Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Marksmanship question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    tanks
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 4038

    Originally posted by heyjerr
    Maybe when you're going slowly you don't bother to bring the sights back into alignment before resetting the trigger? May sound stupid but it's actually rather calming.
    Ahem, you want to reset the trigger and take the slack out during recoil then bring the sights back into alignment if necessary.

    In reality if one has a good grip and cams the wrists then the sights will come back to almost full alignment all by themselves requiring very little adjustment if any.
    "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
    "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

    Comment

    • #32
      the Scholar
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 601

      Originally posted by HopetonBrown
      Umm, okay.
      Well, you did kind of leave out a bit of my quote which I thought I explained myself a bit better. I would say that of the classes/club shoots that I do, I would say it's 90% tactical stuff and maybe 10% marksmanship. It sometimes gets addressed but is not concentrated on.

      Comment

      • #33
        orangeusa
        • Jul 2009
        • 9055

        The most accurate shooting I have done is when I had practiced enough that muscle memory was in my favor, my flinch was gone and I had this positive attitude that "I am gonna make this shot count, and not worry about speed - fast or slow." Serioustalk.

        And then there were the other days where I sucked.

        .

        Comment

        • #34
          XDJYo
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2012
          • 7094

          Originally posted by orangeusa



          And then there were the other days where I sucked.



          .

          Dude, you described me every time I hit the range!!
          Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
          Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
          Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
          M&P 15 (Mine)

          Comment

          • #35
            the Scholar
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2010
            • 601

            Originally posted by HopetonBrown
            That's too bad.
            I don't think it's bad. You don't get a chance to practice more complex movements when at a static range too often so it's nice to learn something other than punching holes into a paper at various distances.

            Comment

            • #36
              himurax13
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2009
              • 3895

              Originally posted by HopetonBrown
              Enroll in a shooting class with an instructor who has demonstrated a high level of skill. Competition shooters are the easiest to vet, as everyone who competes in IDPA/USPSA has a classification. Easiest way to check credentials.

              Shoot 2" circles at 7 yards, and 5.5" circles at 25 yards. Don't shoot B-27/human silhouette-type targets. Most people shoot targets that are too big and too close.

              Stop looking at the target after each shot. No need to be hyper extended with your head buried between your arms. Nose over toes is enough.

              Seek out that instructor, otherwise you're doomed to keep wondering why your bullets don't go where you want them to.
              I prefer using 8" paper plates between 7 and 25 yards.
              Originally posted by Bumslie
              HK - the best 600 dollar gun, 900 dollars can buy.
              Originally posted by Sleighter
              Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

              Lifetime NRA member.

              Comment

              • #37
                the Scholar
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2010
                • 601

                Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                If you can't hit what you're shooting at it in the time necessary, it doesn't really matter if you know team tactics and practice them with someone you'll never be in a gunfight with.

                Teaching people to shoot quickly and accurately is hard, shooting quickly and accurately is harder. Marksmanship fundamentals isn't sexy, it can be aggravating. So I understand why they wouldn't want to spend a lot of time on it.

                But it's like spending all the time in the gym on bicep curls. Marksmanship is Leg Day.
                I see your point but I should mention that I am not that terrible of a shot. I'm just not a bull's eye shooter. I can put down a 4" group at 7-10 yards with no real problems, it's just that my groups start really opening up the further out I am.

                I am definitely going to try and seek out someone who can dissect what I am doing right and wrong though.

                Comment

                • #38
                  9mmepiphany
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 8075

                  Originally posted by himurax13
                  I prefer using 8" paper plates between 7 and 25 yards.
                  I've been working on my 50 yard Bill Drills, but I always have one shot that drops out
                  ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    divingin
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2015
                    • 2522

                    The weak hand stages would kill me. Not that I could clean the rest, but my weak hand shooting really sucks (never do it.)

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      himurax13
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 3895

                      I just forced myself to use my support hand during bowling pin matches. I am slower but just a smidge more accurate than with my shooting hand.

                      Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by Bumslie
                      HK - the best 600 dollar gun, 900 dollars can buy.
                      Originally posted by Sleighter
                      Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

                      Lifetime NRA member.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        the Scholar
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 601

                        Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                        Here's a good 50 round workout for the range. If you can't draw your pistol, just start with the gun on the bench. If you don't have a mag pouch, just stick it in your pocket.

                        https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture
                        I like this and I am going to start forcing myself to do these drills going forward. I have been moving away from the silhouette targets and more of the smaller circles but I need to order some of these dot torture targets.

                        Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          the Scholar
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2010
                          • 601

                          Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                          The image of the target on that website can be clicked for a pdf file you can print up.
                          Yeah, I was thinking about that too but I am not sure the people at the office would get a warm feeling if I starting printing them off here, haha.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            IVC
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 17640

                            Originally posted by the Scholar
                            I like this and I am going to start forcing myself to do these drills going forward. I have been moving away from the silhouette targets and more of the smaller circles but I need to order some of these dot torture targets.
                            Get a timer first.

                            Adding the time component will give you a much better feedback on what you need to work on. Being "accurate" and being "accurate at speed" are infinitely different concepts.
                            sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              kmas
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2014
                              • 1315

                              Yes, thinking.

                              Focus on the front sight , clear your mind grasshopper.
                              Gently press the trigger as your Ying balances your Yang
                              and then
                              bullet meets target

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                the Scholar
                                Senior Member
                                • Jun 2010
                                • 601

                                I took a few weeks break from shooting after I somehow strained my left hand/wrist during my last class but I did make it out last night and I think a few things started to click a bit more. Firstly, my groups are starting to get much tighter after forcing myself to focus on the front sight and slowing down quite a bit. This was very obvious as I started pushing the target our further so I can see how my grouping really is. Secondly, I realized that I have been over pressing the trigger and slamming it back during the break. It always thought I had a smooth trigger press in the past but I really slowed it down last night and found myself hitting dead center of the target without the slight left biased I usually have. My group was quite tight as well.

                                Anyways, thanks for the suggestions and I will continue working on it. I have another class this weekend in Richmond and I am very much looking forward to it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1