Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

660 ft pound 357 sig vs 10mm

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    floogy
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 2741

    A lightweight 40 will do the same thing as the 357 Sig. A 135 grain bullet vs a 125 grain in the same case is going to be almost identical. The 357 Sig is in the same class as 9mm, 40 and 45. It's for short range defense against humans.

    The 10mm and 9x25 Dillon are the next step up and probably better dedicated hunting rounds. It's also a trade off. Pure ft-lbs of ME doesn't translate to an efficient kill on game. It also needs to penetrate far enough. I don't think pushing a light bullet as fast as it will go makes for the best hunting round.

    If I was stuck with a semi auto that had a 9mm size frame for hunting, I'd just go with 40 and adjust bullet type as needed. It would probably be sufficient for small/medium deer and hogs, but you'd have to get almost within bow range to make your shot count. In other words, not ideal.

    I think the 460 S&W would make an ideal hunting handgun. It can use a wide variety of ammunition and is a couple steps above even the 10mm.

    Comment

    • #47
      crufflers
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jul 2011
      • 12723

      Originally posted by floogy
      The 10mm and 9x25 Dillon are the next step up and probably better dedicated hunting rounds. It's also a trade off. Pure ft-lbs of ME doesn't translate to an efficient kill on game. It also needs to penetrate far enough. I don't think pushing a light bullet as fast as it will go makes for the best hunting round.
      Yeah, hard cast lead in a 10mm from Underwood you can get a 220 grain @ 1200 fps... 700+ ft lbs.

      A 155 grain in 10mm is still heavier than anything I have in 9mm... 147 grain HST, and pretty slow @ 1000 fps.

      Comment

      • #48
        crufflers
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2011
        • 12723

        Getting into 9x25 used to be a lot cheaper... $100 LW barrel and order some Underwood that used to be a lot cheaper. Now the barrel is $220+ and the ammo is hard to get and more expensive.

        If I got one, I guess I'd get the 6" for the G40... I have the G20, and gen3 G29 SF also. The barrel should fit the gen4 G20 and G40 slides. Probably something I won't do if I didn't do it back when it was easier.

        Comment

        • #49
          JTROKS
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2007
          • 13093

          Yup! Been looking for a 9” 10mm barrel for my G40. Should get 100 to 150 FPS with 135 grain JHPs. Maybe a 9x25 for 1800 FPS with 100 grain JHPs.
          The wise man said just find your place
          In the eye of the storm
          Seek the roses along the way
          Just beware of the thorns...
          K. Meine

          Comment

          • #50
            Ridley75
            Junior Member
            • Mar 2018
            • 47

            Originally posted by crufflers
            Getting into 9x25 used to be a lot cheaper... $100 LW barrel and order some Underwood that used to be a lot cheaper. Now the barrel is $220+ and the ammo is hard to get and more expensive.

            If I got one, I guess I'd get the 6" for the G40... I have the G20, and gen3 G29 SF also. The barrel should fit the gen4 G20 and G40 slides. Probably something I won't do if I didn't do it back when it was easier.

            Comment

            • #51
              Rorge Retson
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 2712

              Originally posted by tomrkba
              Originally posted by hermosabeach
              MPN PPH357S
              UPC 8605003803959
              Manufacturer PRVI PARTIZAN AMMO
              Caliber 357 SIG AMMO
              Bullet Type Full Metal Jacket Flat Point
              Muzzle Velocity 1541 fps
              Muzzle Energy 660 ft. lbs
              Primer Boxer
              Casing Brass Casing
              Ammo Rating Target Shooting & Personal Defense 357 SIG Ammo
              Did you go to the TargetSportsUSA link?

              Real-world numbers are not in the ball park of 1540 fps. More like 1400, which is 544 ft. lbs.

              Comment

              • #52
                crufflers
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2011
                • 12723

                Originally posted by Rorge Retson
                Did you go to the TargetSportsUSA link?

                Real-world numbers are not in the ball park of 1540 fps. More like 1400, which is 544 ft. lbs.
                I guess it makes perfect sense that Underwood spanks it... or at least beats it by 75 fps

                Comment

                • #53
                  sigstroker
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 19897

                  Originally posted by AFTII
                  OP, take a look at the last review on the page you posted:

                  "Ammo was supposed to have a muzzle velocity of 1541 fps according to specs, but my chrono showed a mean velocity of 1401 fps, not materially different from any of the Federal, Speer, etc. in the same caliber. On top of this is the fact that I have contacted Target Sports USA three times in the last month about this issue, and they have not bothered to get back to me. Disappointed all around with both the ammo, and the service."

                  1401 fps corresponds to 545 Ft lbs. Not a slouch, but not even close to advertised velocity.
                  Whoa, I was just about to post that when I had a .357 SIG and I chronoed it at 1400 fps.

                  Out of a typical 4 or 6 inch revolver, .357 Magnum doesn't do much better.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    crufflers
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 12723

                    Originally posted by sigstroker
                    Whoa, I was just about to post that when I had a .357 SIG and I chronoed it at 1400 fps.
                    Great info, thanks!

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      crufflers
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 12723

                      Good video

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        dozer wright
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 2764

                        10 mm is really hard to beat in a Pistol round the versatility is where it's at. Glock 29 great compact gun Glock 20 full size , need a long slide theres the Glock 40 or a long slide conversion. 135 to 220 grains .40 S@w or 10mm hot stuff. 10 rds to 33 rd mags . And if penetration is what is wanted how about Underwood /Leigh Extreme Penetrators. I saw a video on YouTube. Guy shot 2 inch bullet proof glass and.the rd came out the other side Looking like you could put it back in the case and shoot it again.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Beendare
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 598

                          Worth noting that these hopped up rounds in a semi auto pistol can cause function issues.

                          Lots of guys having problems with that. Bump up your recoil spring then your mag can't feed the round fast enough.

                          Yeah, you can tweak these to work for a specific round....but it can get to be a chore if you want 100% reliability.

                          ― Edwin Louis Cole
                          ------------------------
                          "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", Mike Tyson

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            johnk518
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2018
                            • 978

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              dozer wright
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 2764

                              Originally posted by Beendare
                              Worth noting that these hopped up rounds in a semi auto pistol can cause function issues.

                              Lots of guys having problems with that. Bump up your recoil spring then your mag can't feed the round fast enough.

                              Yeah, you can tweak these to work for a specific round....but it can get to be a chore if you want 100% reliability.
                              I find a 21 lb flat spring in the Glock 20 and 22 lb spring in the Glock 29 is perfect.
                              Either one of my 10mms will run the weakest Wolf steel 40 S@w to the Nasty Underwood rds.
                              Never a Malfuction or failure to feed. I did have problems with some mags . What I found if theres a "tang" on the inside of the mag about half way down left over from the manufacturing process. And it interfered with the spring/follower. . Took some time to figure out. But once those "tangs" where filed no issues at all.
                              Last edited by dozer wright; 07-28-2019, 11:43 AM.

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Garandimal
                                Senior Member
                                • Sep 2011
                                • 2145

                                Hornady makes a Custom 147 gr. .357 Sig load with a proprietary cannelured XTP bullet that is similar to the 158 gr. FP .357 in construction.


                                ~ 1300 fps (550 lb-ft) out of my 5.3" LWD Bbl.




                                GR
                                Last edited by Garandimal; 07-28-2019, 1:36 PM.


                                (I think, therefore I am armed.)


                                -- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1