Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Primer Strikes - help figuring out a problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    SkyHawk
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2012
    • 23531

    Clean and dry the striker channel, spacer sleeve, and the striker on the glock. Remove oil from the spring cups, etc.

    And Magtech is not a bad ammo - but not the greatest when troubleshooting, and no need to say anything about range reloads.

    Clean and dry the striker channel. If this is a pre owned gun, make sure the striker spring is the factory spring not a lightweight competition spring.
    Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-23-2017, 6:00 PM.
    Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

    Comment

    • #17
      stevemac
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2016
      • 504

      Were the 3 duds from the same magazine?

      Comment

      • #18
        dummykid
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2016
        • 1296

        is everything stock? or you have reduced fire pin spring installed? make sure you didn't lube the fire pin and spring when you are cleaning the gun.

        Comment

        • #19
          supermario
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 4569

          I had a ton of issues once with my Glock 26, ended up being a bad batch of Fiocchi ammo.
          I wouldnt have guessed it. When we were shooting we didnt realize that i was shooting the Glock from a specific box of ammo. The other guns were using another box so it seemed it was the Glock but it wasnt.
          Id says, buy a few boxes of different ammo and go try that same gun and no other guns.

          Comment

          • #20
            tbc
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2011
            • 5955

            It probably did not go into full battery resulted in off-centered and light strikes.

            Comment

            • #21
              Ewcmr2
              Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 251

              Is it normal for Glocks to be able to release striker out of battery?
              To get the extremely offset primer strikes it would appear the OP's G26 does...
              My PPQ and LC9 barrel-breech face have to be lined up for striker/hammer to drop.

              Comment

              • #22
                boopiejones
                Senior Member
                • May 2014
                • 2044

                I know you said multiple times that the misfires were definitely from the glock, but the glock doesn't normally make a perfectly round indentation on the primer as the tip of the pin itself is not round. a 1911, however, does have a perfectly round firing pin...
                my Benitez goes to 11

                Comment

                • #23
                  rm1911
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 4073

                  Originally posted by orangeusa
                  Were you shooting it sideways?



                  .


                  NRA Life Member since 1990

                  They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    santacruzgunner
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2016
                    • 549

                    Those in bottom row are not from glock. Glocks leave sqare imprint.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      bwhited
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 1947

                      I say it is the Glock's fault.

                      First thing to do is to chamber check the brass. It may be that they were fired just out of battery because of oversized brass.

                      The reason people thought the rounds were from different firearms is that the unfired rounds look different then fired rounds. The full mark from the firing pin is caused by the round going off so that it is forced back into the breach face, causing the marking. When the round does not go off only part of the firing pin mark is shown.


                      Originally posted by caliberetta
                      Today I took out 2 new brand guns to break in. A Glock26 Gen4 and a RIA 1911 Rock Ultra CS 9mm.

                      I have 2 boxes of new factory ammo (100rds, MagTech) and I bought 100rds of reloads at the Range. Total 200rds.

                      No problems at all with the RIA. I had a couple of problems with the Glock:

                      First problem - FTFeed due to pregnant casing from a Reload. Case did not fit into the Chamber. Problem is obviously ammo.

                      Second problem - I am not sure if it's the ammo. I got 3 Light/Off-Center Primer Strikes, all happened with the reloads.

                      See pic:



                      All casings in the pic are from the Glock. As you can tell, the 3 casings below failed to ignite. The ones above shot as normal.

                      The RIA shot all rounds without issue (40 New, 60 reloads)

                      Glock shot all NEW rounds without issue (60rds).

                      Of the 40rds RELOADS, the Glock had 3 Off-Center/Light Strikes.

                      Based upon this info, could the issue be with my Glock or just the ammo?

                      With all due respect, I don't need the Lecture or commentary on "why you shouldn't use reloads" etc ... I would greatly appreciate focus on problem solving trying to figure out, based on this info, if the gun is the problem, if there is something I should check etc.

                      I am wondering why I did not have problems with the Reloads on the RIA, even if I shot more rounds with it, and then 3 times this issue with the Glock.

                      As seen in the pic above, the Glock appears to Initially come into contact and strike at off-center on all rounds, ignited or not.

                      Your insight is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
                      .

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        bazineta
                        Senior Member
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jun 2015
                        • 647

                        The thing that strikes me about the top vs. bottom cases is that the top ones, while they've clearly been shot and reloaded a number of times, still have relatively crisp headstamps, while the bottom cases have been peened to the point that the headstamp is much less crisp.

                        I mean, seriously, those bottom cases have been worked.

                        I'd be curious if the bottom ones have ejector wear rim issues causing an odd feed or seating situation, if the primer pockets are by now way out of spec, or if the OAL is now just too short.
                        Last edited by bazineta; 01-24-2017, 10:57 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Snoopy47
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 3899

                          Originally posted by 5.56Geo
                          Impossible, firing pins are like thumb prints none exactly the same! Your picture is showing clearly two different types of strikes. If you insist they are all Glocks casings and are unable to see the difference than you perhaps have greater issues.

                          Anyways good luck....!
                          I think I know what is happening with the Glock and reloads. I reload for my 9mm Glocks for Glock Challenge matches, and in order to get 100% reliability I have to triple check barrel clearance by removing the barrel and dropping every single round into the barrel and making sure it slips right out with NO RESISTANCE.

                          1) Because of the extra chamber clearance on the Glock barrel (which results in much greater reliability with factory new ammo) this causes the brass to BULGE when fired from a Glock.

                          2) The lip on the bottom of the 9mm brass is larger than the diameter of the brass itself. Ergo, it is essentially impossible to resize the entire length of 9mm brass when being run through a reloading press. The use of a Markov 9mm sizing die with the internals removed helps in this regard but in my experience I go from 60% barrel clearance errors to about 20% errors, it helps, but is far from perfect.

                          2a) Ideally, the LAST 9mm once fired brass you want to use to reload is brass fired from a Glock. Unfortunately it's too common of a pistol and caliber, so its impossible to avoid.

                          3) In regard to the strange primer strikes, combined with the knowledge that much of the reloaded brass probably came out of a Glock, I suspect that those strange primer strike bullets never fully chambered and the breach didn't lock enough for the striker to get a full strength hit.

                          3a) The potential reason for the misalignment strike is because the bullet is off set from where it otherwise would be had the barrel fully locked.

                          I absolutely hate reloading for 9mm Glock. Getting to 100% reliability with reloads in the Glock is not trivial.

                          Anyway, that's my opinion. I always chamber check every single 9mm reload before I do a match with a 9mm Glock with reloads.
                          Last edited by Snoopy47; 01-24-2017, 12:47 PM.
                          Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            nedro
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2014
                            • 4130

                            While I agree that brass shot out of a glock will be hard to make right. I will also say that I have shot thousands of reloaded production rounds through my glock 17 with no more problem than factory new.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Snoopy47
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 3899

                              Originally posted by nedro
                              While I agree that brass shot out of a glock will be hard to make right. I will also say that I have shot thousands of reloaded production rounds through my glock 17 with no more problem than factory new.
                              Do you buy those reloads, or do you reload them out of your Glock time and time again?

                              You probably wouldn't have a problem with reloads if they were never shot from a Glock to begin with
                              Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                nedro
                                Veteran Member
                                • Nov 2014
                                • 4130

                                Originally posted by Snoopy47
                                Do you buy those reloads, or do you reload them out of your Glock time and time again?

                                You probably wouldn't have a problem with reloads if they were never shot from a Glock to begin with
                                That was my point. I agree with you about reloading Glock fired brass.
                                I do not reload 9mm brass. In fact, I'm just now starting to build my reloading station and will start by reloading 6.8 SPC.
                                But I have read all about the Glock's unsupported chamber and the smilies they cause.
                                I would assume most CalGunners are buying their reloaded rounds.
                                Last edited by nedro; 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1