Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Smith and Wesson M&P

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    m1371
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1118

    Originally posted by Rums
    Supposedly Beretta has some weak pins that break in the slide that makes the gun unshootable.
    That was an issue with the early Berettas delivered as part of a gov't contract. Turned into an internet myth that all Berettas would break while firing at some point in time.

    Despite the fact I freaking hate Berettas, they aren't junk guns.
    Learning without thought is labor lost, thought without learning is perilous. -Foamy

    Comment

    • #32
      vonsmith
      Member
      • Apr 2006
      • 389

      Originally posted by Rums
      I have never shot a glock that didn't jam. I've shot three different ones. It's always something. Casing not being extracted, no ejecting, next round not going into the chamber, slide getting stuck, ect. And I wasn't shooting wolf, I was shooting Winchester FMJ. Glad to hear your input on S&W, I've only shot their revolvers (which, by the way, are fantastic no matter who you are). But then again, you like glock :-p I'm not opposed to a higher caliber, its just a matter of finding the right gun. If I find a gun at a higher caliber that I like, I'll get it. I won't let it stop me. I'm not just looking at the S&W now, I'm considering a few different brands, including S&W, Springfield, Sig, and Ruger. I'm going to go into the gun store, hold a bunch of guns, toy with them, find what I like, then go to the range and rent theirs if they have it or something similar. I don't need to make the decision quickly, I got all the time I need :-p
      I own a Glock 23 compact in .40 S&W. I never had a problem with over 1000 shots fired. I routinely shoot my friend's compensated Glock .45 and Glock 9mm without any problems. Use FMJ and avoid lead bullets in a Glock. The rifling in a Glock isn't designed for lead to barrel contact. Using FMJ's the specially treated barrel will probably outlast the owner. Reloads shouldn't be used in a Glock. If you get a bad reload that doesn't fully seat in the chamber the Glock can fire out of battery and go kaboom. This is very unlikely by the way. Avoid reloads, even the good ones, and a Glock is not going to let you down.

      Okay so Glocks are generally reliable. I bought mine for specific reasons. They are so popular I felt I should know how to shoot one. The trigger gets some getting use to so I wanted to be proficient at firing a Glock. The magazines usually don't drop free and that may take some getting used to. They are a good choice for CCW (which I don't have... yet) because they don't rust even when carried at the sweaty lower back during summer in the southwest. I wanted a "utility" gun, something that was reliable, shootable, but not necessarily pretty. The Glocks are homely and don't offer hardly any dress-up options. They will never look pretty like a fully dressed 1911. They instead are a tool. As such they may or may not appeal to some people.


      =vonsmith=
      Last edited by vonsmith; 07-25-2006, 10:50 AM.

      Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: And the Lord spake, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to 3. No more. No less. 3 shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be 3. 4 shalt thou not count, nor either count thou 2, excepting that thou then proceed to 3. 5 is right out. Once the number 3, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'

      Comment

      • #33
        Exiledviking
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 1461

        I was speaking to the RO and the discussion went to the M&P. He said he was able to try one out when a S&W rep came and he felt the trigger pull was funky and long. He said its almost as bad as a Sigma. Why risk your life or the life of your family with untested technology.
        Well... He's WRONG! Why not try it out for yourself. EVERY person that has shot my M&P has loved the trigger.

        FWIW, let's not get into a "the Glock is better than XXXXXX". Some people love Glocks, other people prefer something else.
        "Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
        - John Lott -

        Comment

        • #34
          Sugarfoot47
          Member
          • Mar 2005
          • 311

          Arguments about which handgun is best overall will never cease. Our greatgranchildren will turn to dust long before it stops. IMO take the time to try out each handgun that you're thinking about getting and make a decision from there. All the handguns mentioned in this topic are of proven quality. "Try before you buy" has helped many purchasers avoid making the wrong pick. It boils down to what feels right for you. My Glock 19 has had nothing but my own FMJ reloads(made on a Dillon 650) thru it and has never jammed,not even once. But that's not to say it's for everyone. I do like the ergos on the XD series pistols and I think the SW M&P will eventually get their followers if it proves to be an excellent handgun over time.

          Comment

          • #35
            Cato
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2006
            • 5659

            Never skimp when it comes to firearms. Sigs are too expensive? If you are going to spend $500 on a M&P why not spend a couple more hundrend and get a Sig? Do you really want a second rate firearm? As far as revolvers go S&W are the best in my opinion. However, when it comes to autos, S&Ws are the Buicks of pistols. Reliable, yes Good Warranty, yes Boring, oh yeah!

            Comment

            • #36
              CalNRA
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2006
              • 8686

              some of us try to buy American as much as we can....

              if it is a work horse then why not? if you like Sigs great. Sigs aren't for everybody.
              Originally posted by cvigue
              This is not rocket surgery.

              Comment

              • #37
                Rums
                Member
                • Apr 2006
                • 117

                The only way I know to try a pistol is to rent it from the range, and the range I go to doesn't have some of these pistols. Are there other ways to try the guns that I'm not seeing? I do like to buy American if possible, but I'm not hellbent on it.

                Comment

                • #38
                  rorschach
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 4405

                  Personally I would take my Kimber SWAT (or any 1911 for that matter) HK USP45, G21 or even my Browning Hi-Power over my G17, but even with a G17 your FAR from inadequately armed. I too love the SIG's, owning both a P220 .45, and a P226 .40, but I have not trained hard with them, I am more comfortable with the others. It's a bummer CHP stuck with the mediocre S&W 4006 when they had the opportunity to have SIG's.

                  And for the record, I'm not a S&W basher, I have several revolvers and a SW1911, all were bought after the new owners purchased S&W. I just dont like their 2nd and 3rd generation autopistols, or the way the previous owners f**ked us over.

                  I would take any S&W over a Beretta though.

                  (dons flameproof underoo's)
                  Last edited by rorschach; 07-25-2006, 11:59 PM.
                  L.A. County
                  Mailed to LASD Hall of Justice: 6/27/2022 received:6/28
                  Check cashed: 8/22/2022
                  Livescan: 4/22/2023 DOJ 4/22 FBI 4/23 Firearms 4/26
                  Call for interview: 5/24/2023 Interview: 5/31/2023
                  PTT: 8/21/23 Training submitted 8/27/23
                  Call for pickup 10/12/23 Pickup: 11/8/23

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1