Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Which XD Trigger?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    BamBam-31
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Dec 2005
    • 5318

    I have an XD 45 Tactical w/ a Canyon Creek 2.5# trigger job. Very nicely done, btw, but pricey. That gun's a tack driver for sure. I carried it out last time I went hunting.

    BTW, just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have shooting? Plinking at the range? IDPA/USPSA competitions? Classes?

    Reason I ask is, while a trigger job w/ reduced pull and shorter reset will make a pistol easier to shoot and shoot rapidly, it's really the shooter w/ a bit of trigger time that will reap the benefits of said upgrades. As mentioned above, it may be better to simply shoot the gun first. Let the trigger wear in while you're practicing your fundamentals. It may just be more than acceptable as is.

    Many moons ago, my first handgun was a G19 w/ a so-so Glock trigger pull. Didn't know it was a so-so pull back then, however. It just was what it was, and I cut my teeth on that. Now, after having fired many thousands of rounds through many various handguns, I've become something of a trigger and sights snob, but it really wouldn't have helped me much back then to have been one. Sight alignment, trigger pull, breathing, etc.--time and resources are better spent on getting those down first, IMHO. Put another way, if you've got a flinch, a match trigger ain't gonna make it go away.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #32
      lioneaglegriffin
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 3897

      Originally posted by BamBam-31
      I have an XD 45 Tactical w/ a Canyon Creek 2.5# trigger job. Very nicely done, btw, but pricey. That gun's a tack driver for sure. I carried it out last time I went hunting.

      BTW, just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have shooting? Plinking at the range? IDPA/USPSA competitions? Classes?

      Reason I ask is, while a trigger job w/ reduced pull and shorter reset will make a pistol easier to shoot and shoot rapidly, it's really the shooter w/ a bit of trigger time that will reap the benefits of said upgrades. As mentioned above, it may be better to simply shoot the gun first. Let the trigger wear in while you're practicing your fundamentals. It may just be more than acceptable as is.

      Many moons ago, my first handgun was a G19 w/ a so-so Glock trigger pull. Didn't know it was a so-so pull back then, however. It just was what it was, and I cut my teeth on that. Now, after having fired many thousands of rounds through many various handguns, I've become something of a trigger and sights snob, but it really wouldn't have helped me much back then to have been one. Sight alignment, trigger pull, breathing, etc.--time and resources are better spent on getting those down first, IMHO. Put another way, if you've got a flinch, a match trigger ain't gonna make it go away.
      i been shooting since i was 12 in my dads hometown Natchez, MS. Grandpa had a whole armory in his shed dozens of riles (bolt & semi) shotguns (over-under, side by side, and pump action.) and handguns (mostly revolvers but some 1911's.) I have been hunting (small and medium game.) and my uncles and grandfather taught me to shoot & hunt. so im not a complete and total newb i just never had to clean them all. so im spoiled , the only way im new to guns is maintainance (cleaning, lubricating & breakdown) .

      now flash forward to me in LA i want guns of my own at least one in each type 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, 1 pistol. i have a M1A already, a plan on getting a remington 870, and this XD and build from there if finances permit.
      "Si vis pacem, para bellum" ("If you want peace, prepare for war") Flavius V. Renatus
      "There are five boxes to use in the defense of Liberty: The Soap Box, the Mail Box, the Ballot Box, the Jury Box, and the Ammunition Box. Please use them in that order."

      Comment

      • #33
        Corleone
        Junior Member
        • Sep 2006
        • 28

        3Gun,

        I agree with you completely. Tricking out your gun for a more aesthetically pleasing shooting experience (and for the fun of customizing) is one thing; preparing for the actual SD use (and long-lasting consequences) is quite another thing. I had Don's Guide Rod and a 20# Wolf spring in my XD40 for a while, but went back to stock just for this reason. I might consider using the DGR with a stock weight spring (18#), just because the DGR is obviously a beefy part (as opposed to the 2-part stock guide rod), but I'm loath to try different recoil spring weights than stock...more because of being concerned that it might not cycle the way it was designed to, rather than legal problems.

        Trigger weight modifications seems like playing into the hands of the BG's lawyer. Keep your target/fun guns separate from your HD guns.

        Or that's what I think, anyway.

        Comment

        • #34
          Gryff
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2006
          • 12693

          Originally posted by Corleone
          Trigger weight modifications seems like playing into the hands of the BG's lawyer.
          That argument has been made by better men than me, but that is not my primary concern. What worries me the most is that at 3am, when I am searching the house because I heard a window/door break, I fear coming around the corner and running into one of my children who is up to go to the bathroom.

          I shoot IDPA a LOT, and I have never had an accidental discharge. But I never have had my life on the line in a situation like this, and I want a trigger that is a little more forgiving than my competition gun's in case a non-dirtbag scares the bejesus out of me in the middle of the night. Sure, I had hair before I had kids, but that doesn't mean that I want to see a .45 inch hole on one of their chests.

          Yes, I know that finger out of the trigger guard is the ultimate safety, and I believe that I have the muscle memory to do this when it counts. But my kids are worth the little extra insurance of keeping the factory take-up and trigger weight.
          Last edited by Gryff; 01-23-2009, 2:35 AM.
          My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

          Comment

          • #35
            lioneaglegriffin
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 3897

            Originally posted by Gryff
            That argument has been made by better men than me, but that is not my primary concern. What worries me the most is that at 3am, when I am searching the house because I heard a window/door break, I fear coming around the corner and running into one of my children who is up to go to the bathroom.

            I shoot IDPA a LOT, and I have never had an accidental discharge. But I never have had my life on the line in a situation like this, and I want a trigger that is a little more forgiving than my competition gun's in case a non-dirtbag scares the bejesus out of me in the middle of the night. Sure, I had hair before I had kids, but that doesn't mean that I want to see a .45 inch hole on one of their chests.

            Yes, I know that finger out of the trigger guard is the ultimate safety, and I believe that I have the muscle memory to do this when it counts. But my kids are worth the little extra insurance of keeping the factory take-up and trigger weight.
            the only person i have to shoot is intruder or myslef, i live alone.
            "Si vis pacem, para bellum" ("If you want peace, prepare for war") Flavius V. Renatus
            "There are five boxes to use in the defense of Liberty: The Soap Box, the Mail Box, the Ballot Box, the Jury Box, and the Ammunition Box. Please use them in that order."

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1