Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Feel unsafe at range?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    minuteman
    Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 402

    If someone is being unsafe they should be banned instead of you going into exile. If that place lets them return after repeated problems then it's another story.

    Comment

    • #47
      Treb5
      Vietnam Vet
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jun 2007
      • 860

      Was at my local range a few months back when a father came in with his 12/13 year old daughter.

      He was shooting a pistol and she a 22 Cal rifle. Everytime he shot she would step back holding the rifle at waist level and sweep the entire range repeatedly.

      I mentioned this to the father once and then packed up and left. I also mentioned it to range employees who monitor the range via video only.

      I have seen other examples of poor safety practices as mentioned in the earlier posts. I pretty much just wrap up and leave. Better safe than sorry...
      sigpic
      NRA Benefactor Life Member

      Comment

      • #48
        benelli shooter
        Banned
        • Sep 2009
        • 49

        I hate indoor ranges. Kids showing off with their girlfriends are the worst. It is amazing that more people are not killed at indoor ranges.

        Next time you go, when you are just about ready to fire, look up. You will see holes right above your head. Scary.

        Comment

        • #49
          thefurball
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2006
          • 610

          I used to live on the island of Guam. A couple of the ranges there catered to Japanese tourists that had never seen an actual firearm let alone shot one.

          They actually had wire cables in each lane running from wall to wall through the trigger guard of the guns in an effort to keep the end with the hole more or less pointed down range.

          While I was there one Japanese gentleman still managed to shoot his buddy in the bum.

          Now I shoot almost exclusively on BLM land.
          Last edited by thefurball; 02-25-2010, 6:57 AM. Reason: typo

          Comment

          • #50
            cineski
            Calguns Addict
            • Nov 2007
            • 6205

            I'm actually impressed w/ LAX and am surprised to see a few comments toward them here. They do get crap people, but they get kicked out quickly (witnessed this once). Angeles is the best range I've been to, and Downtown LA range is the worst. I've never been shooting at Sharpshooters, but the several times I've been there has seemed like a good place to shoot.

            Comment

            • #51
              SCMA-1
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 4292

              Originally posted by cineski
              I'm actually impressed w/ LAX and am surprised to see a few comments toward them here. They do get crap people, but they get kicked out quickly (witnessed this once). Angeles is the best range I've been to, and Downtown LA range is the worst. I've never been shooting at Sharpshooters, but the several times I've been there has seemed like a good place to shoot.
              LAX is a good operation particularly considering the area they are in. I live very close by but generally will drive down to Sharpshooter instead primarily because it has much more parking, the neighborhood is less high strung and the management is very relaxed; all this makes for a more pleasant experience.
              sigpic

              "Wherever I Walk,
              Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

              Wherever I Am,
              Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

              Whenever I Return Home,
              Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
              - "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey

              Comment

              • #52
                Extreme Z28
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2009
                • 43

                I used to live near LAX range and never liked it. Sharpshooters on the other hand is a very cool range, never had a problem there with management or patrons (they also let me shoot 00 buck!)

                Comment

                • #53
                  BillPear
                  Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 386

                  I've been shooting at the OC Sheriffs range lately. I can't imagine them putting up with any crap there. FWIW it may be the nicest and cheapest range I've ever been to also.

                  Are you better off than you were four years ago?

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    polojeff
                    Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 106

                    The Gun Room, up in sacramento is pretty squared away. I think it might be the one that Ranger20 was talking about. They tend to kick people out after one warning and don't take crap from anyone. In my opinion, it's a good way to do it, not scary in the slightest.
                    Originally posted by dirtykoala
                    PETA makes no sense.

                    If god didnt want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      iareConfusE
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 4464

                      When I used to live in the Bay Area I would go to Target Masters, and the few times I've been there everything seemed to go pretty well, but I have heard horror stories and I have no trouble imagining the types of people that range could attract (It being in Milpitas and all).

                      I went to On-Target earlier this week on Monday, and I feel extremely safe there, especially since I went early afternoon on a weekday. Lots of RSO's, an the only people that came to shoot were people that owned guns. Not a single rental out the entire 2 hours I was there. Of course I can't count on this being the case all the time I'm there, so I'll see what happens this Saturday when I go back with a few friends.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Black Majik
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 9695

                        Originally posted by five.five-six
                        say what you will about evan's but that sort of c-rap does not happen there
                        Of course not. Insight wouldn't have problems either if they didn't have any customers too.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          socalshooting
                          Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 369

                          Originally posted by BillPear
                          I've been shooting at the OC Sheriffs range lately. I can't imagine them putting up with any crap there. FWIW it may be the nicest and cheapest range I've ever been to also.
                          I'll second that. Came there once with gf and they're pretty big on safety. They inspected my weapons before letting me on but very courteous. No problems here though it's only open for half the week and close pretty early. Free targets and low price is pretty attractive though. It IS considered outdoors so if it rains, no shooting.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            nmerced
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 2673

                            Originally posted by benelli shooter
                            .... Kids showing off with their girlfriends are the worst. It is amazing that more people are not killed at indoor ranges.

                            Next time you go, when you are just about ready to fire, look up. You will see holes right above your head. Scary.
                            +1

                            Holes on the lane divider, now that's SCARY.

                            When a show boater goes to a lane beside me, either I move far away from these yahoos if there are other lanes available or just call it a day and leave.
                            The bullets with my name on it I'm not worried about, it's the "To whom it may concern" ones I'm worried about.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              9unknown
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 645

                              Originally posted by Gh0sT
                              It is really fun to watch the current lineup between the bulletproof glass. It takes less than 5 minutes to completely figure out which lane has questionable firearms knowledge.

                              My favorite scene is the group of college kids. Individual at the shooting lane, loads mag, loads chamber. Two handed, sometimes one handed, turns around to the group behind. Firearm slowly turns the way his/her body is twisting.

                              I will never shoot indoors, unless someone is paying for my time.

                              my favorite is the guy on a date with his girlfriend that slaps the magazine in without chambering a round and wonders why nothing happens when he pulls the trigger. He looks to his girlfriend and says "man this gun is jammed, what a piece of junk" then proceeds to call the rangemaster to switch rental guns... true story. I was right there watching the whole thing go down. Sure i probably could've offered some advice... but it was much more entertaining to watch him looking like a complete tool in front of his girl.

                              I'm mean.
                              "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
                              -R. Kipling

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                socalshooting
                                Member
                                • Jan 2010
                                • 369

                                One guy next to me at insight didn't know how to eject the brass out of a revolver so he started to pry at them. That didn't work so he started banging the revolver on the counter repeatedly (even though that doesn't really help). Since all the counters are connected at insight, he almost knocked my ammo and magazines over. I put up with it for a few minutes but couldn't take it anymore and went over to square him away on how to push the ejector rod, right in front of his girl. I like insight and frequent them for their selection of rentals when I'm in the market but it scares me that the range owner/RSOs are just handing these weapons to people that don't even know how to use them.

                                He actually thanked me for it but left soon after he finished that box of ammo. I think he was too embarrassed and intimidated to stay because he wasn't hitting stuff on his target. I wasn't even trying to be a dick and wouldn't hesitate to help out someone in need because that's what I do. Usually I just mind my own business.

                                One time at insight, this guy rented a Smith 686 with underpowered 357 loads that the range has. He fires a couple of rounds at about 5 yards and then scratches his head because the target is still brand new.

                                Then there's the other type that turns around everytime they shoot one round off just to get confirmation from their buddies. You see a lot of this stuff on youtube videos too. I don't have a problem with it except some times they like to rotate their whole body with gun in hand. Carelessness scares me.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1