Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

9mm vs.... **Resolved by article from SCMA-1**

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Untamed1972
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Mar 2009
    • 17579

    Originally posted by phamkl
    If there is anarchy that bad, you'll either be dealing with the mags you have on hand, or taking them off of non-CA 'residents' or pre-ban full-cap mag owners or LEO.
    If you're doing that.....might as well relieve them of their weapon and ammo too!
    Last edited by Untamed1972; 05-13-2009, 9:49 AM.
    "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

    Quote for the day:
    "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

    Comment

    • #32
      Voo
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 1702

      I've found from reading threads of a similar nature that responses will typically be one of the following..

      45 is bigger..essentially meaning, bigger is better

      40 is an answer to a question that was never asked as well as being snappy

      9mm is small but you get a lot of chances to make small holes and it's easier to miss (I'm adding the 'miss' part :P). also ammo is readily plentiful (except at walmart)

      9mm is as effective as larger calibers due to 'modern improvements in ballistics'

      Shot placement is key (.22 caliber is usually cited)

      handguns suck, get a rifle- rifle always trumps! its only .223 or of something similiar diameter. (I guess size isn't everything eh )


      what else did i miss?

      Yes, I'm making a small mockery of this thread by pointing out they almost always repeat the same thing. But now that I've summarized what the responses will likely be, can we please lock the thread now?? Ok ok..i KIDDD I kiddd

      btw, I like 9mm. It's the best round ever made.
      Aloha snackbar!

      Comment

      • #33
        Untamed1972
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2009
        • 17579

        Originally posted by Voo
        9mm is small but you get a lot of chances to make small holes and it's easier to miss (I'm adding the 'miss' part :P). also ammo is readily plentiful (except at walmart)
        Yeah....I'm thnking of getting a .25 auto, cuz whenever I go by the counter at walmart all they have is shotgun ammo and a few boxes of .25 auto.

        It doesn't matter which round, 9mm or .45, is better.....if you can't get either of them then niether of them will do you any good.
        "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

        Quote for the day:
        "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

        Comment

        • #34
          HowardW56
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2003
          • 5901

          This issue has been and will continue to be debated; there will never be a true consensus as to which caliber is the best...

          The best caliber is the one you never have to use...

          That said, there is no doubt that almost any caliber will do the job with proper shot placement and within range limitations of the caliber.



          Use what you are the most proficient with, if that is not available, use whatever is!
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #35
            Legasat
            Intergalactic Member
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2009
            • 4151

            Originally posted by GP3
            45 = most damage per single bullet.
            9 = most shots fired per magazine.
            Hmmm, in Kalifornia, you can only have 10 round mags. I only buy handguns with 10 round mags. So, equal number of shots per mag.

            IF i had a choice, I'd have to go with .45, but would not feel ill-equipped if I had a 9mm.
            ..

            .........STGC(SW)


            SAF Life Member

            sigpic
            NRA Benefactor

            Comment

            • #36
              Tillers_Rule
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 1034

              Originally posted by Vin496
              I always find the argument "9mm because you can find it everywhere" funny.

              This is America where .45 is the king and has been for almost 100 years. If we where in the jungles of some African Country, then yes a 9mm, but in the good old USA.

              45 is everywhere, has been for a long time and will be
              .
              That's odd, I haven't been able to find .45 on the shelves in over 5 months. I can pick up 9mm nearly every time I need it. Just this morning as a matter of fact!

              The .45 that I have on order from Cabelas in scheduled to come in 7/15/09!!

              I agree that .45 is a badass round, but I think 9mm is much more available.
              Last edited by Tillers_Rule; 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM.
              sigpic
              "Don't steal, the Government hates competition."

              Comment

              • #37
                Rob Roy
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2008
                • 1261

                If you have to move on foot a lot and carry other stuff, the heavier hadngun like .45 is not ideal. HD .45 is ideal. SHTF, I don't think so.

                Comment

                • #38
                  spyderco monkey
                  Member
                  • May 2008
                  • 171

                  I love my .45; its what I was raised on and have shot the most, by far, of all my calibers.

                  But, at 21grams per round, you add one pound of weight to your gear per 20 rounds of .45. If, post earthquake/zombies/global tinfoil shortage, your bugging out on foot, with at least a gallon of water + 10-30lbs of other supplies, .45 is going to be a real drag.

                  In any bug out scenario, I'm going for the 5.7x28mm, which is more than 2x lighter per cartridge than 9mm, and 3x lighter per cartridge than .45.

                  Custom loaded ammo puts a 28gr bullet at 2600 fps for 420ftlbs, is accurate beyond 100 yards, and has minimal recoil. 1000 rounds only weighs 15lbs and stores in a 8"x8"x8" cube, and a 50 round box fits easily in a pocket.

                  If that is too exotic/too expensive an option, .357 SIG seems the ideal runner up for SHTF caliber of choice. Slightly heavier than the 9mm, but way lighter than the .45, with advantages in range, penetration, and energy over either. Can also carry a .40 and 9mm barrel as well, to use any ammo you may find. For HD use the .45; when bugging out, switch to the 10mm upper with the .357 sig barel (or 9x25 dillon if your fighting the terminator lol)

                  Hopefully this all remains theoretical, cuz I for am enjoying my creature comforts.
                  Last edited by spyderco monkey; 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Untamed1972
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 17579

                    In "I Am Legend" the zombies only came out in the dark.....so as long as only go out in the day or just carry one of those million candle power lights at night that's all you should need! LOL
                    "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

                    Quote for the day:
                    "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Untamed1972
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 17579

                      Originally posted by Tillers_Rule
                      That's odd, I haven't been able to find .45 on the shelves in over 5 months. I can pick up 9mm nearly every time I need it. Just this morning as a matter of fact!

                      The .45 that I have on order from Cabelas in scheduled to come in 7/15/09!!

                      I agree that .45 is a badass round, but I think 9mm is much more available.
                      Where are you finding 9mm? I can't seem to find it anywhere accept in small overly priced quantities or fighting the crowds at the gunshow ammo table.
                      "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

                      Quote for the day:
                      "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        oghl888
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2005
                        • 612

                        Which ever I get to faster. Power in handgun calibers are all pretty weak. The difference between a 9mm and 45ACP is not that significant in my humble opinion. I think all the energy spent on caliber selection can be (and should be) better used in getting better at hitting the target more efficiently.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          dgey
                          Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 431

                          I personally like 45 acp, but it's all about shot placement. if you hit the ocular cavity, a 22 lr round will be just as effective.
                          Doug

                          The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals...[I]t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.
                          --- Oct 7, 1789, Hist. Soc.-A.G. Papers, 2

                          support your local gun dealer in CA as they are a rare breed and subject to nonexistence...

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Tillers_Rule
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 1034

                            Originally posted by Untamed1972
                            Where are you finding 9mm? I can't seem to find it anywhere accept in small overly priced quantities or fighting the crowds at the gunshow ammo table.
                            So Cal Guns in Kearny Mesa routinely has it by the pallet. This morning I picked up two boxes at Wal Mart in Kearny Mesa.
                            sigpic
                            "Don't steal, the Government hates competition."

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              punisheryayarea
                              In Memoriam
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 1932

                              But for Califronia you can only have a 10rd mag so go with the 40 or 45
                              sigpic
                              WTS JL audio 8W7 X2, JL audio 500/1v2, Alpine Ine-940, Stinger Cap!!
                              http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5#post17991865
                              WTS SIG MPX CARBINE, SIG MPX PISTOL, NIGHTHAWK CUSTOM PREDATOR, Acog in .308!
                              http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1186395

                              Originally posted by Grunt81
                              I'm serious.
                              Are you one of those .45 elitists?

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Untamed1972
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 17579

                                Originally posted by Tillers_Rule
                                So Cal Guns in Kearny Mesa routinely has it by the pallet. This morning I picked up two boxes at Wal Mart in Kearny Mesa.
                                Will hafta check out SoCal. Are you a 6am Wal Mart shopper? LOL
                                "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

                                Quote for the day:
                                "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1