Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Groups deteriorating... Slump and blue!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    static2126
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2013
    • 5619

    Damnnit where is Hopetown Brown to back me up on training and pushing your boundaries lol

    Comment

    • #47
      rodralig
      CGN Contributor
      • Apr 2016
      • 4262

      Originally posted by static2126
      Damnnit where is Hopetown Brown to back me up on training and pushing your boundaries lol
      *LOL*

      Yup! It was actually to HopetownBrown's advice that I began having tighter groups...


      Hi ALL -

      I know that I previously mentioned that it should NOT be due to DIRTY gun, as I just had an Ultrasonic Cleaning & Lubing from Gun Effects at Hacienda Heights...

      Well, while I was taking a shower - it hit me why can't I just take a look...

      I field strip the Glock - and LO...!!! It was like bathed in OIL...!!! I could even see from the underside of the slide assembly through the hole above the Weep Hole and long the Firing Pin - ALL OILY...!!!

      The rails, too...!!! Dang...!!!

      I know Glocks are NOT meant to be bathed in oil, but, could this be a reason for erratic shots?

      If ever it could possibly be - how would I dry it up? I never attempted a detailed strip before, and the Armorer's Course is actually in my To Do lists...

      Thanks!


      Originally posted by artb
      My groups started getting erratic.
      Found my barrel had lead buildup.
      Cleaned the barrel, back to normal.
      Something to check.

      On side note, anyone aware of brass buildup along the lugs of the barrel & the inside of the slide? So much that it shows up along in the ejector port?



      Is this something I need to have checked by a gunsmith?
      Last edited by rodralig; 06-21-2016, 9:46 AM.

      WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

      Comment

      • #48
        tbc
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2011
        • 5955

        Originally posted by rodralig

        I know Glocks are NOT meant to be bathed in oil, but, could this be a reason for erratic shots?


        No. The last thing you want to do is blaming on the gun.





        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment

        • #49
          rodralig
          CGN Contributor
          • Apr 2016
          • 4262

          Groups deteriorating... Slump and blue!

          Originally posted by tbc
          No. The last thing you want to do is blaming on the gun.





          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


          Got it..!

          I wasnt on blaming the gun, particularly me just being a newbie shooter...

          Albeit, there have been a couple of posts proposing to check the internals of the gun...

          Hence, just thought to ask...

          Cheers!

          WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

          Comment

          • #50
            Mossy Man
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2011
            • 7641

            What I find helps me when I am starting to open up during a range session:

            Stop shooting, unload and dry fire down range. You'll see where you're screwing up. Dry fire a few more times. Load up and shoot.

            You will notice improvements.

            Comment

            • #51
              tbc
              Calguns Addict
              • Jun 2011
              • 5955

              Originally posted by rodralig

              Albeit, there have been a couple of posts proposing to check the internals of the gun...

              Hence, just thought to ask...

              Cheers!

              Gotcha

              Lots of folks are inclined to find other excuses other than themselves; I myself was one of them.

              BTW, I would love to share my experiences with you face to face (good and bad). We should meet.





              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #52
                static2126
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2013
                • 5619

                Agreed do not blame the gun. All modern day firearms assembled correctly are more accurate than the shooter.

                Also drenched in oil will not impact accuracy. Just makes shooting messy lol

                Comment

                • #53
                  Barang
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Aug 2013
                  • 13385

                  Did you get splattered all over your face and shirt?

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Steponmytoes
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • 652

                    just curious how you do your dry fire drills? if you are practicing everything deliberately (correct stance, bringing up to a target or a spot on the wall, etc etc) 10 min or so every couple of days should be plenty to notice an improvement in groups

                    this is pretty helpful

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      rodralig
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Apr 2016
                      • 4262

                      Originally posted by Steponmytoes
                      just curious how you do your dry fire drills? if you are practicing everything deliberately (correct stance, bringing up to a target or a spot on the wall, etc etc) 10 min or so every couple of days should be plenty to notice an improvement in groups

                      this is pretty helpful

                      https://tdiohio.com/dry-fire-trigger...dgun-shooting/
                      • Wall Drill - With the muzzle about an inch from a White wall. I use both my Glock 22 and PX4 with snap caps.
                      • Then, set a target to about 3-yards and 7-yards. Then try the bull's eye - primary focus is trigger control and focus on the front sight. With the Glock 22, I use the SiRT pistol; with the PX4, I load a LaserLyte cartridge


                      No Balance Drill for me - can't balance a case or a coin on my front FO.

                      Of course, emphasize is placed on stance, grip, tension/relaxation of muscles, and breathing.

                      BTW, these were my groups at -7-yards when I first started shooting - when I got my Glock 22. This was in May 7.



                      Cheers!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by rodralig; 06-21-2016, 4:10 PM.

                      WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        AFTII
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • 1617

                        Ok. The low shots above are from anticipation. You are anticipating the recoil and moving the gun down just before the trigger breaks. So, you need to work on concentrating on the sight picture and following through. However, it looks to me as if you've solved that problem in your later target.

                        Second, depending on the ammo you are shooting, you may still have a fouled barrel after an ultrasonic cleaning. If you are shooting reloads, especially reloads that feature a copper plated lead bullet from a manufacturer who's name starts with an X, I'd look very hard at the barrel, because your nice round holes in the target above have turned into oblong tears. If you are shooting the same ammo at both targets, something changed. That something is your barrel. I've had similar problems in the past with those bullets - I got a batch that wasn't hard enough and they stuck like bubble gum to the inside of my barrel. If you look down your barrel and it looks like a ratchet, this is your problem for sure.

                        You won't get that **** out of your barrel with regular solvents or an ultrasonic cleaning. You'll need to get some lead removal cloth (Birchwood Casey) or patches (Kleenbore makes some) and scrub the barrel until you can clearly delineate the lands from the grooves.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          rodralig
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Apr 2016
                          • 4262

                          Originally posted by Cokebottle
                          NRA Defensive Handgun is 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards. San Bernardino CCW qualification is 5 yards.
                          Most self-defense situations are 3 yards.
                          I was searching online for NRA courses, and found that the qualification for a Pistol Instructor is just a 9-inch target at 15-yards with a MAX group of 6-inches?





                          Originally posted by AFTII
                          If you are shooting the same ammo at both targets, something changed. That something is your barrel. I've had similar problems in the past with those bullets - I got a batch that wasn't hard enough and they stuck like bubble gum to the inside of my barrel. If you look down your barrel and it looks like a ratchet, this is your problem for sure.
                          Got it! Would look at it tonight...

                          Thanks! As well for the recommendation on the cleaning stuff I need to get...
                          Attached Files

                          WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Cokebottle
                            Seņor Member
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 32373

                            Originally posted by rodralig
                            I was searching online for NRA courses, and found that the qualification for a Pistol Instructor is just a 9-inch target at 15-yards with a MAX group of 6-inches?
                            Yep.

                            If you can't "do" you should not be teaching.

                            But the NRA Defensive Handgun course is a lot easier than that... though still a tough course.



                            Only 10 shots at 10 yards. Everything else is 3, 5, and 7, mostly 7.
                            - Rich

                            Originally posted by dantodd
                            A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              rodralig
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Apr 2016
                              • 4262

                              Originally posted by tbc
                              Gotcha

                              Lots of folks are inclined to find other excuses other than themselves; I myself was one of them.

                              BTW, I would love to share my experiences with you face to face (good and bad). We should meet.

                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              That would be good! I've also heard about CalGunners meets in ranges, etc.

                              However, remember - I'm not really that good. Hell, I'm not good at all - my life in firearms is just a mere baby at 2-months ol'



                              Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                              Yes, NRA credentials are worth slightly more than the paper they're printed on, which is why I don't recommend NRA classes or instructors whose only qualifications are NRA instructor certs. I took an NRA instructor class a few years ago for the hell of it; half the class couldn't shoot that group, and 3/4 of them had no business teaching anyone anything about how to shoot a gun.
                              What an eye-opener!

                              A 9-inch big target at 15-yards, and you just have to make a 6-inch group?

                              And based on Cokebottle's post - the amount of time given is so HUGE, ie., 12-seconds to make 5-shots at 10-yards! The D1 target has a 12-inch diameter for its widest scoring ring...

                              I know I shouldn't be saying this things because I'm just a beginner, but... ... ...

                              Now, am I beginning to understand the "animosity" I've seen/heard from other tactical instructors when asked whether they are NRA-certified.
                              Last edited by rodralig; 06-23-2016, 8:00 PM.

                              WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Cokebottle
                                Seņor Member
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 32373

                                Originally posted by rodralig
                                And based on Cokebottle's post - the amount of time given is so HUGE, ie., 12-seconds to make 5-shots at 10-yards! The D1 target has a 12-inch diameter for its widest scoring ring...
                                Those times are drawing from concealment.
                                Not staged, not from a low-ready.

                                First time down the line my class averaged 5-6 seconds to get ONE shot off.
                                Yes, we improved quickly, for most in the class it was their first time working under a shot timer.

                                Yes, 12 seconds is plenty of time for 5 shots at 10 yards.
                                You have to get 28 of the 34 shots on-target to pass.
                                - Rich

                                Originally posted by dantodd
                                A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1