Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Idiot scratch 1911. Value

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    static2126
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2013
    • 5619

    Yup i favorite glock had been my out of state carry for over 15+ years. Cosmetically ugly but my favorite handgun (though the mpx pistol comes damn close)

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #62
      ZuluDeltaWhiskey
      Member
      • Aug 2015
      • 330

      Originally posted by static2126
      Yup i favorite glock had been my out of state carry for over 15+ years. Cosmetically ugly but my favorite handgun (though the mpx pistol comes damn close)

      Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      I'd love an MPX! Maybe one day. And I wish they had a 10mm version. That'd be sweet.
      History can repeat itself, and it will soon. And when it does, it won't be the North and South. It'll be the "US Government" and the TRUE American people fed up with the Governments insidious ways, fueled by determination to see this Country return to its former glory.

      Comment

      • #63
        CouchOperator
        Veteran Member
        • May 2016
        • 4353

        Out of 8 or so PM's from the last couple weeks, no one would offer me higher than $1,700 for a wilson with purely cosmetic holster wear. I ended up deleting the ad.
        Last edited by CouchOperator; 06-05-2016, 6:02 PM.

        Comment

        • #64
          static2126
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2013
          • 5619

          Originally posted by ZuluDeltaWhiskey
          I'd love an MPX! Maybe one day. And I wish they had a 10mm version. That'd be sweet.
          I love the MPX. Having shot almost every mp5 clone and even a real.mp5, I prefer the MPX (unless full auto mp5...lol)

          Comment

          • #65
            AKexpat
            Member
            • May 2014
            • 375

            Originally posted by nahpungnome
            I think idiot scratches are annoying as hell. I don't consider them normal wear marks. I got scratches on my 1911s such as under the slide stop, safeties, brass kisses, etc. Those wouldn't bother me if I were to buy used, but an idiot scratch...
            The pistol you are describing has been handled/disassembled by someone not knowledgeable about 1911 pistols, and you are worried about an idiot scratch?? Usually rectified by a touch of 0000 steel wool or brass wool, your preference. I have owned and worked on (in my own possession) over half a dozen 1911 pistols ranging from a steel Combat Commander .38 Super to an Para-Ord 14 shot .45 homebuilt with a no-name slide.

            Idiot scratches are fairly rectified by knowledgeable folks with the right mind and the right tools.

            Some of you folks don't seem to have the will to restore anything. After all, we are not talking about something of historical significance. We are speaking of modern arms that you all seem to be speaking of in terms of MONEY.

            I am not in or from California, but sometimes you folks get a bit weird.

            Here we speak about guns, plain and simple.

            I hope it's not about money; it's about guns.

            Comment

            • #66
              Dano3467
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2013
              • 7381

              Here in CA most all HG's go for a premium $.$$$ an so all things considered, when buying in CA, we don't have all the luxury's of getting anything new we want without huge CA mark up's, some are just not available at all (deemed not Safe)

              Sure we could settle for a scratched up piece, or not, myself, at the price point we must endure the issues or pass, I want the best I can possibly get.

              Comment

              • #67
                AKexpat
                Member
                • May 2014
                • 375

                I just have to weigh in on this subject again. It seems that most folks that abhor the idiot scratch want to have a 1911 that looks pretty sitting in front of them with the option of selling it to someone who wants to look at it sitting pretty in front of them.

                How many of you folks have ever completely stripped a 1911 down to every part (and I am not speaking of simple field stripping)?

                Have you ever built one from a stripped frame and parts from other suppliers?

                Have you ever looked at the wear insofar as the barrel lugs impacting the slide? Have you ever looked at possible frame impact from the slide?

                Have you ever thought of lessening the trigger pull by replacing the standard 23# mainspring with a lighter Wolff spring?

                Have you ever thought about throating the barrel to accept more than hardball (Jerry Kuhnhausen's excellent book comes immediately to mind) which can be done with judicial use of a Dremel tool and appropriate stones?

                I don't think so because my idea is that you "no scratch" folks have never gone beyond field-stripping and have no clue as to how a 1911 really works.

                I think you folks just buy them and sell them insofar as looks are concerned.

                Like I said before, I am not in or from CA, but maybe with your arcane gun laws you may take a different bent.

                My guns are tools and I am not afraid to work on them if I can create a better tool.

                Jim

                Comment

                • #68
                  Chapped Hide
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 3901

                  Originally posted by AKexpat
                  I just have to weigh in on this subject again. It seems that most folks that abhor the idiot scratch want to have a 1911 that looks pretty sitting in front of them with the option of selling it to someone who wants to look at it sitting pretty in front of them.

                  How many of you folks have ever completely stripped a 1911 down to every part (and I am not speaking of simple field stripping)?

                  Have you ever built one from a stripped frame and parts from other suppliers?

                  Have you ever looked at the wear insofar as the barrel lugs impacting the slide? Have you ever looked at possible frame impact from the slide?

                  Have you ever thought of lessening the trigger pull by replacing the standard 23# mainspring with a lighter Wolff spring?

                  Have you ever thought about throating the barrel to accept more than hardball (Jerry Kuhnhausen's excellent book comes immediately to mind) which can be done with judicial use of a Dremel tool and appropriate stones?

                  I don't think so because my idea is that you "no scratch" folks have never gone beyond field-stripping and have no clue as to how a 1911 really works.

                  I think you folks just buy them and sell them insofar as looks are concerned.

                  Like I said before, I am not in or from CA, but maybe with your arcane gun laws you may take a different bent.

                  My guns are tools and I am not afraid to work on them if I can create a better tool.

                  Jim
                  So hopefully you know how to put them back together without putting a ****ing idiot scratch on the gun Apparently there are many here that don't and try and justify it as honest wear
                  **** your feelings!

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    gixxnrocket
                    Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 407

                    I bought one with an idiot scratch. Brushed stainless slide, SA Trophy match. The scratch doesn't affect the accuracy one bit. YMMV, I bought it to shoot not to put in a museum display.

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      AKexpat
                      Member
                      • May 2014
                      • 375

                      Originally posted by Chapped Hide
                      So hopefully you know how to put them back together without putting a ****ing idiot scratch on the gun Apparently there are many here that don't and try and justify it as honest wear
                      Absolutely! And to your comment about the idiot scratch that many don't justify as honest wear: I agree wholeheartedly!

                      However, it happens and it can usually be rectified. That is not the worst transgression that can happen to a 1911 by a long shot. It is only cosmetic.

                      I worry about the folks that that do not pay attention to the mechanical aberations that happen in a poorly built 1911, and that can be from many manufacturers.

                      Maybe you have seen my AMT (Covina) on this thread which has been thoroughly gone through. It runs, and runs, and most of you folks would haven't even considered this derelict as a viable pistol considering the language I am seeing here.

                      I am of the idea that the California folks are concerned with looks and not practicality and function, just from reading this thread. Please correct me if I am wrong.

                      I reiterate: my guns are tools. I love looking at pristine guns, but they are someone else's pieces and not what I want to buy/own because I would just make them look like the tools I have. I am into function over looks.

                      If one looks back into history, most firearms were not treated very well and what survived was usually in pretty bad shape, except for the few guns that were kept in families as keepsakes for whatever historic occasion and are now for the most part in collections.

                      Jim

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        Dano3467
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2013
                        • 7381

                        gixxnrocket:...if you bought one with (I) scratch on it, how much of a reduction in $$$ did you save buying the the idiot scratch firearm ??

                        Just curious, did you pay full ride ? or ask or received fair comp ? as you'd not stated.

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          static2126
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Mar 2013
                          • 5619

                          Originally posted by AKexpat
                          The pistol you are describing has been handled/disassembled by someone not knowledgeable about 1911 pistols, and you are worried about an idiot scratch?? Usually rectified by a touch of 0000 steel wool or brass wool, your preference. I have owned and worked on (in my own possession) over half a dozen 1911 pistols ranging from a steel Combat Commander .38 Super to an Para-Ord 14 shot .45 homebuilt with a no-name slide.

                          Idiot scratches are fairly rectified by knowledgeable folks with the right mind and the right tools.

                          Some of you folks don't seem to have the will to restore anything. After all, we are not talking about something of historical significance. We are speaking of modern arms that you all seem to be speaking of in terms of MONEY.

                          I am not in or from California, but sometimes you folks get a bit weird.

                          Here we speak about guns, plain and simple.

                          I hope it's not about money; it's about guns.
                          Lots of California gun owners seem to collect vs shoot. A coworker.of mine comes.to mind. Has has tons of nice guns X5, P210s, etc

                          He shoots 500 rounds a year or so

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            AKexpat
                            Member
                            • May 2014
                            • 375

                            Well, again, I am into tools.

                            My AMT Hardballer is nothing to look at as opposed to some of the prestigious 1911 pistols I am hearing about, but I have not seen any pictures of these supposed Safe Queens on this thread.

                            I will stay with my tool, thank you!

                            Looking forward to see your tabletop viewings.

                            Jim
                            Last edited by AKexpat; 06-06-2016, 5:10 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              gixxnrocket
                              Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 407

                              It was from a fellow calgunner. Out of respect for the seller I won't link the sale. however it was bumped for 4 months. I'm surprised it didn't sell for more, honestly.
                              For an out of production model with "150 rds through it" I still saved 3-400 at the time. There are so many TRP's on the market now I'm sure the Trophy match has depreciated a little.

                              Blems will defiantly matter more on high end guns. Collectors looking for high end 1911's want it to be mint. Custom LB with an idiot scratch will definatly hurt the resale.
                              lower end 1911's you may not get as good of a deal. (RIA 1911 with an idiot scratch... kick the tires for $50)

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                Jimmy's
                                Veteran Member
                                • May 2016
                                • 2600

                                If you have a gun without a scratch you don't have a gun you have a book end.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1