Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Double Stack vs. Single Stack
Collapse
X
-
Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017
-
Originally posted by G. Michael HopfHard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.Comment
-
Agree.....CCWs are still relatively rare in Cali and most people have absolutely no idea that some normal citizens are walking around with protection.
.Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017
Comment
-
I use a Springfield XD9 Subcompact. I do have a standard mag and an extended mag thanks to freedom week, as well as the 2 ten rounders it came with. This time of year, I find myself with my LCP more often; the Springfield works the rest of the year at a 3:30/4:00 position.Comment
-
I just bought one of those thirty minutes ago — the two tone, stainless steel slide one.I use a Springfield XD9 Subcompact. I do have a standard mag and an extended mag thanks to freedom week, as well as the 2 ten rounders it came with. This time of year, I find myself with my LCP more often; the Springfield works the rest of the year at a 3:30/4:00 position.
Could you carry it at 3:00? Canted slightly forward? Do you worry about butt of gun printing when wearing just a T shirt? What holster do you use? I am planning on using a Vedder Light Tuck.
Thank you for your reply, Calif Hunter!Last edited by Centralcoastguy; 09-12-2019, 1:32 PM.Comment
-
Unlike Bill Ruger I believe anyone of good standing should be able to own any capacity magaazine they desire. Want to get that ou of the way before my next statement. I did get some 20 rnd mags for my German Sig 226 and a few different standard cap mags for other guns during freedom week.
I prefer single stack soley for concealability reasons or ease of carry. When I got my first Glock 20 in the early nineties it came with 2 15rnd mags and I thought it absurd to have all those rounds to make the handle essentialy a 2x4.
The transition from say from my LadySmith 9mm isn't a problem with my somewhat larger than average paws. I prefer smaller grips on my n frames for a more controlable grip, to me anyway.Comment
-
It's very simple...what gun do you want to fight with? What gun do you want to bet your life and/or the lives of your family on?
A subcompact, short sight radius'd, reduced capacity, greater recoiling, weapon that I can barely get my hand on the grip, is NOT the gun I want to fight with when my life depends on it. But that's me. If it works for you, great. Glock 19 size is as small as I go. YMMV."Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."
Fighter PilotComment
-
It's very simple...what gun do you want to fight with? What gun do you want to bet your life and/or the lives of your family on?
A subcompact, short sight radius'd, reduced capacity, greater recoiling, weapon that I can barely get my hand on the grip, is NOT the gun I want to fight with when my life depends on it. But that's me. If it works for you, great. Glock 19 size is as small as I go. YMMV.NRA Lifetime Member
1A-2A = -1AComment
-
I totally agree. I bought an Ruger LCR .38 and I could barely get three fingers around the tiny stock grip. First thing I did was to buy a bigger grip and replace the stock one. Unless you have tiny hands, these micro sized guns and so concealable but hard to shoot well. I always thought I would pocket carry my snubbie, but by the time I dig out my gun from my pocket and get a semi-good grip on small five round gun, it is a less than ideal situation. I never pocket carry.It's very simple...what gun do you want to fight with? What gun do you want to bet your life and/or the lives of your family on?
A subcompact, short sight radius'd, reduced capacity, greater recoiling, weapon that I can barely get my hand on the grip, is NOT the gun I want to fight with when my life depends on it. But that's me. If it works for you, great. Glock 19 size is as small as I go. YMMV.
When it is so humid you are sweating through your clothes and you feel every ounce of a gun, then that is a special occasion and wear what you need to. But I am moving to double stack pistols at 3:30 that I can grab quickly, grip fully, and shoot straight. They are a bit bigger than single stack, yes, but we are not talking huge differences. A Glock 26 is still very concealable.
I bought a shotgun last year with a small-ish stock and replaced that right away with a longer, better butt stock. 12 gauge or 20 gauge seem to me less important than having a good, secure, solid supportive shooting platform for stable firing. Don’t understand those cut down pistol grip shotguns without a stock. Never did get the micro Ruger LCP gun thing. There is such a thing as a too small gun for CCW, unless you have tiny hands.
On the other hand, to carry a Desert Eagle or some other big heavy all steel gun CCW that is like carrying an anchor in your pants? That goes to an extreme in the opposite direction. I suspect all of us through learned experience over months and years of EDC will find the sweet spot — Aristotle’s “Golden Mean.” And it will probably change as we age and our bodies change.
Thank you for all the postings. I learned much from these exchanges. Thank you.Last edited by Centralcoastguy; 09-16-2019, 9:35 PM.Comment
-
I totally agree. I bought an LCR .38 and I could barely get three fingers around the tiny stock grip. First thing I did was to buy a bigger grip and replace the stock one. Unless you have tiny hands, these micro sized guns and so concealable but hard to shoot well. I always thought I would pocket carry my snubbie, but by the time I dig out my gun from my pocket and get a semi-good grip on small five round gun, it is a less than ideal situation. I never pocket carry.
When it is so humid you are sweating through your clothes and you feel every ounce of a gun, then that is a special occasion and wear what you need to. But I am moving to double stack pistols at 3:30 that I can grab quickly, grip fully, and shoot straight. They are a bit bigger than single stack, yes, but we are not talking huge differences. A Glock 26 is still very concealable.
I bought a shotgun last year with a small-ish stock and replaced that right away with a longer, better butt stock. 12 gauge or 20 gauge seem to me less important than having a good, secure, solid supportive shooting platform for shooting. Don’t understand those cut down pistol grip shotguns without a stock. Never did get the micro LCP gun thing. There is such a thing as a too small gun for CCW, unless you have tiny hands.
I currently CcW a G26 and a G30S at 3:30 with no issues.
I just got my G19 Gen 5 MOS out of jail, tried it out with a red dot optic, and think it can be doable as a CCW....with the right holster. I’m thinking I’ll want a claw, or possibly the Bravo Concealment Torsion holster with a bend/angle on it, to keep the grip tight to the body.
Again, I’m only 5’9” and 145 lbs....they are all double stack guns.
.Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017
Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,412
Posts: 25,147,554
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,927
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 22785 users online. 76 members and 22709 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment