Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shield-Does the slide drop with full mag?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    saudadeii
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2012
    • 3468

    Some of mine will "auto-forward" if I hit it just right when slamming in a mag. My Shield is not one of them.

    I have others that will not release regardless of angle or force. Since it's not even reliable on the ones that do, I always release the slide with an overhand rack. In case the slide did release, worst case is I eject a good round.
    My Marketplace Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k#post54003245

    Comment

    • #32
      Kean
      Member
      • Jun 2015
      • 168

      Again, this is covered in the manual like the "pull and release" instructions for chambering a round that I mentioned earlier.

      WARNING: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE UPWARD
      FORCE WHEN INSERTING A LOADED MAGAZINE
      INTO THE PISTOL. EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE
      COULD CAUSE THE SLIDE TO MOVE FORWARD, CHAMBERING
      A ROUND
      AND MAKING THE PISTOL READY TO FIRE.
      To make sure that the magazine is fully and securely inserted,
      apply some removal pressure to the exposed portion of the
      magazine floorplate.

      • Pull the slide to the rear and release it, allowing it to carry fully
      forward.
      This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it
      in the chamber of the barrel.

      Comment

      • #33
        edgalang
        Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 259

        Originally posted by Click here
        its a slide stop not a slide release. Take your hand pull the slide and release it. In high stress scenarios that's the only method you should use.
        While I agree that the slide stop should only be used as that, I however like pushing with the strong hand instead of pulling back with the weak hand.

        Noone should be charging a pistol with theirs arms extended anyways.

        Comment

        • #34
          Kean
          Member
          • Jun 2015
          • 168

          ....all roads lead to Rome. The point is that the slide itself should be cycled to chamber a round rather than the slide stop.

          Comment

          • #35
            deephouse
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2012
            • 3858

            Power stroke it. You'll use the same motion on virtually any semi auto. In other words, same muscle memory routine for any semi auto.

            Comment

            • #36
              mafbloggerdanny
              Member
              • Sep 2010
              • 412

              On my M&P Pro Series CORE 9mm - if I insert the mag with a nice hard slap, I can make the slide drop on insertion.

              On my SHIELD (non-CA) 9mm - the slide will not drop on mag insertion, I have to use the slide stop lever or slingshot method.

              On SHIELD, the slide stop lever is NOT stiff do drop with a mag loaded. It IS stiff if I'm trying to do it with an unloaded mag, but with a loaded mag it requires the same force as my CORE or my 1911, which is not much.

              Comment

              • #37
                Sapperforward
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 2928

                Originally posted by californiagal
                Newbie here.
                I love learning all this gun-lingo. Apparently I do the slingshot.
                The shield has been my least favorite purchase so far...just wait till you try to field strip it for the first time.
                I field strip mine everytime I use it. Never had even a small bit of difficulty doing it. What is supposed to be difficult about it?

                Sent from my secret bunker using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #38
                  Kean
                  Member
                  • Jun 2015
                  • 168

                  Originally posted by Sapperforward
                  I field strip mine everytime I use it. Never had even a small bit of difficulty doing it. What is supposed to be difficult about it?

                  Sent from my secret bunker using Tapatalk
                  Reminds me.... Many years ago a friend told me just how difficult my Ruger Mk II was going to be to disassemble/assemble (he had an earlier version but the essentially the same). Granted, there was a little learning curve at first (a little finesse involved) but nothing so difficult I wasn't able to figure out a method. Having said that I do realize some might not see things the same way. That friend of mine still struggled a bit reassembling his even after many years of ownership.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    hambam105
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 7083

                    Tactical shooters say they use, "Over-the-Top", to return the pistol into battery.

                    Recreational shooters say it's faster to use the slide stop to return the pistol into battery.

                    The OP sees the difference and is asking questions. And that is good. Unfortunately, the loading process was glossed over in his preparation phase. If the OP took a beginners training class and the loading process is still in question, obviously, he should ask for his money back.

                    Remember, either way...get the pistol back into action and move on.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      ojisan
                      Agent 86
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 11781

                      It's hard to slingshot one of these.
                      Note extended slide stop for ummm...for releasing the slide.

                      Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                      I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Sapperforward
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 2928

                        Originally posted by Kean
                        Reminds me.... Many years ago a friend told me just how difficult my Ruger Mk II was going to be to disassemble/assemble (he had an earlier version but the essentially the same). Granted, there was a little learning curve at first (a little finesse involved) but nothing so difficult I wasn't able to figure out a method. Having said that I do realize some might not see things the same way. That friend of mine still struggled a bit reassembling his even after many years of ownership.
                        I see your point. I still struggle disassembling Glock magazines.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          TempleKnight
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 918

                          Originally posted by ojisan
                          It's hard to slingshot one of these.
                          Note extended slide stop for ummm...for releasing the slide.
                          Open and Limited guns don't lock back on the last round.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            P5Ret
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 6395

                            Originally posted by Sapperforward
                            I see your point. I still struggle disassembling Glock magazines.


                            Best 12 bucks I ever spent.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              darkjedi351
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 940

                              Originally posted by beachtech
                              I'm leaning toward purchasing a Shield 9mm or 40. One question that I haven't been able to find an answer to on the internet- Does the slide drop on inserting a full mag?
                              I know the slingshot method is the popular way of dropping the slide on this gun, but I really don't like the slingshot method. I have also heard the slide release is really stiff.

                              Thanks all!
                              lots of semi auto handguns go into battery when a magazine is seated with force. it's not a feature and it's not a malfunction. it can actually be learned to be repeatable with every mag change. smaller guns like the shield may not have enough slide mass for this action
                              http://m14hdw.proboards.com/index.cgi

                              http://www.sageebr.com/

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                hambam105
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 7083

                                lots of semi auto handguns go into battery when a magazine is seated with force.
                                TRUE.
                                it's not a feature and it's not a malfunction.
                                TRUE.
                                it can actually be learned to be repeatable with every mag change.
                                TRUE

                                it can actually be learned to be repeatable with every mag change.
                                When you say, "it'', are you referring to the pistol learning what to do, or the shooter knowing what to do?

                                Many a good pistol smith will slightly alter the slide stop lever so the slide will return home when a fresh magazine is seated. IPSC Secret #4, 1982. The not so secret is when the shooter fumbles the magazine insertion and the slide returns home before the magazine is seated. IDPA sees this alteration as 'gaming' and that is why you see such an emphasis on open slide lock nonsensical rules etched in Arkansas stone.

                                The only In-Factory-Specifications semiautomatic firearm that I know of that will often close the bolt by itself immediately following the magazine being re-charged is the M1 Garand Rifle. Of course the M1 has a internal non-detachable magazine that is feed by a clip. But as for detachable magazine feed pistol that automatically close on magazine seating I am not certain.

                                Since the World War One Era, the United States fighting firearms are designed to lock-open after the last round has been fired and stay mechanically open until the shooter physically applies pressure to a button or lever to intentionally close the bolt. What recreational shooters do with files and tin snips to their pistols in the name of Sport is for their entertainment and leisure.
                                Last edited by hambam105; 05-05-2016, 9:34 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1