Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Polymer 38 ps revolvers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gooseman
    Member
    • Oct 2017
    • 216

    Polymer 38 ps revolvers

    I'm looking to get a 38sp revolver for concealed carry. My LGS tells me the polymer guns (Ruger LCR, for example) are so light that the recoil hurts like hell. They're suggesting I go with a stainless steel s&w (which is about 50% heavier). Any thoughts on this? I've never fired any of those 14-15 ounce Ruger 38 special revolvers myself.

    Merry Xmas!!!
  • #2
    gunsandrockets
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 1537

    Hurt? What nonsense.

    The beauty of a revolver is the action is independent of the strength of the ammo.

    If your revolver recoils too heavily, it is easy to buy ammunition with a lighter bullet, lighter powder charge, or both, to reduce the recoil to match your comfort level.

    I recommend the Ruger LCR. It's amazing. The .38 caliber version is the lightest and cheapest version. Used .38 LCR can be found for $400 at some gun stores. But I like the 9mm LCR best of all.
    Guns don't kill people, Democrats kill people

    Comment

    • #3
      plumbum
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2010
      • 5394

      I have an aluminum Charter .38 and yes, recoil can be “brisk” with warm loads, but it’s a carry gun not a range toy - either way a box of the real stuff is sufficient for a range session.
      Dad has both the LCR .38 and the .357 versions, and they share a great trigger and are still light enough - recoil is still noticeable, but I have no interest in trying full house .357 loads in a 17 oz gun.

      The S&W 637, 642 and 638 are all great guns, but when you’re talking about an once or two, it’s not an issue either way. If you are recoil why, add a larger rubber grip and use the cheap 130gr practice ammo (700-800 fps) and you’ll gain some good practice.
      Originally posted by ysr_racer
      Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

      Comment

      • #4
        FLZ_Boy
        Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 332

        I prefer using the LCR 357 with 38 spl, the 17.5 oz weight does help take some of the sting from the recoil.

        Comment

        • #5
          M76
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2014
          • 5953

          Originally posted by FLZ_Boy
          I prefer using the LCR 357 with 38 spl, the 17.5 oz weight does help take some of the sting from the recoil.
          Bingo.

          "hurts like hell?"
          sigpic
          Originally posted by dunndeal
          Stop digging.
          Originally posted by BrassCase
          I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
          iTrader

          https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858

          Comment

          • #6
            559BearDown
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2014
            • 1555

            My LCRx .38 is much more pleasant to shoot than a S&W 442/642. The Hogue Tamer grip makes the difference imo.

            Comment

            • #7
              DrewN
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2012
              • 1887

              I have the bigger Pachys on my LCR. Makes .357 not bad at all.

              Comment

              • #8
                Pofoo
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 1689

                If it is truly for concealed carry, a light weight gun is fine, maybe desirable.
                But, for fun shooting, a heavier gun is preferred.
                Larger grips help manage recoil also.

                Comment

                • #9
                  morrcarr67
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 15053

                  Do what I'm doing. Look at getting some short barreled ammo.

                  Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
                  Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

                  Originally posted by Erion929

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Sputnik
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 2239

                    I have a Smith 442 and its pretty light. I adjust the powder load and bullet type for the intended use: LRN loaded light for practice, XTP warmed up a bit for what-if use. It pays to load your own sometimes if you like customizing loads.
                    Last edited by Sputnik; 12-24-2018, 10:00 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Cokebottle
                      Señor Member
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 32373

                      The S&W Scandium airweight 357 is actually 2oz lighter than the LCR 38.
                      THAT hurts with 357. 38 is not painful, but not enjoyable. 357? I seriously think I broke something. My hand was swollen for over a week and sore for a couple of weeks.
                      - Rich

                      Originally posted by dantodd
                      A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MyOdessa
                        Ban Islam
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 2559

                        Originally posted by Gooseman
                        I'm looking to get a 38sp revolver for concealed carry. My LGS tells me the polymer guns (Ruger LCR, for example) are so light that the recoil hurts like hell. They're suggesting I go with a stainless steel s&w (which is about 50% heavier). Any thoughts on this? I've never fired any of those 14-15 ounce Ruger 38 special revolvers myself.

                        Merry Xmas!!!
                        Your LGS is an idiot. 38 Special LCR has alloy frame and 357 Mag/9mm LCR has Stainless Steel frame. all have one of the best DAO triggers and very manageable recoil. I have 2 9mm LCR and they are great CCW guns

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CGT80
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 2981

                          The smith m&p 340 has a scandium frame and stainless steel cylinder and weighs 14 ounces. The 340 pd has a scandium cylinder but the finish on the cylinder supposedly wears easily and the scandium can damage easily from cleaning brushes, but it weighs 12 ounces. They are both 357 magnum dao without exposed hammers. I went with the m and p 340 and it is very manageable with 38+p loads, but I will not fire full house 357 mags in it. Even a hot load with fast powder and 158 bullets is painful. Lighter bullets are better with the 357 sights when running 38+p ammo. Crimson trace laser grips make it more comfortable and allow spot on aiming for the ammo you choose. There are downsides to a little revolver but they are very easy to carry and keep concealed.
                          He who dies with the most tools/toys wins

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SnWnMe
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 6897

                            I was shooting some 158gr hard cast +Ps out of my 442 at Raahauges last Friday and yeah it gets my attention. It doesn't "hurt like hell" although my hard plastic Hip grips make it sting a bit.

                            But you will mostly practice with standard pressure ammo anyway and only run your carry ammo once in a while.
                            Frank Da Tank

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              DanGunner
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2017
                              • 1223

                              I have LCR and 442, both .38s, and both with Pachys. Six of one and a half-dozen of other. I've become a DA fan as result of shooting both.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1