Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock shoots underwater. Why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    4literranger485
    Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 492

    i think it's more a function of the ammo than the weapon to enable firing under water. as long as the weapon can cycle or drop the hammer, it should shoot. the ammo needs to have juuuuuust enough oxygen for the primer and powder to ignite and go "bang"

    RD Game Calls Silver Pro-Staff
    RD Game Calls

    Comment

    • #17
      JTROKS
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2007
      • 13093

      It's a fact that the northern salt waters of Kalifornia are infested with great whites and tiger sharks. Ya never know when you need a Glock Fortay to fend off the sharks.
      The wise man said just find your place
      In the eye of the storm
      Seek the roses along the way
      Just beware of the thorns...
      K. Meine

      Comment

      • #18
        tacticalcity
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Aug 2006
        • 10929

        It's just a marketing gimmick.

        Comment

        • #19
          BigDogatPlay
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2007
          • 7362

          "Glock shoots underwater"...... they can fire themselves now?

          -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

          Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

          Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

          Comment

          • #20
            k1dude
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2009
            • 15894

            Originally posted by limitdown
            Most stainless steels can withstand short periods of saltwater immersion. However, once you bring it up on dry land and air mixes with the chlorides in saltwater, corrosion can happen very quickly.
            So if you ever do take a gun into the ocean, make sure to completely strip it and clean it afterward.
            I keep a saltwater fish tank and there is only 1 place that I have metal (a metal clamp made of 316 steel) and that sits below the water line at all times.
            When you exit the water, throw the gun into a bucket or ice chest with a few inches of fresh water until you get home and clean it. I'm not sure how you'd lock the bucket or ice chest though.
            "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

            "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

            Comment

            • #21
              Nick1236
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 3843

              Originally posted by lowracer
              Since sound travels much better underwater, I'd think that would be hell on your ears, assuming your ears were underwater with you. Someone will undoubtedly post the video of the backyard "scientist" repeatedly discharging his Glock into a trash bin full of water.
              yeah, untill he shoots through the bottom and ruptures his gas line or sewege tank like a moron shooting into his yard with a glock fortay. Still funny to watch
              sigpic

              Originally posted by dirtykoala
              dont have a gun, let crack head break your window and super man drop kick you
              Originally posted by compulsivegunbuyer
              I grab my zipper and ask if he wants to make a little extra cash

              Comment

              • #22
                bernieb90
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2007
                • 720

                Originally posted by 4literranger485
                i think it's more a function of the ammo than the weapon to enable firing under water. as long as the weapon can cycle or drop the hammer, it should shoot. the ammo needs to have juuuuuust enough oxygen for the primer and powder to ignite and go "bang"
                Neither the primer, nor the smokeless powder require any oxygen from the atmosphere to function. Smokless powder, and black powder for that matter contain their own oxidizers.

                Comment

                • #23
                  cannon
                  In Memoriam
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 8589

                  Originally posted by lowracer
                  Since sound travels much better underwater, I'd think that would be hell on your ears, assuming your ears were underwater with you. Someone will undoubtedly post the video of the backyard "scientist" repeatedly discharging his Glock into a trash bin full of water.
                  Thats the thing about shooting underwater...

                  None of Mr. Sciences rounds come out the bottom or side of the trash can. So what is the point of doing of shooting under water? Well except for zombie sharks of course.
                  ^^ Said by some lunatic on the internet

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    slick_711
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 4400

                    Originally posted by Jim McCoin
                    I believe that the underwater range is less than two feet, bullet traps for forensic tests are about two feet deep, so you better have the muzzle up against your opponents chest

                    Jim
                    I don't have scientific evidence off the top of my head to refute that; but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of shooting into the water from outside it. My understanding was that a bullet entering water typically only penetrates a few feet, but a bullet fired from underwater performs slightly better.

                    You certainly don't want to be in the water with it when you do such a thing, without protective scuba gear it can blow out your ear drums. Also, it's either IN the water or it's not. I've had a G17 (and separately a Mossy500) brought to me that had a bulged barrel because it's owner stuck the gun in partially in the water and attempted to fire it. My estimation was that the barrel still contained air forward of the chamber, and the bullet had trouble displacing the air with the end of the barrel underwater.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      xxxx
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 1706

                      I am not a doctor, but I would guess it would rupture your ear drums.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        NeoWeird
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3342

                        The largest hurdle with underwater shooting is not getting the bullet out of the barrel, but getting the bullet out of the barrel before pressures get dangerously high. Water in the barrel in front of the bullet effectively changes that 115 grain 9mm round into a 1,000+ grain round. In high pressure loads, or longer barrels where the dwell time is higher, you can start to rupture barrels, gas systems, etc. Water behind the action can also inhibit and even lock up the action. It's like taking that 7oz. buffer and replacing it with a 7lbs buffer. The action just won't open which can also lead to pressure issues wince you're already pushing a relatively heavier bullet.

                        Glock addressed gun specific issues for police, military, and other nations with the maritine cups (as mentioned earlier). The cups, if I remember right, are supposed to seal the area around the striker and forward to the cartridge case. It ensures the striker retains enough energy to discharge the weapon. If I recall correctly, it was the Philipines that have the maritine cups standard on all their models. I've heard this was to prevent the high humidity from building in this area and causing potential damage to the unprotected internals.

                        ETA: Water particles transfer energy waves better than air does, which is why sound travels better under water. The concussion wave could very easily damage your ears, and if you were close enough or using a large enough caliber, I'd imagine you'd have to be cautious of other health issues as well, such as your heart.
                        Last edited by NeoWeird; 05-28-2010, 11:54 AM.
                        quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. - Lucius Annaeus
                        a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Once A Marine
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 1165

                          Glock doesn't market their pistols as being "underwater capable", and voids warranties and implied liabilities if you attept to fire your Glock underwater.

                          The basic design of the Glock includes water drainage channels. You know that area behind the magazine well that everyone wants to plug - it's there for water to drain out of the handgun.

                          The maritime spring cups are designed to allow water to drain from the firing pin channel when operating in an area where it's likely for the handgun to be partially or fully submerged for a short period of time. Normal cups can trap water in the channel, preventing the firing pin from striking the primer. Water pressure inside the firearm is bad juju, so allowing the water to flow freely when fully submerged, and allowing the water to drain once out of the water, is a good thing.

                          Sure, there are some SF-type high speed/low drag units that train to fire handguns underwater with specialized equipped handguns/ammo (i.e. the maritime cups, fmj subsonic rounds), but don't go think you can drag your G19 into the water with you and be some subsurface Rambo.

                          NRA Endowment Member
                          NRA Certified Pistol, Personal Protection,
                          Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
                          Glock Certified Armorer

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Wherryj
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 11085

                            Originally posted by winnre
                            This must have been before they invented "Sharks with fricken lasers attached to their heads"?
                            "What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?"
                            -Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
                            "Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
                            I like my guns like the left likes their voters-"undocumented".

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              BONECUTTER
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 2263

                              Why do I have the sick desire to get my dive buddy grab a video camera and go scuba diving with my glock.

                              See how my underwater double taps are.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Richie Caketown
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2008
                                • 4325

                                Originally posted by slick_711
                                I don't have scientific evidence off the top of my head to refute that; but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of shooting into the water from outside it. My understanding was that a bullet entering water typically only penetrates a few feet, but a bullet fired from underwater performs slightly better.
                                .
                                i think what you are referring to is water covalent properties and how at a fast impact it will stick together and act as a hard surface

                                Originally posted by xxxx
                                I am not a doctor, but I would guess it would rupture your ear drums.
                                ^this is what i hear as well , anyone confirm thiS?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1