Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What constitutes a "locked container" for handguns?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wm97s
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 1207

    What constitutes a "locked container" for handguns?

    The law says that if you are carrying a handgun then it has to be in a locked container. What's legal for a locked container?

    Is a gun rug with a small padlock on the zipper OK? What are the limits?
  • #2
    Rekrab
    Valar Dohaeris
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2009
    • 5534

    Yes to your example, a locked trunk with no pass through also qualifies.
    Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

    Big Ammo Sale!
    Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

    Comment

    • #3
      butch952
      Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 155

      It doesn't matter if it is a hard or soft case only that it is lockable and locked car trunks are ok but glove compartments center consols utility boxes are not check here http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...t_a_handgun.3F
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        SPaikmos
        Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 315

        What if you have a hatchback car that doesn't have a separate trunk compartment? Is it ok to put it in the trunk area (not reachable from the driver's seat) or do you need a separate case at this point?

        Same question for a minivan.

        Comment

        • #5
          Rekrab
          Valar Dohaeris
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • May 2009
          • 5534

          Separate case.
          Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

          Big Ammo Sale!
          Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

          Comment

          • #6
            C_1
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2008
            • 1504

            I have a hatch and my guns are either in a soft case with the zippers locked, or in a hard case with a lock on it. Cant just throw it in the trunk like others..

            Comment

            • #7
              SPaikmos
              Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 315

              So, for instance, putting the guns in a backpack and using a combo lock on the zippers is good enough? That seems reasonable.

              Comment

              • #8
                Rekrab
                Valar Dohaeris
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • May 2009
                • 5534

                Yes, that is reasonable and that is legal. There is no legal definition of "Locked Container" the only standard to which you will be held is whether or not you can access the gun.
                Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

                Big Ammo Sale!
                Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

                Comment

                • #9
                  stix213
                  AKA: Joe Censored
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 19002

                  Originally posted by SPaikmos
                  What if you have a hatchback car that doesn't have a separate trunk compartment? Is it ok to put it in the trunk area (not reachable from the driver's seat) or do you need a separate case at this point?

                  Same question for a minivan.
                  Doesn't qualify, because reachable from the driver's seat has nothing to do with it. Someone sitting in the back seat could just grab it without unlocking the "container." You will need a separate case.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    wm97s
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2009
                    • 1207

                    Originally posted by Rekrab
                    Yes, that is reasonable and that is legal. There is no legal definition of "Locked Container" the only standard to which you will be held is whether or not you can access the gun.
                    While my question had an actual useful purpose, it makes me wonder if anyone has tried a paper bag with a piece of tape on it. Or something made of some material that could be easily torn open. Who is to say that gun rugs have to be made out of that tough stuff?

                    I am guessing no standards on the lock, either, so the Barbie jewel box padlock might work.

                    Not that I recommend anyone tries it, or that they keep their guns in paper bags.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SPaikmos
                      Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 315

                      Originally posted by wm97s
                      While my question had an actual useful purpose, it makes me wonder if anyone has tried a paper bag with a piece of tape on it. Or something made of some material that could be easily torn open. Who is to say that gun rugs have to be made out of that tough stuff?

                      I am guessing no standards on the lock, either, so the Barbie jewel box padlock might work.

                      Not that I recommend anyone tries it, or that they keep their guns in paper bags.
                      Hah!

                      At this point, I think you're baiting the cop to arrest you...

                      I would prefer that laws be kept simple and reasonable, so that the average citizen can exercise their own judgment. I hate it when they throw in all sorts of legalese to make it impossible to understand. Could you imagine if they wrote the law with specifications on what a lock is and is not? Specifying the material it is constructed of, geometry, etc would just be ridiculous.

                      It would be a nightmare to find something that complies.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mikeb
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2008
                        • 3189

                        I like a briefcase with a combo-lock. Seems like there was a question last week about if the gun was concealed when the case was open would it be concealed carry? I lost track of that thread. But, it doesn't seem to me that it should. If I have a briefcase and I put a smaller box inside to hold the gun, I shouldn't be guilty of having a concealed weapon by the simple act of opening the locked case.
                        What I would like to see is a locking "messenger" or "Jack Bower" bag. You know sort of a manly purse...
                        take care
                        Mike

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          disc
                          Junior Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 12

                          Originally posted by wm97s
                          so the Barbie jewel box padlock might work.
                          Along these same lines, is a TSA luggage lock legal for transportation in a vehicle? I've read elsewhere that it is not suitable for locking firearms in checked luggage.
                          ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            wm97s
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 1207

                            Originally posted by SPaikmos
                            Hah!

                            At this point, I think you're baiting the cop to arrest you...

                            I would prefer that laws be kept simple and reasonable, so that the average citizen can exercise their own judgment. I hate it when they throw in all sorts of legalese to make it impossible to understand. Could you imagine if they wrote the law with specifications on what a lock is and is not? Specifying the material it is constructed of, geometry, etc would just be ridiculous.

                            It would be a nightmare to find something that complies.
                            Yeah, I agree with you. But the alternative is that somebody is going to claim some day that a paper bag with a piece of tape on it is a "locked container".

                            Say you are out handgun hunting or something, in a car with no trunk, and you drop your gun case down the river. How do you get home legally?

                            The old paper bag and tape seems to be the only solution. It is only a matter of time until something like that happens.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SPaikmos
                              Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 315

                              Or you could skip the paper bag and just wrap it up in duct tape! Imagine a hard case that happens to be the exact same shape as your gun, with movable protrusions for the controls...

                              Thinking about that, I'm surprised that a soft shell is legal!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1