Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thinking about getting a revolver...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    pklin1297
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2006
    • 3287

    I always did like the look of the 627 PC...

    What do you guys think about the 625 and the 325, 45 ACP revolvers? I know they're not the typical revolver cartridge, but I have quite a few 1911s...
    Last edited by pklin1297; 06-06-2016, 1:03 PM.
    NRA Member, CAPRC Member

    Comment

    • #17
      Rhyme_merchant
      Member
      • Dec 2014
      • 248

      I would look at the PC revolvers from smith since your budget can fit most of them in. Pick the flavor of your choosing. That, or get an older pre-lock as stated above. OR, get a an older performance center model.

      Comment

      • #18
        checkenbach
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 1472

        All great choices, but if you do go new, look the gun over VERY closely for issues. My 686 SSR had a slight barrel cant and spit lead. I had to send it back and it was repaired quickly, and nicely done. A pain, but not the end of the world. That said, I have been on the hunt for pre lock guns, pinned if possible. Also, what do you plan on doing with it??? One more item, my 686 did not take well to lead bullets, heavy barrel leading was the result, as they have a different rifling now. YMMV.
        Last edited by checkenbach; 06-06-2016, 3:14 PM.

        Comment

        • #19
          Wordupmybrotha
          From anotha motha
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2013
          • 6965

          Originally posted by checkenbach
          All great choices, but if you do go new, look the gun over VERY closely for issues. My 686 SSR had a slight barrel cant and spit lead. I had to send it back and it was repaired quickly, and nicely done. A pain, but not the end of the world. That said, I have been on the hunt for pre lock guns, pinned if possible. Also, what do you plan on doing with it??? One more item, my 686 did not take well to lead bullets, heavy barrel leading was the result, as they have a different rifling now. YMMV.
          How many rounds did you shoot before it caused barrel leading?

          Comment

          • #20
            AKexpat
            Member
            • May 2014
            • 375

            Too bad you are not into Ruger. The SP101 in .357, although it is "only" a 5-shot, would be my choice. Heavy but very solid and compact.

            You are free to ignore my post.

            Comment

            • #21
              rogervzv
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2011
              • 2087

              Originally posted by pklin1297
              I always did like the look of the 627 PC...

              What do you guys think about the 625 and the 325, 45 ACP revolvers? I know they're not the typical revolver cartridge, but I have quite a few 1911s...
              I have the 625JM and it is a cool revolver. The .45 ACP round works great with moon clips.
              Come and Take It!
              I'm the only hell my momma ever raised ...

              Comment

              • #22
                Citadelgrad87
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Mar 2007
                • 16978

                Originally posted by tony270
                It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                Originally posted by repubconserv
                Print it out and frame it for all I care
                Originally posted by el chivo
                I don't need to think at all..
                Originally posted by pjsig
                You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #23
                  trigger945
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 5795

                  Performance Center revolvers are nice. Some argue they are worth the premium, while some don't. If you go that route, $1,500 is a good budget wherein there are some models to choose from.

                  If you are okay with standard models or even Pro Series (in between regular and Performance Center), you will have plenty of leftover funds.

                  For Pro Series, you may look into the 686 SSR. I have one and it is a fine revolver.

                  For regular models, you may look into K-frames and L-frames both with and without locks. Examples of .357/.38 are Models 19, 66, 13 and 65 for K-frames and Models 686 and 586 for L-frames. For .38 Spl only, you may look into Models 10, 14, 15, 64, 67 and 68. Note that some models are only available in pre-lock configuration.

                  N-frames are also fine and newer models have an 8-shot cylinder. Their frames are larger. Models 27, 28 and 627 are something to look into for N-frames.

                  Good luck!
                  One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                  AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Kowan
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jan 2015
                    • 1474

                    I have a 686 SSR and 627 PC. Both are fine revolvers.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      trigger945
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 5795

                      Here is the 686 SSR - MSRP of $999 (my LGS - Guns Direct in Burbank - sells them from $899):

                      One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                      AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        pklin1297
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 3287

                        Thanks everyone, I think I opened Pandora's Box here...

                        I'll be fine with L-frames, but I think my wife would prefer K-frames. Then again, she tends to grab my 1911s at the range rather than my Glock 26 and Shield...
                        Last edited by pklin1297; 06-06-2016, 4:09 PM.
                        NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          orangeusa
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 9055

                          Who is this Dan Wesson?

                          S&W invented the double action and Colt was fast to follow up.

                          You will never lose money or satisfaction of owning S&W or Colt. I am partial to S&W (686/586,Model 10) since their action is easier to use for me and their overall quality is head to head with Colt (IMO). That said, I really have a soft spot for the old Model 10 I bought that had an early NYPD pedigree. And it was not expensive. They made millions of them and you can get one for under $300.

                          EDIT : I have some Rugers also. You will NEVER go wrong with them either. Rugers are tools that work perfectly, the other 2 are heirlooms.

                          .
                          Last edited by orangeusa; 06-06-2016, 4:14 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Sutcliffe
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2003
                            • 6792

                            A lot of things have been covered

                            Why not a .38? Unless you have a need for magnum power most people shoot .38's out of their magnums. There are a lot of used .38 Smitha and Wessons out there you can pick up on the used market.
                            Another thing that currently is intriguing to me is the Ruger SP-101 w 4" barrel and adjustable sights. It weights a lot less than conventional magnum revolvers and would make a great trail/kit gun.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Steponmytoes
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • 652

                              Originally posted by checkenbach
                              All great choices, but if you do go new, look the gun over VERY closely for issues. My 686 SSR had a slight barrel cant and spit lead. I had to send it back and it was repaired quickly, and nicely done. A pain, but not the end of the world. That said, I have been on the hunt for pre lock guns, pinned if possible. Also, what do you plan on doing with it??? One more item, my 686 did not take well to lead bullets, heavy barrel leading was the result, as they have a different rifling now. YMMV.

                              Also just to add, some TRR8's had light primer strike issues which are well documented on the S&W forums (and even on youtube). Might have been fixed with later generations but pretty unacceptable for a $1,200+ revolver. Performance Center horror stories are relatively common, the premium you pay is not necessarily justified by the actual product.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Eastwoodfan101
                                Senior Member
                                • Aug 2013
                                • 583

                                Smith and Wesson 500 Magnum
                                A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1