Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock 17

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • okim08
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 36

    Glock 17

    I've settled on a Glock 17 for my next handgun. I know there are a ton of upgrades and accessories out there. What would be your recommendations to be upgraded first?
  • #2
    ponderosa
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 1192

    I'd leave it be for the most part for awhile. Shoot it like that to get acquainted. I have a G17, only thing I changed on it was putting in a 3.5# connector. Keeping the stock/orig one of course. Enjoy, great pistol.

    Comment

    • #3
      hybridatsun350
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2007
      • 5336

      very little money.
      Dom

      ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

      Comment

      • #4
        The Competitive Shooter
        Member
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2010
        • 103

        What is your intended purpose for the gun?

        Mostly I would say leave it alone and shoot it a lot. You may come to a point that you want to get different sights for it (the stock ones are pretty crappy). Unless you really want to pimp out your gun, the Glock will run perfectly the way it is.

        The trigger will really smooth out with use. If this a defense gun, I would not recommend changing out the stock connector. If you are going to use it for competiton, the 3.5# connector may be a good option.

        Have a blast with your new Glock! And come on out to an IDPA match! It's addicting!
        sigpic
        We carry Competitive Edge Dynamics, Warren Tactical, Competition Electronics, and other quality products.

        Comment

        • #5
          okim08
          Junior Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 36

          not more than a range pistol and home defense. but, love the fact that there are tons of accessories. It was between this and the SR9, but not too many parts for the sr9. Trigger job sounds like a good start, and maybe leaving most stock. I was looking at barrels, but it sounds like the stock one is good enough.

          Comment

          • #6
            The Competitive Shooter
            Member
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2010
            • 103

            You will only need an aftermarket barrel if you intend to shoot lead bullets. Otherwise, the stock barrel will serve you well.
            sigpic
            We carry Competitive Edge Dynamics, Warren Tactical, Competition Electronics, and other quality products.

            Comment

            • #7
              evidens83
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2009
              • 7839

              Night sights if you didn't already have em. Ammo, extra magazines, and plenty of practice is all you need IMO.
              WTS 10/22 Lasermax laser CHEAP!!!

              Comment

              • #8
                NewbieDave
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 1277

                This my upgrade list for Glock...

                1) Mag release, I have short thumb
                2) Slide release, my metal for my short thumb to grab
                3) Night-sights, to line up those sights better in dark area
                4) Ammo... so you can get better shooting it


                ~dpc

                Comment

                • #9
                  CornFedWB
                  Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 189

                  Spend that extra money on ammo to practice, it's a much better investment IMO.

                  Night sights wont hurt for HD though.
                  Last edited by CornFedWB; 04-07-2010, 8:36 AM.
                  Rock out with your glock out!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    localguy
                    Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 381

                    Originally posted by NewbieDave
                    This my upgrade list for Glock...

                    1) Mag release, I have short thumb
                    2) Slide release, my metal for my short thumb to grab
                    3) Night-sights, to line up those sights better in dark area
                    4) Ammo... so you can get better shooting it


                    ~dpc
                    Ammo first.
                    The Los Angeles Gun Club, Rule #20:
                    The noise will damage the fetus.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      usctrojan
                      Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 423

                      Shoot the gun first! So AMMO and Magazines (Turners has Glock Magazines for $20 right now).

                      Since defense is a goal I would try to leave the gun with manufacturer parts (preferably original). My logic being Glocks are reliable and are more apt to stay reliable not going crazy personalizing them. I am sure people will disagree... but its my life I am betting on this! Obviously changing your sites won't effect reliability (in fact check out the Trijicon night sights)... this is more in reference to parts like the springs and the barrel. A trigger job I would consider acceptable... but proceed with caution. A good use of money can also be found in a good instructor or a surefire weapons light (by far the coolest thing you can do in my mind)!
                      NRA Member

                      I Support
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bug Splat
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 6561

                        Keep it stock if you plan to use it for HD. Only think I might add would be nightsights.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Sillyguy
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 1300

                          what is this 25 cent trigger job?
                          For Sale: Sig P226 Holsters, Magpul & Misc Parts


                          Need photography work? Let me know!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            tbhracing
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2008
                            • 5523

                            Me-

                            - Extended slide release.
                            - Trijicon night sites.

                            Good to go!
                            Last edited by tbhracing; 04-07-2010, 2:26 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              hybridatsun350
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 5336

                              Originally posted by Sillyguy
                              what is this 25 cent trigger job?
                              Just googled it for ya... http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/
                              Dom

                              ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1