fire. The bullet will be out of the barrel by the time the recoil throws it up.
                Just try to squeeze off your shots without anticipating them. If you're surprised when it goes off that is probably a good thing.
                The double ear protection will also calm your nerves.
                I think you'll find most of the .357's bite is in your mind and the exercises above will help you get control of your mind.
                Good luck.
                Very good advice here... handgun shooting is definitely a mental game. Focus on the front sight and work on the trigger squeeze.... I like to slowly exhale while I'm doing it, seems to clear my mind and remove any thoughts about recoil/muzzle blast. I also use earplus and muffs when I shoot.
                "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                Comment

                • #9
                  scotched
                  Junior Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 12

                  pyro - I don't know the exact model # but I believe it has a 4" or 5" barrel, double action, fatty over-sized wood grips. Probably born around ~1960 (grandpa's).

                  Yea, I definitely twitch. When I don't count my shots, I usually catch myself tensing up on the *dead* shot. I thought the *weight* of the revolver would help with the recoil, but it actually makes it harder to steady the hand in anticipation *of* recoil, if that makes any sense.

                  Any word on grips here? When I have to choke-up on the fat grips, it causes me to angle up maybe 5-10 degrees. To counter this, I lock my wrists downward (like bumping a volleyball). It also doesn't feel to great when I lock my elbows. I couldn't really find a comfortable form that worked well. I'm hoping some smaller rubberize grips would solve this....

                  Edit: I appreciate all the tips! .38+P is safe to use in a .357mag right?

                  Last edited by scotched; 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Rotting
                    Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 345

                    Originally posted by scotched
                    Edit: I appreciate all the tips! .38+P is safe to use in a .357mag right?
                    Absolutely.

                    The snap cap idea (1 out of the 6 rounds being a dummy) is an EXCELLENT training aid. You want zero flinch or "forward push" (trying to counteract the recoil) on that snap cap round.

                    To get rid of your flinch quicker, I would just use 357 magnum rounds (not 38 spec) with the snap cap in your practice. There will be in the back of your mind thoughts of "But these are the MAGNUM rounds!" when you step up from 38 specials, so nip it in the bud and work that flinch out with the magnums!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      duc748bip
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 1081

                      It look like you have a missing cylinder latch?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        erratikmind
                        Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 325

                        Scotched,

                        One of my first gun purchases was a new S&W model 686 - 6" some 30 plus years ago. To this day, this is my favorite handgun. It has served me quite well through the past decades. As the old saying goes, " Practice, practice, practice".

                        Are you pulling on single or double action? Master you sight picture hold and POI via single action shots first until you are comfortable and satisfied with your abilities/progress. Then start addressing the double action pull shots. Before you know it, you will be able to double tap with accurate double action pull follow up shots. It's always fun and a challenge when you are honing your wheel gun skills . . . Enjoy.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JTROKS
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 13093

                          concentrate on the sights and follow through by keeping the sights on target until the recoil takes effect. Do not fight the recoil just let it happen. I'm thinking you are flinching the gun off target.
                          The wise man said just find your place
                          In the eye of the storm
                          Seek the roses along the way
                          Just beware of the thorns...
                          K. Meine

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            wrightb
                            Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 289

                            Ive got the same flinch, mostly with my 357 as well! I can shoot the 38s just fine but its weird how those magnums mess with your mind
                            Blessed are the peacemakers

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              scotched
                              Junior Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 12

                              Yea, the cylinder latch/screw flew off on the field - after about 5mins of searching we found the needle in the brass-stack. Gotta buy a screw.

                              I'm shooting SA, but I like shooting DA when I want to get the shots off quick.

                              It's good to hear that people still shoot revolvers here lol.

                              How do I find my model number ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1