Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Clean your guns!!!!!! (rant)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    nn3453
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 2245

    Originally posted by JeffM
    I rarely clean my guns and they work just fine.

    Maybe you need more reliable guns?
    22 semi autos do need a bit more maintenance and are a bit more finicky usually. That could be his problem.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #17
      wjc
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2009
      • 10881

      Agree 100 percent with the op. I look at firearms as "instruments" and would want them clean and functioning. I clean mine before and after shooting.

      It's also a good check for parts that may fail..say, a recoil bushing in a 1911 because it's broken apart from the grease/oil.
      sigpic

      NRA Benefactor Member
      NRA Golden Eagle
      SAF Life Member
      CGN Contributor

      Comment

      • #18
        Donk310
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 1798

        Originally posted by JeffM
        I rarely clean my guns and they work just fine.

        Maybe you need more reliable guns?
        Same here. I don't clean them that often, not only because I am lazy... but I just have too many guns and so little free time. I may take a few out to the range a few times, put it away, take it out 3-6 months later... then clean it. Despite my bad cleaning habit... in my seventeen years of shooting, they all went bang every time. However... before shooting it for the first time.. breakdown, inspect, clean, lube if needed... without fail.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          JeffM
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2007
          • 4359

          Originally posted by nn3453
          22 semi autos do need a bit more maintenance and are a bit more finicky usually. That could be his problem.
          Haven't cleaned my High-Standard Model B for two years and I shoot it every time I go out. Hasn't missed a beat.

          I don't buy guns that can't take a beating and keep running. Hell, I don't even have a complete AR anymore. They require too much maintenance and are boring to shoot.

          If you like your guns clean that's fine by me, but what's with the judgment on the members that have guns that actually run?

          Comment

          • #20
            Peter W Bush
            Calguns Supreme Overlord
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jan 2009
            • 4727

            I did a quick check on this one before I shot it and there wasnt anything out of the ordinary. That said, this was the first Buckmark I've ever handled. The areas inside that I thought were blued turned out to be dirty (it was a polished finish...). I bought another few things from this guy and they were VERY clean and well cared for. I'm just going to assume he forgot to clean this one or something. Theyre much harder to disassemble than all of my other autos.

            Originally posted by JeffM
            I rarely clean my guns and they work just fine.

            Maybe you need more reliable guns?
            Just fine isnt good enough for some people...

            22 autos are more finicky than most others. Other than that Browning (which works great when clean) I have some of the most reliable firearms money can buy.
            Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.

            Originally posted by TURBOELKY
            Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
            Originally posted by TURBOELKY
            put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D

            Comment

            • #21
              Peter W Bush
              Calguns Supreme Overlord
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jan 2009
              • 4727

              Originally posted by JeffM
              Haven't cleaned my High-Standard Model B for two years and I shoot it every time I go out. Hasn't missed a beat.

              I don't buy guns that can't take a beating and keep running. Hell, I don't even have a complete AR anymore. They require too much maintenance and are boring to shoot.

              If you like your guns clean that's fine by me, but what's with the judgment on the members that have guns that actually run?
              ARs have their place. I've beat the hell out of some of my guns and they still go bang. My point was YES a lot of guns will run just fine if dirty, but why try to push it???
              Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.

              Originally posted by TURBOELKY
              Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
              Originally posted by TURBOELKY
              put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D

              Comment

              • #22
                wjc
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Dec 2009
                • 10881

                Originally posted by Peter W Bush

                Just fine isnt good enough for some people...
                ^^^ this

                I understand that some people have a lot of firearms and it may be tedious to clean them often. I'd like to add another thought from the old school. If the firearm is clean when you put it away it will be clean and ready to go when you need it.
                sigpic

                NRA Benefactor Member
                NRA Golden Eagle
                SAF Life Member
                CGN Contributor

                Comment

                • #23
                  Tacom
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 762

                  Originally posted by Oldnoob
                  I for one ENJOY cleaning my guns. It's very zen for me.
                  Seconded.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    SJgunguy24
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2008
                    • 14849

                    Cleaning is exactly why I shoot my AR very little, I hate cleaning that thing. When I'm shooting my AK's i'll run a patch and maybe some oil and thats about it. Pistols get the same treatment.
                    There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                    The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                    The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                    The others, well......they just never learn.

                    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                    Patrick Henry.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      sorensen440
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 8612

                      My guns are cleaned every time I shoot prior to them being put away
                      "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Once A Marine
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 1165

                        Originally posted by wjc
                        If the firearm is clean when you put it away it will be clean and ready to go when you need it.
                        +1. It doesn't take too much time to wipe the firearm down, run a couple of patches through the bore, and apply a minimal amount of lube after firing.

                        NRA Endowment Member
                        NRA Certified Pistol, Personal Protection,
                        Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
                        Glock Certified Armorer

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          shmeddie
                          Member
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 215

                          I hate cleaning my guns. The only guns I clean after every range trip are my G21 (HD gun), and my savage 10fp (because clean is accurate). Everything else I clean when I get around to it which could take months. I hate cleaning.
                          "Charlie don't surf!"

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Snake eyes
                            Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 154

                            All of my pistols are defensive weapons so after each time I shoot one I not only clean but do a thorough inspection.

                            Firing pin, extractor, ejector, barrel lugs, ect. These are all things that could break or crack during a shooting sesion. Even with a badly cracked part it's still possible for your gun to funtion at the range, and if you relied only on range performance you could wind up with a SERIOUS failure if you fired the weapon in a defensive situation.

                            If it's a defensive weapon, treat it like your life depends on it.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              23 Blast
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 3754

                              There's a reason that in virtually every military organization in the world, weapon cleanliness and maintenance is taken seriously. I imagine this is true even where the legendary AK is the standard arm.

                              I personally don't like to clean my guns, but I consider it a necessary chore like washing the dishes or doing the laundry. Eating off a dirty dish probably won't kill me or make me sick, nor will wearing dirty clothes, but why would you do that?

                              When I bought my Ruger Mark II, I bought it used and evidently the previous owner was from the school of "My guns don't need no steenking cleaning!" the action was pretty gummed up with powder residue. I imagine that it probably would still fire and operate fine, but there's something in me that hates running a gun that way. If I were in a survival situation where I couldn't break down and clean the gun, then fine. But deliberately refusing to clean a gun is akin to refusing to maintain a car according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Yes, your car will probably run okay if you neglect changing oil and fluids when you're supposed to, and probably be okay if you run with low tire pressure, low brake fluid, etc, but why would you shorten the life of your car that way if it's easily preventable?
                              "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
                              [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Fot
                                Senior Member
                                • Aug 2009
                                • 1611

                                I clean every gun I take out shooting when I return.. It's part of the fun..
                                Originally posted by FastFinger
                                We are a dynamic community that reflects society at large. If there is a trait that distinguishes us it is that we're protectors of the the infirm, the elderly, and defenseless women (often sorority sisters who like beer & pillow fights). That means that at some point we may be called on to do battle with zombies. That is nothing to be ashamed of. .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1