Also, that's what my department use anyways, Federal 147 HST & Winchester Ranger 147.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Defense ammo question.
Collapse
X
-
-
Thanks again all for the input.
One more related question regarding (home) self defense rounds. A friend suggested loading a magazine alternating between FMJ and HP with HP being the first round. Is that a common practice?.
Facts are to liberals as kryptonite is to Superman.
...
Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).Comment
-
May be "common practice" by some but I'd not recommend it. FMJ travels flat and punches nice symmetrically round holes.. in paper. Not ideal for HD due to the potential for over-penetration. True HP pistol ammo can over penetrate as well but FMJ doesn't offer any of the expansion that HP does. And expansion is what you want.Comment
-
In the wilderness, that's exactly what I do. But in the city, it's generally a bad idea to use anything other than just JHP in a defense pistol.
If you do alternate rounds for wilderness carry, I would suggest making sure both types of rounds have roughly the same muzzle energy as each other, otherwise your recoil energy will alternate as well, really messing with your followup shots.Comment
-
Common practice if you want half the effectiveness. No reason to use FMJ for defense. Pistol rounds won't penetrate body armor and with rifle rounds it doesn't matter.Comment
-
As one with an engineering background I appreciate the technical discussions. What has been posted here will influence what I buy for home defense.
That said.... Shot placement trumps all.
Better than buying the best ammo, spend time and money acquiring training that will enable solid hits under stress."An unarmed man can only flee from evil. And evil is not overcome by fleeing from it" - Col. Jeff Cooper
"Shot placement trumps all."
Originally posted by CSACANNONEERWho uses 9mm for SD? Anything less than a 50BMG is stupid to use. Personally, I prefer canister rounds out of a 10lb Parrott rifle for SD.Comment
-
sigpic
WTS JL audio 8W7 X2, JL audio 500/1v2, Alpine Ine-940, Stinger Cap!!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5#post17991865
WTS SIG MPX CARBINE, SIG MPX PISTOL, NIGHTHAWK CUSTOM PREDATOR, Acog in .308!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1186395
Originally posted by Grunt81I'm serious.
Are you one of those .45 elitists?Comment
-
+p not to sure..... i just use whatever they give me lol...Comment
-
Unless FMJ/solid-copper is ideal for things things you might want to defend yourself from. Pretty sure nobody would recommend JHP for a bear. Yes, for HD, JHP is the only way to go. The alternating round thing might be (and is, in my opinion) a good solution for when you don't know if an attacker will have 2 or 4 legs.Last edited by CandG; 10-12-2015, 12:30 AM.Comment
-
One of the major LE agencies in so Cal is changing the issue duty ammo from Ranger RA9T to HST. RA9T is a very good ammo, but I guess the HST showed a little more penetration and expansion in a recent test.
I love RA9T ammo, because it is very accurate.Comment
-
You might want to read the thread getting a lot of attention:
"Experience with Hornady critical defense"
In that thread they list a YouTube video I think is worth watching when you're considering HD ammo:
Other advice given above is also good information. Good luck!- JamesComment
-
HST>>>HS, thoughComment
-
I often carry FMJ in backup mags, so that I can pop off the fwy to my secret squirrel spots and dump a quick mag cheap, lol. Got nothing to do with effectiveness haha.Unless FMJ/solid-copper is ideal for things things you might want to defend yourself from. Pretty sure nobody would recommend JHP for a bear. Yes, for HD, JHP is the only way to go. The alternating round thing might be (and is, in my opinion) a good solution for when you don't know if an attacker will have 2 or 4 legs.Comment
-
Same guy as why so many recommend HST over anything elseYou might want to read the thread getting a lot of attention:
"Experience with Hornady critical defense"
In that thread they list a YouTube video I think is worth watching when you're considering HD ammo:
Other advice given above is also good information. Good luck!
"Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. TrumpComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,233
Posts: 25,145,832
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,513
Welcome to our newest member, LakeLife.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 34768 users online. 128 members and 34640 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment