Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Feel unsafe at range?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #91
    DaveFJ80
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 2066

    When I was reading the original post, I was thinking of LAGC in downtown. I usually go there when they open in the afternoon on a week day (go there during my lunch hour) and there's maybe only 1-2 other lanes being used at that time. I only go there because it's the only convenient range nearby that allows shotgun. But on the weekends... forget about it! They seriously let any yahoo in there to shoot and then it's scary there.


    Originally posted by jc0311
    I stop going there, I got to La Puente firing range or Orange shooting range in Brea, usually during daytime hours. Insight attracts too many knuckelheads from the surrounding areas. La Puente and Orange seem to run a tighter ship.
    Now that I live out in that area, I was going to check out the rage in Brea. La Puente is closer to me, but from what I saw it's pretty expensive to shoot there.

    Comment

    • #92
      socalshooting
      Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 369

      Originally posted by orangeusa
      Thanks - I never thought they were open to the public - and very close and convenient for me!
      And I like the idea that LEO's go there. Evans has a lot of training, and I think that keeps some of the yahoos out.
      But Evan's is a bit expensive for an indoor for a year membership... and a bit small.

      The Sheriff's range is outdoor correct?
      Technically yes. It's like any other indoor range but the side you are shooting on is covered by a roof and the side the targets rest on is only partially covered...as in you can see the sky.

      Comment

      • #93
        jt1911
        Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 243

        Originally posted by Rekrab
        I giggle every time I shoot my Desert Eagle. I hope I don't make you feel uncomfortable.
        I think a full grown man who is giggling while holding a hand cannon would make anyone uncomfortable.

        Originally posted by k1dude
        I've been very nervous on BLM land. Once at an unpoliced outdoor range, a rough and suspicious looking group came up to shoot. We were the only humans within 15 miles in the middle of nowhere. They never went downrange to set up any targets, and were far too curious about what weapons my friend and I had. They never spoke to us despite our attempts to be friendly, but seemed more interested in our guns than shooting. They were basically shooting at the dirt. When we signalled a stop to go downrange a couple times, they never once went to set up targets or check at whatever dirt they were shooting at.

        We were nervous enough that we strapped on holsters/handguns and carried a loaded rifle with us each time we went to check our targets. They just stayed back and eyed us and our weapons table. We had eyes in the back of our heads that day.

        It was just getting too weird, so we packed up and left. I wonder if staying armed downrange kept us safe that day.
        That quasi-deliverance scenario scares the crap out of me.

        garuda, good to know the word is getting out. Maybe it will find its way back to management before something happens much worse than responsible shooters finding lanes elsewhere.
        Last edited by jt1911; 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM.

        Comment

        • #94
          gamma105
          Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 367

          when I read the initial post, I was going to guess Insight lol it seems like it's happening more often than before, where you see guys taking their gf/dates and show off. oh man, a few months ago, 2 guys came in with their pistols wrapped with NEWSPAPER!!! and before one of the guys emptied the mag, he pointed the muzzle at his head and looking straight into the barrel for no apparent reason, that's when I took a break, walked out and waited until they finished. I try to go when they open, usually not that many people.
          Believe and Achieve

          Comment

          • #95
            m98
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • 4088

            Originally posted by k1dude
            I've been very nervous on BLM land. Once at an unpoliced outdoor range, a rough and suspicious looking group came up to shoot. We were the only humans within 15 miles in the middle of nowhere. They never went downrange to set up any targets, and were far too curious about what weapons my friend and I had. They never spoke to us despite our attempts to be friendly, but seemed more interested in our guns than shooting. They were basically shooting at the dirt. When we signalled a stop to go downrange a couple times, they never once went to set up targets or check at whatever dirt they were shooting at.

            We were nervous enough that we strapped on holsters/handguns and carried a loaded rifle with us each time we went to check our targets. They just stayed back and eyed us and our weapons table. We had eyes in the back of our heads that day.

            It was just getting too weird, so we packed up and left. I wonder if staying armed downrange kept us safe that day.
            Your senses were probably right on target and packing heat while downranged DID most likely deterred one of the Worst Thing that can ever happen to anybody. Were those thugs whispering/speaking in another language between themselves? I've had a similar incident at one of our outdoor, unmanaged ranges as well. I was by myself so I never left to check my targets until a Few other "friendly" looking fellas showed up to shoot. The 'group' that was there never went to set targets and was just shooting at random targets.
            "Screw U guys, I'm going home"...:the great Eric Cartman

            10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>

            Comment

            • #96
              ancora
              Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 251

              That's why I joined a "members only" NRA sponsored outdoor range 19 years ago. It ain't cheap, but well worth the money. Have not had one bad experience. Rainbow Range, Rainbow, CA.

              Comment

              • #97
                Ranger20
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2008
                • 1610

                Originally posted by f33dback
                Yeah I've been there they have a "maturity check" at the counter.
                I've heard good things about the Rancho Cordova (outdoor) range.
                I had a post about where some good places to go on BLM around Sacramento, not to many responses, I guess if you find a good place you don't want anyone else to know =)

                The GUNROOM guys do a good job keeping the place safe but you always need to be on guard when firearms are about no matter what range or place you are shooting at.

                Another good place to shoot here in the sacramento area is the SAC Valley.

                Here is a link. http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/index.html
                Well organized and they dont take anyones c-rap either. A safe professional place to enjoy our sport outdoors without having to make that long drive to the BLM land.

                Sac Valley does not rent guns which I think is a plus. You don't get a bunch of Punk Homeboys with their pants on the ground... trying to act all gangsta with their rented 40... If that offends anyone... to bad.... it's the sad truth often at rental ranges. Hence part of the dialog here on this thread.
                Last edited by Ranger20; 02-26-2010, 9:17 AM.
                Join Date: Oct 2008
                Location: Sacramento Area
                Posts: 1,600
                iTrader: 89 / 100%
                Feedback Score: 89 reviews, 100%

                Comment

                • #98
                  gorenut
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 3072

                  Originally posted by BillPear
                  Try the OC Sheriffs range if you can get there while there open, my Wife agrees with me that, that's the best place she's ever been.

                  We also like the Firing line in HB they dont seem to put up with any crap, but a little pricey compared to the Sherriffs.
                  I'll have to check out OC Sheriffs.

                  I go to Firing Line in HB as well. Great group of guys there. I was surprised to see some bad reviews on them though when you google them up. I think its mostly because people got their feelings hurt. The range operators are pretty stern with the knuckleheads that come into the range.

                  Comment

                  • #99
                    ponderosa
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2009
                    • 1192

                    Originally posted by m98
                    Your senses were probably right on target and packing heat while downranged DID most likely deterred one of the Worst Thing that can ever happen to anybody. Were those thugs whispering/speaking in another language between themselves? I've had a similar incident at one of our outdoor, unmanaged ranges as well. I was by myself so I never left to check my targets until a Few other "friendly" looking fellas showed up to shoot. The 'group' that was there never went to set targets and was just shooting at random targets.
                    I always carry on my hip when "out there"...
                    and always go nat'l forest/blm to shoot.

                    Comment

                    • coltn46920
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • 592

                      In my experience at gun ranges, young people with firearms equals cocky idiots. Regardless of race. If they're in a group multiply their stupidity by 2 for each added individual.
                      Originally posted by deadcoyote
                      I will sit by the freshwater creek that runs through my yard and laugh, wait for the bay area folks to start trickling north, then sell off my cheapie C&R collection at inflated prices. "You like my sporterized M44 mosin eh? I'll take your middle daughter and all your jewlery".
                      you just gotta know how to work these situations.
                      Originally posted by Mitch
                      "Ruger semi-auto pistols are well made, but they are ugly.Life is too short to collect ugly guns"
                      Originally posted by flyingcaveman
                      Butt-stroking is for wooden rifles

                      Comment

                      • coltn46920
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 592

                        Originally posted by Rekrab
                        I giggle every time I shoot my Desert Eagle. I hope I don't make you feel uncomfortable.
                        If ammo weren't so expensive I would be giggling too.
                        Originally posted by deadcoyote
                        I will sit by the freshwater creek that runs through my yard and laugh, wait for the bay area folks to start trickling north, then sell off my cheapie C&R collection at inflated prices. "You like my sporterized M44 mosin eh? I'll take your middle daughter and all your jewlery".
                        you just gotta know how to work these situations.
                        Originally posted by Mitch
                        "Ruger semi-auto pistols are well made, but they are ugly.Life is too short to collect ugly guns"
                        Originally posted by flyingcaveman
                        Butt-stroking is for wooden rifles

                        Comment

                        • Rekrab
                          Valar Dohaeris
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • May 2009
                          • 5534

                          Ah, I forgot about this one.

                          The last time I was at the range some woman brought a rented .22 with one in the chamber out to the front desk. It was really crowded that day too. Glad nothing happened. When confronted about it, she acted like it was the range's fault. /facepalm
                          Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

                          Big Ammo Sale!
                          Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

                          Comment

                          • ca1903
                            Junior Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 68

                            Ya, I always swivel my head to check out other shooters at the range. Now I shoot mainly in the club's outdoor range and the situation is much better. Besides range master, we also have 2 or more range safety officers to enforce the rules. Many members had military service experience (lucky me included) who have no hesitation to enforce the rule/discipline. Of course, we know we don't need to be the drill sergeant all the time. Once as the RSO, one guy complimented me that I was the most considerate RSO he experienced: enforcing the rule fully while keep the shooters at ease!

                            In the other range, I had to be sure my back and sides are covered by swiveling my head for unsafe behavior of other shooters!
                            NRA Lifetime. M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903, M1911, Mausers, Mosin Nagant........

                            Comment

                            • dirtnap
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 1669

                              Avoid the rush and you wont have to worry about it. I shoot late at night, on off days. I'm usually the only person on the range and generally free to do what I want. They get a little iffy when I start running failure/reload drills and draw from the holster but at least I'm alone so there is nobody else to worry about...

                              Comment

                              • Satex
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 3501

                                Originally posted by jt1911
                                Anybody else go through this dilemma?
                                If I don't feel safe at a range, I quit going there - it's that simple.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1