Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What to get? **After range time**

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    dchang0
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 2772

    None of the above. MOVE. Yes, I mean it--move out of that neighborhood. The way neighborhoods go, they go downhill for several decades before turning around, and the fact of the matter is that you won't always be around to actually use your gun when it needs to be used.

    For instance, I had thought that being well-armed would protect my home against burglary. Who would've thought the burglars would be well-organized and patient enough to wait for everyone to leave the home before breaking in, stealing one of my rifles in the process? Sure blew my assumptions out of the water...

    Best thing to do is to move to a safer neighborhood where the chances of a break-in are as low as possible. Where you're at, the criminals are just going to keep pulling the "slot machine's arm" until they hit the jackpot.

    Do everything you can to survive and thrive, including buying that gun, getting a dog, getting an alarm system, and getting the hell outta a neighborhood in decline.

    Comment

    • #32
      Rekrab
      Valar Dohaeris
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • May 2009
      • 5534

      I agree with dchang...

      However, nothing wrong with getting into shooting!

      I actually purchased a Beretta PX4 as my first gun. I purchased it in .40 and I've been very pleased with it after 1,250 rounds. However, I'm not as accurate as I am with my 1911 in .45.

      The PX4 is a stellar gun, very reliable and lots of fun to shoot. .40 is a little more expensive than 9mm, but it's still pretty affordable as a plinking round. The recoil on it is very manageable(especially through the PX4).
      Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

      Big Ammo Sale!
      Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

      Comment

      • #33
        zcrehan
        Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 224

        I agree you ought to consider moving if possible.

        Also let me fill you in on an excellent weapon not on your list.

        The SigPro 2022 (9mm or .40)



        I personally own one, and I like it, a lot. The grip is a bit wide (I have smaller hands than you) but I still shoot it just fine and actually like the ergonomics that way.

        Some points.
        • It's cheap, 550$ or so new.
        • It is accurate.
        • It is very easy to break down and clean.
        • It is reliable, I have not had a single issue at all, can't say that about most guns.
        • Very rugged, strong, well thought out construction.
        • It's a SiG!
        • It's polymer
        • The decocker is not ambidextrous, there is no safety, the magazine release is ambi.
        • It looks good.


        Oh, and lets not forget about the most buttery smooth 10lb trigger you will probably ever use.

        Here is a Wikipedia page on it.


        Here is an EXCELLENT FAQ on the SigPro put together by fellow CalGunner Dr. Ken Lunde
        At Lunde Studio, we provide expert reviews and opinions on your favorite guns, optics, ammunition, and hunting gear.
        Last edited by zcrehan; 08-17-2009, 2:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to say the best part!

        Comment

        • #34
          RollingCode3
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 3221

          I voted for a glock 17. I bought the glock 17 as my first handgun 6 years ago. I have put over 8000 rounds and i only had two FTEs. Glock replacement parts are cheap and can be purchased online.
          Any gun owner who does not support the NRA is a freeloader.

          Comment

          • #35
            cineski
            Calguns Addict
            • Nov 2007
            • 6205

            Another vote for the XD9. Not too far off from the XDm you wanted.

            Comment

            • #36
              gumby
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2007
              • 2331

              I chose OTHER; sigpro 2022 or p-250. Both have been excellent for me.

              Comment

              • #37
                IPSICK
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • 4259

                I'll recommend the G17 or the SP2022. As for the mag release digging into your finger you could file down the corners. BTW, I'm a lefty also and did this with my G19. I use to own a SiGPro and that is one gun I regret selling.
                "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

                "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

                Comment

                • #38
                  Old Timer
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 825

                  You liked the M&P. It fit your hand well. You shot it accurately. It is possibly the best bang for the buck on the market. What's not to like? Buy the M&P!
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    PorkLover
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 951

                    i'd go with the glock.....best value for your money and you can use the rest of your money for ammo and training.....good luck either way....do you have an alarm for your home?......

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Legasat
                      Intergalactic Member
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 4151

                      Good for you! Going to the range is the ONLY way to buy a gun.

                      The M&P has Novak sights. Some people like them, some not so much. The sights are changeable on most guns. I prefer Night Sights anyway.

                      The M&P is a fine choice, as are others you mentioned. The M&P is priced right, has a lifetime warranty, and Smith & Wesson has the best customer Service in the industry!

                      Good luck with your decision.
                      ..

                      .........STGC(SW)


                      SAF Life Member

                      sigpic
                      NRA Benefactor

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        mcsoupman
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 685

                        I have 2 9mms. My first was a Taurus PT99. I still love it. Eats everything I have put in it, good weight and decent accuracy. I then bought a M&P and I enjoy the feel, but my accuracy is not as good.
                        John "the Rev"

                        Originally posted by Sgt5811
                        Glocks are like Darth Vader dressed as Hello Kitty. They sit there looking all plasticky and harmless and when it's time to use the force, the Evil Dark Lord comes out and rules the galaxy.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          GunLover
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 1039

                          Gotta love the sigs.

                          I have owned a huge amount of handguns in the past and my all time favorite is the P226r. I have owned three 226 pistols in the past. I now own 2 226r and 2 229s. If i had to have one pistol it would be a p226r in 9mm with 18 rnd flush mount mags to go with it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1