Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Identifying 1911 Model (Range Officer vs Other)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bknaus
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2015
    • 18

    Identifying 1911 Model (Range Officer vs Other)

    I've decided I want to pick up a SA 1911 Range Officer so lately I've been cruising the for sale ads here on CalGuns. My questions is, how do I determine that it truly is a Range Officer and not one of the other 1911s SA makes?
    All the ones I've seen in person have "Range Officer" on the grips like the photo below, but many in the for sale section do not have the stamped grips but are listed as ROs. Is there another stamping in the steel somewhere or a specific range of Serial Numbers? I'd hate to drive a few hours to pick up a gun and realize it's actually a "lesser" SA model... Grips are too easy to switch out so I'm hoping there's a more definite way to tell. Thanks and sorry if it's an obvious answer!

    What I'm used to seeing on an RO:


    Some of the ones being sold as ROs on the CalGuns classifieds:


  • #2
    morrcarr67
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jul 2010
    • 15053

    ??? Check the box and make sure it says RO on it and the serial numbers on the box and pistol match ???

    Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

    Originally posted by Erion929

    Comment

    • #3
      Rhyyke
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 2128

      Technically I guess it could be a really well modded Mil-Spec. But that's a lot of work and I don't know that it would be worth it unless you're paying like $1.5k for the RO.

      Get the serial from the seller and run it by Springfield? They might be able to give you an answer.

      Edit: or yeah duh, ask the seller for a picture of the label on the box.
      Last edited by Rhyyke; 08-03-2016, 11:57 AM.

      Comment

      • #4
        gc44
        Banned
        • Oct 2015
        • 279

        Why dont you call up SA and ask? Then let us know.....post 3 makes sense.

        Comment

        • #5
          chayden
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 508

          The simplest and easiest way is to check the OEM case that the pistol came in. It should have the model number and name on the box, along with the matching S/N to the pistol.
          I forget the exact model numbers and names, but they will say Loaded, Range Officer (RO), etc... on that sticker. (Springfield Armory at any rate)
          If there is no original pistol case or sticker to corroborate the specific model number, then the owner can call and ask SA to detail the pistol based upon its S/N. Not sure if they would send you a letter or e-mail to document.
          Range Officers have the NM serial prefix, but other than that there's not much to distinguish them from a Loaded besides the adjustable rear sight. I'm not sure if SA ever offered that on any parkerized Loaded models. So that could also be a distinguishing characteristic.

          Also, SA didn't begin putting the RO branded grips on that model until fairly recently. An older model would just have the standard Cocobolo grip panels.
          Last edited by chayden; 08-03-2016, 11:14 AM.

          Comment

          • #6
            Sentenza
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 566

            I would contact the sellers for the model number, really the best way.

            If just looking at pics, I would look for the combination of:
            - LPA rear (or the 5" model)
            - Single thumb safety
            - No FCS

            Comment

            • #7
              bknaus
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2015
              • 18

              Thanks everyone, I come from the classic car world where it's easy to throw a 442 badge and some basic mods on a Cutlass or a GT350 body kit and badge on a Mustang so I am used to living by VINs (or serial numbers in the case of guns) since there's sadly too much online trickery. Hopefully that hasn't hit the gun world too much!

              Between the identifying features, box, grips I'll feel pretty confident and I'll try to run the serial past SA before purchase.

              Also, I wrote SA customer service asking the same question and haven't gotten a response yet but I'll post back up here if they have any other good info.

              Comment

              • #8
                shakyshoot
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2014
                • 1142

                Not sure when mine was made, but I just bought a Range Officer .45, and it looks identical to the one in your 2nd and 3rd pics. No "range officer" on the grips on mine. The label on my case says "1911 .45 RO Model" and "P19128LP." The serial number prefix is NM, but not sure if that's true of all of them. Love the gun, by the way.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bknaus
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2015
                  • 18

                  Yep, I got a response from SA customer service (pretty quick) and they said the best way to make sure was just send them the serial and they can check it for you same day. It doesn't sound like there's an easy range for us to check ourselves. She said the first years of the Range Officers did not have the name on the grips and that was only added recently which is why these don't have it.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1