Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My 1st squib

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ontmark
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 1237

    No Squibs yet!

    Put I have had a Hot Load in my S&W 659 that I had to hammer out with a brass rod when I got home. The reloads came with the 659 I bought.
    Had about twenty of them left and gave them top a friend who reloads and he was going to pull them and reuse the case and bullet.

    PS: Glad you are ok and caught it.

    Comment

    • #17
      rdtompki
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2014
      • 773

      I've recently experienced an additional squib variant. A soft 115gr N320 9mm load works great in our 1911s. IF a .380 case sneaks through my reloading process, albeit with the proper powder load, there is not enough bullet seated in the case to allow pressure to build. The round emits a very slight "pop", the bullet barely enters the rifling and the gases escape past the unexpanded case.

      I verified this by duplicating the problem (with my wife's gun ). The bullet is easily tapped out with a brass rod. A plunk test shows how little of the bullet actually left the chamber. Now I can't count on the next round failing to go into battery so I've ordered the $20 aluminum .380/9mm sorter plate as a further measure to prevent those darn .380 rounds from sneaking through.
      Last edited by rdtompki; 12-07-2015, 6:58 AM.

      Comment

      • #18
        Wordupmybrotha
        From anotha motha
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2013
        • 6965

        I had a squib round once about a year ago. A guy at the range let me shoot his 9mm CZ with ammo that he reloaded. I didn't even know I had a squib round. If he hadn't stopped me, I might have blown up his pistol and my body part. Replaying the event back in my mind, the recoil was less than normal. Due to the fact that it was a gun I wasn't used to and his hand loads were lighter than a factory load, the thought of it being a squib didn't enter my mind.

        Good thing he was paying attention though. He said the shot was noticeably quieter so he stopped me before I fired off the next round.

        Comment

        • #19
          onelonehorseman
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2012
          • 4888

          Originally posted by hermosabeach
          Any product made can have an issue....

          ^^ I have only had one squib ever, and it was from 45acp Winchester FMJ white box.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #20
            teflondog
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 4011

            How did you know it was a squib? I'm always worried that someday I'll have a squib and not realize it when I shoot another round.
            Originally posted by G. Michael Hopf
            Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

            Comment

            • #21
              SouperMan
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2012
              • 1463

              Originally posted by teflondog
              How did you know it was a squib? I'm always worried that someday I'll have a squib and not realize it when I shoot another round.
              Crank up the volume and start playing at 8:19 and you can distinctly hear a pop/thunk at 8:23.


              From the thread, "Another CGN Legend Fails CZ-75..." maybe other posters didn't pay very close attention but there was a squib that (thankfully) prevented the gun from retuning into battery. It was very faint and scarily easy to miss if you aren't careful.

              Comment

              • #22
                teflondog
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2009
                • 4011

                Originally posted by SouperMan
                Crank up the volume and start playing at 8:19 and you can distinctly hear a pop/thunk at 8:23.


                From the thread, "Another CGN Legend Fails CZ-75..." maybe other posters didn't pay very close attention but there was a squib that (thankfully) prevented the gun from retuning into battery. It was very faint and scarily easy to miss if you aren't careful.
                Ah, okay. Thanks.

                I didn't know squibs make a different sound.
                Originally posted by G. Michael Hopf
                Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

                Comment

                • #23
                  supermario
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4569

                  All my life Ive been shooting, 30+ years and back in the day there was never issues with the ammo ever. I remember shooting thousands of rounds per outing (ammo was cheap).

                  But now you hear about faulty ammo all the time. It seems to me the companies just make crap nowadays.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    CodyGT46
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 1846

                    Good thing you managed to catch it. I made two mistakes for my first sorta squib. It was my gun, but not my reloads and I wasn't shooting it. My friend said he wanted to try out his "hot loads" but didn't trust his old Taurus to handle the pressures. So we went out and used my old model Ruger Blackhawk. He ended up firing it as fast as he could through 5 shots before I could get him to stop since I never saw any holes in the target and the gun didn't even look like it recoiled at all.

                    Sure enough he got 5 rounds stuck up the dang pipe. At least my gunsmith was able to get the rounds out and my friend doesn't get to touch any of my guns anymore unless he's shooting factory ammo or my own reloads.
                    RIP Edrik M Alford 1966-2014.
                    I love you and miss you pop.
                    I'll meet you on the range in heaven, keep a bench open for me.

                    Pro 2A.
                    Pro Freedom
                    Pro Everyone minding their own business.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Chunky_lover
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 1938

                      ive had a squib once with some weird russian ammo
                      first couple rounds fell apart in the gun, all this gunpowder all over
                      then one got stuck in the barrel, thankfully I was familiar enough to know the NO BANG was a problem and looked in the barrel

                      instead of rack, tap, bang like I see in all the cool videos
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Carcassonne
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 4897

                        I have had a lot of squibs lately. I think the quality of powder and primers has gone down since the 1980s and 1990s. I started buying new powder and primers around 2009 when Obama took office. Maybe the rush orders caused poor quality control.

                        Below is a 200gr lead bullet from a 44 Special round in an 8" 44 Magnum revolver. It almost made it out of the barrel.



                        Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                        In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                        I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          44fred
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2011
                          • 2399

                          Originally posted by supermario
                          All my life Ive been shooting, 30+ years and back in the day there was never issues with the ammo ever. I remember shooting thousands of rounds per outing (ammo was cheap).

                          But now you hear about faulty ammo all the time. It seems to me the companies just make crap nowadays.
                          Thousands of rounds per outing? Is an "outing" a weeks vacation in the desert?
                          Just 22lr maybe? Full automatic maybe?

                          This whole squib thing keeps me from buying a progressive press. I'm very slow and deliberate and inspect every rounds powder charge in my trays before I seat a bullet. No drinking alcohol or even coffee before I reload.
                          45acp, 9mm and 556 are pretty cheap so I don't reload for those.
                          Last week I had a low charge from Federal new factory 45acp. I was breaking in a new 1911 and saw the round hit the paper. I was surprised I got a complete cycle of the action, it felt like a 9mm.
                          "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

                          "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

                          "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
                          -- Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Carcassonne
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 4897

                            Originally posted by 44fred
                            Thousands of rounds per outing? Is an "outing" a weeks vacation in the desert?
                            Just 22lr maybe? Full automatic maybe?

                            This whole squib thing keeps me from buying a progressive press.

                            For me an outing is about 5 days in the forest. I can blast several thousand rounds of pistol and rifle ammo in one outing. 5 boxes of clays is over 500 rounds of ammo.

                            The squib pictured above was loaded in a single stage press with each powder charged weighed. Something was wrong with either the powder (Accurate #9) or the primer. The powder didn't fully burn. There was a lot of unburned powder in the barrel and cylinder.


                            .
                            Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                            In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                            I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              MrOrange
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 2262

                              Originally posted by Carcassonne
                              Below is a 200gr lead bullet from a 44 Special round in an 8" 44 Magnum revolver. It almost made it out of the barrel.
                              Sorry for your misfortune, but that first pic is hilarious! Needs a snappy caption.


                              Originally posted by 44fred
                              This whole squib thing keeps me from buying a progressive press.
                              It's what made me buy a Dillon, and throw the Lee 1000 in the trash. I could've sold it for a couple bucks, but I wouldn't wish that thing on anybody.

                              Yes it was my own fault for not confirming every case had powder, but it seemed like every round that Lee needed some tap this, check that, reset this, re-tighten that, etc. and it was real easy to miss something. With the Dillon, I can tell by feel if there's anything wrong with seating the primer, and it's simple to take a peek in the case before the bullet goes in. Every round still gets a visual and tactile inspection before getting put up. I like to think I learned my lesson, 'cause that squib was like 25 years ago and I haven't had another brain fart yet. (With reloading, anyway.)
                              I meant, it is my opinion that...






                              I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
                              I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
                              You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1