Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What to get? **After range time**

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    zx10r203
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 88

    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. And a lot of you have some very good points.

    The primary use of my gun will be for self defense and target shooting. I will be going to the range tomorrow and plan on renting a few different one to see what the results are and what they feel like.

    So he is why I chose some of these.
    Kimber: A friend of mine has one and I got the hold it for a while and it felt good. The grip size and fit was great. It also has a .22rl conversion available to cut down on ammo costs when it comes time to go to the range.

    PX4 Storm: I like the way gun looks and the fieldstripping of the gun was very easy. 99% of the reviews I have read say that it is a great gun. Very reliable, easy to handle, comes in 9mm cutting cost down for range time, I am left handed so easy controls.

    SR9: All the same reasons as the PX4.

    Sig P229 and P226: Have not had a chance of shooting either but hopefully tomorrow. Heard they were really good handguns. I was not aware of the recent quality control issues so I will scratch that off the list.

    But after reading some reviews on the smith & wesson M&P I am going to add it to the list. Will shoot it at the range tomorrow and see how it feels and fits.

    I do like the reliability and track record of the Glock but don't like the looks. Too plain for me and I don't mean the lack of controls but looks of the gun just doesn't do it for me. Yes, it is light, reliable, accurate, affordable, unbreakable, simple to operate, simple to fieldstrip,... but if I am going to spend my hard earned cash I might as well get something I am going to be happy with. How knows, if none of these guns that I like work for me, I actually like the glock. If that is the case, it will be the 17 or 34.

    Comment

    • #17
      hybridatsun350
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2007
      • 5336

      Wait... you don't want a Glock because they aren't as pretty as you'd like? I thought you were looking for a gun to use as a possible home defense weapon? If I were currently looking for a HD gun, I would be looking for the simplest and most reliable handgun I could get my hands on. When you grab it you want it to just work. That means no need to flip a safety or rack a slide. 1911's are awesome weapons, but they require a measurable amount of training and practice to master and understand. If I have to use a gun when I'm half-asleep at 2:00am, I don't want to be worrying whether I flipped the safety off or if I did in fact chamber a round and leave the gun cocked and locked. Basically, what I'm trying to say is "Keep it simple, stupid."

      That being said, I voted other because the M&P and Glock are both excellent choices and would not let you down.
      Last edited by hybridatsun350; 08-15-2009, 8:24 PM.
      Dom

      ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

      Comment

      • #18
        sholling
        I need a LIFE!!
        CGN Contributor
        • Sep 2007
        • 10360

        Originally posted by zx10r203
        But after reading some reviews on the smith & wesson M&P I am going to add it to the list. Will shoot it at the range tomorrow and see how it feels and fits.

        I do like the reliability and track record of the Glock but don't like the looks. Too plain for me and I don't mean the lack of controls but looks of the gun just doesn't do it for me. Yes, it is light, reliable, accurate, affordable, unbreakable, simple to operate, simple to fieldstrip,... but if I am going to spend my hard earned cash I might as well get something I am going to be happy with. How knows, if none of these guns that I like work for me, I actually like the glock. If that is the case, it will be the 17 or 34.
        Don't let the Glock kool-aid drinkers get to you. The M&P is every bit as accurate and reliable and is being adopted by police departments all over the country and some federal agencies. It has all of the pluses of the Glock but much better ergonomics.

        A 1911 will make you a fine second purchase and they belong in every collection. Just note that the 22 conversion kit will set you back about $300. For that you can pick up a Browning Buck Mark as a companion to your new M&P. That gives you cheap practice and something for your spouse to shoot when the two of you go to the range.

        Also do invest in some training. If you're in the southern third of the state then I recommend FirearmsTraining.com.
        "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

        Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

        Comment

        • #19
          Parabellus
          Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 203

          +1 on the Springfield Armory M1911-A1 line. Their customer service is highly regarded. They make a wide range of very reliable pistols including some in 9mm. As a certain Deputy has quoted though, 'A 9mm might expand but a .45 will not shrink.' I suggest the .45 and invest in some Wilson Combat 10-round magazines to bring you up to the legal limit. They load like butter and feed reliably too. Beware of the ~4 lb. trigger on this single action classic. Always keep the safety engaged until you have something to shoot at....paper or protoplasm.

          If you decide on 9mm for economic or relative recoil then try Walther P99 before you put your money down for any of the others. It comes in several flavors including a DA/SA trigger called P99 AS. The other popular trigger is the P99 QA with what is called a Glock-like partially cocked mode. Unlike the AS it will not fire when de-cocked. There are also compact versions of both AS and QA systems. They all can be had in 9mm or .40S&W. Just be sure to get one made after 2003 because the older ones have a proprietary rail that greatly limits your options.

          As for Glocks, besides being ugly, why have a gun with magazines that require a tool or extraordinary strength to load?
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #20
            10ring
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 93

            The best gun for you...

            It is the one that fits you. Like a number of reply's here based on people who have gone through this before.
            It is important to realize that Home Defense and Target Shooting have different requirements.
            I faced a similar decision you have here. I decided to go the Home Defense route and ended up with a Glock model 22 (40 cal). I learned how to shoot it and became pretty proficient. Along the way I found that I really enjoyed shooting. So I added to my collection.
            Glock was never my first choice, but that firearm fits me and I can hit whatever I need to with it in total confidence.
            The only other piece of advice I will add... Make sure you get a safe large enough to house your collection. It can become very difficult to just own one.
            Good Luck, renting/shooting a number of different firearms is money well spent.

            Comment

            • #21
              swerv512
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 3076

              1911- get a TRP...
              or get an HK USP 45

              Comment

              • #22
                eduran
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 28

                I voted for the 1911...when I shot one for the first time...could not believe how accurate they shot (at least for me).

                I also recommend renting a Glock...I've had mine since 94 and its been so reliable and easy to maintain. just my 2 cents.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Z ME FLY
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 6590

                  OTHER SHOTGUN FTW
                  Originally posted by 69Mach1
                  The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

                  Originally posted by 69Mach1
                  Z gets around. lol

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Chach
                    Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 386

                    Sig 226 is an excellent pistol, but have you thought about an FNP or Hi-Power? FN is another excellent handgun manufacturer and IMO the grips are incredible.

                    As others have said, I'd recommend going to a few local ranges and trying out a variety of handguns, see which fits you (and anyone else that may be using it) best.
                    - El Guapo
                    www.fotki.com/chach


                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      locosway
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 11346

                      The Kimber is a nice looking gun but it seems they have some quality control issues, and quite frankly I wouldn't trust my life to them until proven otherwise.

                      I rented a Storm and I hated it, so did the other guy I was with. So I wouldn't even go that route.

                      Honestly, I'm a Glock person now. However I do love the 1911's. You did mention Sig, so perhaps you should explore that avenue a bit more. In all fairness you should list Glock on your list as well.

                      Go to a range and rent some guns. What looks good in a magazine doesn't always shoot good in your hands. Get some time on each gun and see which ones you like and then go from there.
                      OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
                      NRA Certified Instructor
                      CA DOJ Certified Instructor
                      Glock Certified Armorer

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        zx10r203
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 88

                        ***Update***

                        Well I went to the range today with a friend and we spend about 3 hours there and a good chunk of money. Shot a total of 5 different guns.
                        Here are my takes on them.

                        Kimber 1911 .45 - This was my friends gun. Nice crisp trigger pull, felt a little on the heavy side, and the grip felt a little thin. My shots were all over the target. I think that a .45 is a little too much and with a $1200 price tag, it won't leave any funds left for any accessories. Not to mention $28.00 for a box of ammo. OUCH!!! I put 100 rounds through it with one FTE.

                        S&W M&P9 9mm - This was rented at the range. Shot 200 rounds with no FTF or FTE. The grip and ergonomics felt perfect. Fit like a glove. The sights left a little to be desired of but with the recoil of the 9mm my shots grouped a lot better. Think gun had me smiling after every shot. Since I am left handed this gun fits me better. 2 thumbs up for this one.

                        Glock 17 9mm - Also rented from the range. Shot 200 rounds with no FTF or FTE. The grip felt ok and I really liked the weight of the gun. The sights were great. A lot better than the M&P. After a few shots I noticed a problem for my since I am left handed. The mag release on the glock was digging into my middle finger (close to the webbing) with every shot fired. Did not feel good. I traded it in for another G17 and it did the same thing. All in all the glock 17 felt petty good. The groupings were decent, about the same as the M&P.

                        Glock 35 .40 - Also rented at the range. Also shot 100 round but had one FTE but no FTFs. Liked the weight and sights. Like the G17 shots grouped better than the 1911 but not as good as the G17 or M&P. Also with the G35, the mag release was eating my finger raw. But other wise was pretty happy with it.

                        Sig P226 9mm - Rented at the range and shot 100 rounds. Weight was ok but the ergonomics did not feel too comfortable. Had FTEs and no FTF. The controls felt good and in good locations like the Glock and S&W but my shots were spaced out a lot more than the Glocks and M&P.

                        So here is my conclusion. My wrists are weak and I got to work them out. So I will go with a 9mm for more control and cheaper ammo there for more range time thus improving my shooting. I am between a Glock 17 or 34 (even though I did not shoot a 34) and the S&W M&P9. These 2 felt the best. The M&P fit like a glove but the glock had better sights out of the box. If I do go with a Glock hopefully I can may be smooth off any sharp edges on the mag release so that it doesn't leave the inside of my finger raw!!

                        During these test I did not look a the gun's look but the way it felt and performed for me.

                        Thanks all for the help and suggestions!!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          locosway
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 11346

                          Looks have a habit of growing on you when you know the gun works and fits you perfectly... I know, because I own a Glock..

                          Sounds like you had a good run, but you didn't test the XD from Springfield. Instead of going and renting it, maybe just run down to the gun store and hold it. See how it feels. If it's a good fit then go rent one. If not then move on.

                          There are a lot of Glock accessories. Glockworld.com is where I usually shop, and they do have an extended magazine release that's rounded. Even though it's extended the rounded edges might be comfortable.
                          OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
                          NRA Certified Instructor
                          CA DOJ Certified Instructor
                          Glock Certified Armorer

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            sholling
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 10360

                            The sights on the M&P are Novak and may not be what you're used. If use can't get used to them there are plenty of others on the aftermarket to choose from. However if it were me I'd use the factory night sights for home defense. Since you're a southpaw it may interest you that the mag release is reversible. Also keep in mind that the grip size is adjustable by changing inserts. You can even get a crimson trace laser to replace back strap. Anyway here's a link to the fan site.
                            Last edited by sholling; 08-16-2009, 10:49 PM.
                            "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                            Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Mister BLASTEE
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • 754

                              Glad to hear about your findings. Good luck on your first purchase! And just remember it won't be your last

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Sam
                                Calguns Addict
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Jul 2008
                                • 5205

                                Originally posted by zx10r203
                                My wrists are weak and I got to work them out.
                                I'm sort of a big guy, 6'2 about 200 pounds and I have thin arms and not exactly strong wrists. I'm not some natural sharpshooter but with good technique, some instruction and a little bit of practice I was able to become combat accurate fairly quickly with the .45acp. I've gotten girls who are lighter than me, smaller than me and with weaker upper bodies to become comfortable and accurate enough with my 1911s within a couple of hours of their first range visit. If you actually like the 9mm round better than the others, fine, but I don't buy it when people say that they can't control the .45 acp round, especially in an all steel 1911.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1