Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SWITCH TO A DAO PISTOL?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gemini1
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 2230

    SWITCH TO A DAO PISTOL?

    I have a DA/SA compact 9mm S&W. I've been going to the range once a month for several months now spending between 50 to 100 rounds, I could shoot more per visit but I get frustrated with the little improvement on my shot placement. My shots are mostly on the 8 - 9 oclock spot. I have done all sort of practice (dry fire, breathing and all that I've read about), I dont think my problem is flinching but rather finger pressure. This afternoon I went to the range and the same shot placement. Then I thought about shooting DA, man was I surprise to see my shot went to where I was aiming at! I tried it again, decocking the pistol and shooting several rounds, all my shots were just an inch or so around my aiming point. When I shot the last 3 rounds in SA, the shots were again in the 9 oclock area.

    So I'm shooting better with the longer trigger pull than with a short one. Does this mean anything to you guys? should I swith to a DAO pistol or what?

    Thanks for the advice.
  • #2
    Mr. Beretta
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2005
    • 6614

    There are many excellent DAO pistols available in today's market. I know several friends who love their DAO Beretta 92's & SW's 3rd generations. The trigger pull is smooth & consistent.

    Some will argue that a SA or DA/SA is better for faster follow up shots, etc.. I couldn't disagreed more. My friends shoot very fast with their guns and hit what they aim at.

    The DAO's aren't for everyone but they definitely work great for some.

    Good Luck.

    Comment

    • #3
      nn3453
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 2245

      My guess would be you are anticipating recoil. I'd speculate that with DA, you are actually being surprised about when the shot it going to break. Can't tell without watching your technique. How is your finger placement?
      Last edited by nn3453; 06-27-2010, 10:08 PM.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        Toast
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2007
        • 841

        I'd say just practice more with the pistol you have now. Work on your grip which will make a huge difference in your accuracy, and trigger control.

        Comment

        • #5
          Foriegn power
          Banned
          • Dec 2009
          • 1035

          You know what, I'm a double action shooter since all I mainly shoot is Glock's and when I do shoot a single action pistol I have a hard time hitting targets, I think double action triggers may be easier to learn on.

          Comment

          • #6
            9mmepiphany
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 8075

            assuming that you are shooting with a two handed grip, i'm thinking that you are tightening your grip (milking) as you press the trigger in SA.

            many shooters have a more consistent grip as the stroke the longer trigger travel of a DA/SA pistol

            if you like the Sig platform, i can highly recommend the DAK as a trigger much like a nice revolver
            ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

            Comment

            • #7
              nn3453
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 2245

              Originally posted by drider
              You know what, I'm a double action shooter since all I mainly shoot is Glock's and when I do shoot a single action pistol
              Your Glocks are a lot closer to SA than DA
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                bigbob76
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 3954

                Originally posted by gemini1
                I have a DA/SA compact 9mm S&W. I've been going to the range once a month for several months now spending between 50 to 100 rounds, I could shoot more per visit but I get frustrated with the little improvement on my shot placement. My shots are mostly on the 8 - 9 oclock spot. I have done all sort of practice (dry fire, breathing and all that I've read about), I dont think my problem is flinching but rather finger pressure. This afternoon I went to the range and the same shot placement. Then I thought about shooting DA, man was I surprise to see my shot went to where I was aiming at! I tried it again, decocking the pistol and shooting several rounds, all my shots were just an inch or so around my aiming point. When I shot the last 3 rounds in SA, the shots were again in the 9 oclock area.

                So I'm shooting better with the longer trigger pull than with a short one. Does this mean anything to you guys? should I swith to a DAO pistol or what?

                Thanks for the advice.
                I suggest some professional training, and I don't mean just some guys at the range that shoot well. Even if you take a class with several students you will probably get some one on one time with an instructor pointing out faulty technique. I think it's always better to pay for training and ammo instead of finding fault with the firearm or system style.
                If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                Comment

                • #9
                  leelaw
                  Junior Member
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 10445

                  It means you are anticipating the recoil, and pushing the muzzle downward before you fire the shot.

                  Buy some dummy rounds and load them randomly into the magazine. You will see what I mean.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bjl333
                    C3 Contributor
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 7010

                    gemini, I actually think its the other way around. I think you are pulling the gun in DA, and as a result you are shooting to the right of actual impact. I actually think your gun is shooting left. Do you have an adjustable sight on the gun ??? If not then the range masters usually can knock the rear sight over to the right a little bit.
                    Here is an exercise you can try at the range next time you are there, but you gotta bring a partner along. Have your partner load the gun one shot at a time, but have him give you an empty gun every so often. You MUST not know if the gun is loaded or empty. (keeping safety practice and point down range ALL the time) You would proceed to shoot it SA like normal ... If on the shots that DON'T go off, have you partner check and see if you flinched or anything. Ideally your pistol would not move after the hammer fall. This exercise would determine if you are actually flinching. Because if you are you will see your gun have a reaction even WITHOUT it going off. You can try this in both SA/DA to see the results .... What comes out of it might suprise you.
                    I use to do this exercise with a revolver, because your partner can load some chambers with live shell and load some with empties. The reason for the empties is I could see if a round is in the chamber or not, so by loading empties /I wouldn't know if the next round is live !!!
                    Wanna learn to shoot SKEET? I am here to introduce all shooters to the sport of SKEET Shooting ....
                    CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT >>> SoCal Skeet Clinic
                    SKEET SHOOTING CLINIC
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      9mmepiphany
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 8075

                      Originally posted by bjl333
                      gemini, I actually think its the other way around. I think you are pulling the gun in DA, and as a result you are shooting to the right of actual impact. I actually think your gun is shooting left.
                      you think he's pulling his DA shots all to the right consistently enough to shoot a 1" group

                      haven't you heard of Occam's Razor?
                      ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Doheny
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 13820

                        OP, assuming you're right handed, take a look at this

                        Sent from Free America

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          GM_77
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 594

                          Originally posted by gemini1
                          I have a DA/SA compact 9mm S&W. I've been going to the range once a month for several months now spending between 50 to 100 rounds, I could shoot more per visit but I get frustrated with the little improvement on my shot placement. My shots are mostly on the 8 - 9 oclock spot. I have done all sort of practice (dry fire, breathing and all that I've read about), I dont think my problem is flinching but rather finger pressure. This afternoon I went to the range and the same shot placement. Then I thought about shooting DA, man was I surprise to see my shot went to where I was aiming at! I tried it again, decocking the pistol and shooting several rounds, all my shots were just an inch or so around my aiming point. When I shot the last 3 rounds in SA, the shots were again in the 9 oclock area.

                          So I'm shooting better with the longer trigger pull than with a short one. Does this mean anything to you guys? should I swith to a DAO pistol or what?

                          Thanks for the advice.
                          1) Check your zero to make sure its good to go.

                          Next..

                          I am assuming if it was a trigger press problem it would have manifested itself during dry fire but you make no mention of it. Since your dry firing is clean one guess would be its flinching with anticipation. It could be with the DA you don't know when to expect the gun so you don't have the flinch. When you get used to the DA you may or may not have that flinch manifest again so buying a new gun might be moot.

                          You should load one round into the gun and fire off a shot then dry fire once and see if you flinch.

                          I wouldn't buy a gun to fix a shooting problem.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bjl333
                            C3 Contributor
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 7010

                            Originally posted by 9mmepiphany
                            you think he's pulling his DA shots all to the right consistently enough to shoot a 1" group

                            haven't you heard of Occam's Razor?


                            Sometime things isn't as simple as it seems !!! Yes, I do think he is actually flinching. Yes, it is possible to have good groups flinching, not at 25 yds but closer range like 7 yds ...
                            Wanna learn to shoot SKEET? I am here to introduce all shooters to the sport of SKEET Shooting ....
                            CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT >>> SoCal Skeet Clinic
                            SKEET SHOOTING CLINIC
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              j1133s
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • 1343

                              Originally posted by gemini1
                              I have a DA/SA compact 9mm S&W. I've been going to the range once a month for several months now spending between 50 to 100 rounds, I could shoot more per visit but I get frustrated with the little improvement on my shot placement. My shots are mostly on the 8 - 9 oclock spot. I have done all sort of practice (dry fire, breathing and all that I've read about), I dont think my problem is flinching but rather finger pressure. This afternoon I went to the range and the same shot placement. Then I thought about shooting DA, man was I surprise to see my shot went to where I was aiming at! I tried it again, decocking the pistol and shooting several rounds, all my shots were just an inch or so around my aiming point. When I shot the last 3 rounds in SA, the shots were again in the 9 oclock area.

                              So I'm shooting better with the longer trigger pull than with a short one. Does this mean anything to you guys? should I swith to a DAO pistol or what?

                              Thanks for the advice.
                              What pistol are you shooting?
                              It's unusual for you to shoot DA better than SA. Perhaps you are rushing the shots in SA? The long trigger may have given you time to focus on the fundamentals and let the break come as a surprise.
                              Instead of buying a DAO pistol which will have a different trigger than your current pistol, maybe look into converting your DA/SA into DAO?
                              Maybe you are a revolver guy?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1