Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Polish a stainless kimber target

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kimber_ss
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 2307

    Polish a stainless kimber target

    I polished the flats on the slide of my new stainless kimber as well as the slide stop lever. I'm trying to imagine whether it's better to leave it 2 tone with polished slide and unpolished frame or just polish everything but the sights and trigger(aluminum). I'll post a pic.
    sigpic
  • #2
    kimber_ss
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 2307

    Here is a photo as it is now. It has been photoshoped to enhance the photo quality and add a black contrasting background....... Polish the frame etc? What's your opinion?

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      den888
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jul 2009
      • 10520

      Looks nice ! I would polish the frame to match also !

      Comment

      • #4
        ALOC
        Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 300

        I like the two tone. Looks good. What did you use to polish it?

        Comment

        • #5
          JBird33
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 559

          Two tone I think. You could always polish it later.

          Comment

          • #6
            Notblake
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 512

            I personally would polish the whole thing.

            Comment

            • #7
              railroader
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3115

              I would stop. I had a kimber gold match that has polished slide. It showed finger prints like crazy. I could imagine if the whole gun was like that. Mark

              Comment

              • #8
                Buddhabelly
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 1365

                Tow tone.

                Comment

                • #9
                  kimber_ss
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 2307

                  Well there seems to be a slight edge going for 2 tone, so I'll have to think about it. I polished the slide with a piece of 600 grit silicon carbide sandpaper on a granite tile(super flat surface), then used 800, then 1500 paper. After that I got the dremel out and put a wool pad coated with white rouge and then jewelers rouge for some time. The last thing I did was to buff by hand with a cotton cloth and "Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish". Thanks for the replies.


                  Originally posted by ALOC
                  I like the two tone. Looks good. What did you use to polish it?
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cobrafreak
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 1335

                    If you shoot it don't polish the frame. Looks like crud with fingerprints all over it. If it is just for show, polish the whole thing.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Citadelonline
                      Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 153

                      Leave it alone.

                      My preference is matte frame and slide top with polished flats on the slide.
                      Stainless steel, nickel etc. looks too monochromatic when everything is polished.
                      Last edited by Citadelonline; 06-21-2010, 10:56 PM.
                      sigpicNRA Life Member.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bjl333
                        C3 Contributor
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 7010

                        Originally posted by kimber_ss
                        Here is a photo as it is now. It has been photoshoped to enhance the photo quality and add a black contrasting background....... Polish the frame etc? What's your opinion?



                        That looks sweet !!! I would stop now .....
                        Wanna learn to shoot SKEET? I am here to introduce all shooters to the sport of SKEET Shooting ....
                        CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT >>> SoCal Skeet Clinic
                        SKEET SHOOTING CLINIC
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JTROKS
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 13093

                          2 tone. Top of the slide and back should remain dull.
                          The wise man said just find your place
                          In the eye of the storm
                          Seek the roses along the way
                          Just beware of the thorns...
                          K. Meine

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bayboydray408
                            Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 371

                            change that grip and youll be good!
                            I wanted to invent an engine that could run for ever. I could have developed a new train, had I stayed in the railway. It would have looked like the AK-47 though. MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              freonr22
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 12948

                              2 tone imho I like the grip
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by dantodd
                              We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                              Originally posted by bwiese
                              They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                              Originally posted by louisianagirl
                              Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1