Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 always jamming

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • grnsierra01
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 18

    1911 always jamming

    I need some help guys. I have a Springfield 1911 A1 that has about 600-700 rounds through it and it has always had a slight jamming problem, but today i put about 120 rounds through it and it was getting ridiculous. I cleaned it three times while at the range today and it would help a little but not much.

    I was trying to find out what ammo it liked best, so I put several mags of Winchester 230 gr FMJ whitebox, Remington UMC, Blazer steel rounds and just a few 185 gr Winchester flat nose FMJ's through it. They all jammed a lot, but the Blazer steel rounds had the least number of jams. By jams, i mean that it does not extract the spent shell.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by grnsierra01; 01-02-2010, 3:29 PM.
  • #2
    xounlistedxox
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 2629

    Sounds like the extractor might be bent, broken, or in need of tuning.

    And by "several clips" you probably meant "several magazines"
    NO, I'm not interested in your body armor, do not reach out.

    Comment

    • #3
      brassburnz
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • 3553

      Failures to extract with a 1911 could be related to the shooter. If you limp wrist your gun, it will not cycle properly resulting in failures to extract and eject.
      NRA Life Member
      CRPA Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        grnsierra01
        Junior Member
        • Aug 2009
        • 18

        i am pretty sure that i don't "limp wrist" it, and I i looked at the ejector and at least what is visible from the top of the slide it looks intact and functional.

        i might take it by my local shop and see if the gunsmith can find something.

        thanks for the help!

        Comment

        • #5
          xounlistedxox
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 2629

          Even if the extractor is in tact it could be worn, or not tuned properly, so taking it to a gunsmith would be a good first step if he knows about 1911's.

          Have you changed the barrel on this 1911? The only other thing I could think of would be that the chamber is too tight.
          NO, I'm not interested in your body armor, do not reach out.

          Comment

          • #6
            grnsierra01
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 18

            No, it is the original barrel. Now that you mention it, I bought some Magtech hollow points and they would not eject at all and it was extremely hard to eject a round that had not been spent...i mean really hard! I bring this up because they had a slight bulge that outlined the bullet on each case.

            How do you fix a "tight chamber"? Can it be milled out or does this mean a new barrel is in my future?

            Comment

            • #7
              vta
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2009
              • 1672

              search youtube for tunning 1911 extractor. there are some videos showing you what a properly tuned extractor should look like. Have you narrowed it down to extraction failures nd not ejection failures? What does the failure look like? Stovepipe?

              Comment

              • #8
                Exposed
                CGSSA Leader
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2007
                • 1836

                What mags are you using? Try different mags, Chip McCormicks, Wilson Combat, and Novak mags are what I use. 1911s are very dependent on the types of mags they use.

                Edit: Not extracting could also be related to weak springs. Try Wolff springs. Again, thats what I use.

                Last edited by Exposed; 01-02-2010, 3:34 PM.
                WELCOME TO CALGUNS!! Search first!!
                New to the forum and got a question for an AR build?
                click on me ----> http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=14385

                Comment

                • #9
                  grnsierra01
                  Junior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 18

                  it has never been modified, but i will have to check into the warranty. i have had it for a little over three years and i bought it from a guy that bought it new but never fired a round.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    vta
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 1672

                    Originally posted by grnsierra01
                    No, it is the original barrel. Now that you mention it, I bought some Magtech hollow points and they would not eject at all and it was extremely hard to eject a round that had not been spent...i mean really hard! I bring this up because they had a slight bulge that outlined the bullet on each case.

                    How do you fix a "tight chamber"? Can it be milled out or does this mean a new barrel is in my future?
                    ummm. I would start with hand cycling snap caps a handful of times a day between now until you hit the range again. Keep an eye on the snap cap to see if it develops a lot of wear and you will start to learn where the problem might be.

                    it's not unusual for a dirty gun to have this kinda problem worsen as time goes on since you are getting more and more build up in the chamber as you shoot more. Really soak that chamber with something like CLP next time you clean it. I think those blazer rounds are actually aluminum. They tend to expand more than brass so it would make more sense if those have higher fte issues. Steel case ammo on the other hand do not expand as much as brass so it should have less issues with a tight chamber.
                    Last edited by vta; 01-02-2010, 3:40 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rero360
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 3926

                      Before you spend your money on a smith, you can try to tune it yourself if you feel confident enough. Its pretty easy actually, all you do is remove the extractor and you'll see that its kind of bent in the center, there should be a mark on it where they hit it with a flame. What you do next is bend it alittle bit more, don't need to hulk out on it, just a lil bit will do.

                      When you reenstall it, it should feel a bit more snug going in, this means you did it right. Then reassemble it pistol and go shoot some rounds.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        grnsierra01
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 18

                        I used the factory 7 round mags, a couple of Wilso Combats and a couple of Pro Mags. They all had the same problem and i used different ammo in each mag to try to eliminate the mags as the problem.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ducman
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2107

                          what kind of ammo do you use? I heard somewhere (forgot w/c forum) that SA are a bit finnicky when it comes to hollowpoints. Don't have first hand experience, too lazy to do search.
                          sent from my iPhone 1911 using Tapatalk

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            paladin4415
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 814

                            If it is a failure to extract the spent casing, then it is most likely your EXTRACTOR. It probably just needs to be tuned.
                            Do you know how to check a 1911 extractor for proper function?
                            Have you ever removed yours for cleaning?
                            sigpic
                            One guy walks over to the black rifle area and starts gazing. An employee asked him if he knew what he wanted. The guy answered "Not sure......definitely something black.............and short...............and tactical."

                            "I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
                            -Mark Twain

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ojisan
                              Agent 86
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 11781

                              1911s should always have rounds fed into the chamber from the magazine.
                              Placing a round in the chamber and then dropping the slide will bend or break the extractor after a few times.
                              The extractor should be bent to have just enough tension so it will hold a loaded round of ammo against the breech face.
                              This is checked with the slide off the frame.
                              It should take 2-3 pounds of pressure to slide the round under the extractor.
                              Yes, the chamber should be checked for build up of grunge, but having it reamed oversize is not usually the fix, especially if it has worked fine in the past.

                              Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                              I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1