Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Revolver Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    MrOrange
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2006
    • 2262

    You didn't mention what the intended use for this revolver would be, or how frequent the intended use.

    Competition? Home defense? Self defense to include a possible carry permit?
    Once or twice a year just to do something with you that you like to do?

    While I usually give the standard "Medium frame .38/.357" advice, there is considerable leeway in best fit for the intended use. For example, I've owned S&W revolvers of one type or tother since the '70's, but if someone is serious about using .357 loads, then I'd recommend a GP100.

    If the gun is only going to be used for basic familiarization & infrequent practice for an acceptable level of competency, then I'd recommend either a J-Frame or a K-Frame, which ever is most comfortable for her to handle.

    As to all the panicky talk about how weak women are and how they can't handle a J-Frame, it's not a real deal-breaker with .38 loads. When my 80+ year old, 100 lb arthritic mother asked me to get her something after my dad passed (he had a 1911 that she didn't like), I got her a Magna-Triggered 640.

    I had her handle a few handguns, both revolvers and autos, and a .38 snubbie (Taurus 85), was the only one she felt comfortable with. My 625 was way too big and heavy for her, so a GP100 was out. A big heavy gun will recoil less, but it takes more effort to bring it to bear in a fight. A snub-nosed revolver is the single hardest gun to try and take out of somebody's hands, and with a concealed hammer, it's a lot easier to get a round off when there are two pairs of hands on the gun as well.

    I'm also a big fan of lasers. My mom had hunted a few times in her youth with a 12 ga. and a .22 rifle, but she had never fired a handgun before. I started her off in the garage with a BB gun con RDS (in a rural area), then took her to an indoor range with the lasered 640. Her first cylinder went into ~3" at 7 yds, and my ego was a bit deflated cuz I didn't get to show off my masterful teaching methods.


    Side note: After we were done shooting, she was concerned about how short a distance 7 yds was, and how she could barely see the bull's eye at 25. When we got to her house, I measured the distance from her bedroom door to the farthest point she could see in the house: almost exactly 21'. Big confidence boost.
    I meant, it is my opinion that...






    I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
    I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
    You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

    Comment

    • #32
      SoCal1911
      Member
      • Jul 2007
      • 298

      My wife likes to shoot 38 spl the most. She has S&W Model 15, and when I brought home a Colt Python 4 inch barrel and she shot it, and then she has claimed it as hers. She shoots both, and very well indeed, and is a better shot with these then myself. She shoots the Python with 3/4 inch groups with my 38 spl hand loads and loves how good the trigger is compared to the S&W 15.
      She will shoot my 45 1911s, but does not enjoy them nearly as much.
      Let her rent a few different models and get her what she likes. Happy wife equals happy life.

      Comment

      • #33
        bmk20398
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2017
        • 1047

        9mm Revolver needs moon clips.
        I have 929 it is very accurate and great trigger, but I have to load ammo and unload brass everytime
        Last edited by bmk20398; 04-09-2017, 1:58 PM. Reason: edit

        Comment

        • #34
          b0lingball
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2004
          • 1064

          Originally posted by bmk20398
          9mm Revolver needs moon clips.
          I have 929 it is very accurate and great trigger, but I have to load ammo and unload brass everytime
          45acp also needs moon clips

          Comment

          • #35
            SloChicken
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 4533

            I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the 3" or 4" SP101 in .357 and running .38special would be a great choice.
            it has a very small grip, and good weight out front but not too much. Enough to slow muzzle whip and not so heavy she can't hold steady.

            Give 'em a look!
            sigpic

            Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
            To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.

            Comment

            • #36
              MrOrange
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2006
              • 2262

              I think the OP has wandered off to his LGS for advice...



              Originally posted by SloChicken
              I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the 3" or 4" SP101 in .357 and running .38special would be a great choice.
              it has a very small grip, and good weight out front but not too much. Enough to slow muzzle whip and not so heavy she can't hold steady.

              Give 'em a look!
              Yep, once or twice! Also, the weight out front makes 'em good fer pistol-whippin' scofflaws.
              I meant, it is my opinion that...






              I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
              I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
              You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

              Comment

              • #37
                simba
                Member
                • Jan 2015
                • 381

                Originally posted by bmk20398
                9mm Revolver needs moon clips.
                I have 929 it is very accurate and great trigger, but I have to load ammo and unload brass everytime
                Kind of like driving a car, need to fill up to drive..

                Comment

                • #38
                  MyOdessa
                  Ban Islam
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 2562

                  Originally posted by hj_S14
                  Guys,
                  I'm thinking of getting a revolver for my wife. She seems to like the revolver better than the FNX she has and the G19 g4.
                  Im not much of a revolver guy. The only revolver I have is 629 comp.
                  I did the search but couldn't pick one.
                  Any recommendations ? And possibly in 9mm??? Thank you
                  9mm LCR is a great gun. Moon clips are easy to use and make loading and unloading a breeze.
                  I have a couple, my wife and my secretary tried shooting it and each bought one.
                  Recoil is very manageable with factory grips or you can easily swap for aftermarket Hogue grips, and 9mm has great defense loads, like Federal HST in 124 or 147 grains. 9mm does better in short barrels then .357 Mag or .38 Special.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Wordupmybrotha
                    From anotha motha
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Oct 2013
                    • 6965

                    I've never shot a revolver in 9mm, so can't comment much on that other than know that moon clips are need to load the rounds into the cylinder. I suppose it's like loading a magazine. People use tools to load and unload them.

                    The benefit of shooting .38spl and .357 magnum is that rounds can be dropped in the cylinder without tools. I think it's fun loading them one at a time.

                    I prefer K frames over L frames, because grips are narrower and less front heavy. I just shoot .38spl. Don't like .357.

                    S&W 14 and 66 are great shooters.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Wordupmybrotha
                      From anotha motha
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2013
                      • 6965

                      Originally posted by SoCal1911
                      My wife likes to shoot 38 spl the most. She has S&W Model 15, and when I brought home a Colt Python 4 inch barrel and she shot it, and then she has claimed it as hers. She shoots both, and very well indeed, and is a better shot with these then myself. She shoots the Python with 3/4 inch groups with my 38 spl hand loads and loves how good the trigger is compared to the S&W 15.
                      She will shoot my 45 1911s, but does not enjoy them nearly as much.
                      Let her rent a few different models and get her what she likes. Happy wife equals happy life.
                      Dayam, I just realized you resurrected a 2 month old OP. Why did I waste my time answering a question from OP, who's long gone.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        tatso7
                        Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 433

                        I'd get her a ruger lcrx .38 in 3 inch barrel. My wife really enjoy shooting it.
                        Dont just make a choice, be the person who makes the better choice.

                        SA XD9, Kimber TAC II 45, Bersa Minifirestorm 9, 1858 Remington Pietta, 1851 Navy Pietta, M1 Garand, Stoeger coachgun

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1