Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W Model 66 .357

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • I Plea The 2nd
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 53

    S&W Model 66 .357

    I have been wanting to buy a pre lock Smith revolver for a while now and living in California, we have a limited market of them. I recently stumbled upon a 4 inch Model 66 and was intrigued by it. I am more of a 586/686, but I really liked the way the 66 looked and felt in my hands. What would be a fair price to pay for one and what should I look for when inspecting it. I am attaching a picture. Best I could do with my crappy phone.
    Attached Files
  • #2
    Your ad here
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 567

    I bought the same one but with wood grips for around $575 a year ago. Im a 686 guy but that 66 is my favorite wheel gun. Check the action (pull the trigger 6 times), make sure the cylinder locks (clicks) into place when it rotates, and check the bottom of the forcing cone for cracks.

    Comment

    • #3
      jkody
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 1081

      Had to check my safe and work bench. Looks just like mine, same grips and all and I use the same glock mat. Mine is a -1 and I paid $350 quite a few years back. It would probably sell for $500 to $700 now depending on what -# and condition. Inspect as mentioned above.

      Comment

      • #4
        Oceanbob
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jun 2010
        • 12720

        I sold a clean one with wood grips for $750. Real clean.
        May the Bridges I burn light the way.

        Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

        Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

        Comment

        • #5
          CodyGT46
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 1846

          I own a 2" 66 no dash, but I got it as a gift.

          I have been offered $700 for it though.
          RIP Edrik M Alford 1966-2014.
          I love you and miss you pop.
          I'll meet you on the range in heaven, keep a bench open for me.

          Pro 2A.
          Pro Freedom
          Pro Everyone minding their own business.

          Comment

          • #6
            SLO1911Fan
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 1483

            In decent to good shape with the I would pay $450-550 for a 4" or $600-650 for a 2.5". To be on the high end of the spectrum it would need original grips. I would personally pay slightly more for a 19, than a 66.

            That said, I love my 66. I've been carrying it daily for the last two weeks.
            I'm a big old, bourbon-soaked cigar-huffing ***, as God in his infinite wisdom meant me to be. - Charlie Sheen.

            Comment

            • #7
              SLO1911Fan
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 1483

              Originally posted by HopetonBrown
              I don't think they make 2" barrels. They're measured from the cylinder, not the frame, so you might have a 3".
              3" models exist, but are rather rare. The common K frame snub nose is a 2.5" barrel.
              I'm a big old, bourbon-soaked cigar-huffing ***, as God in his infinite wisdom meant me to be. - Charlie Sheen.

              Comment

              • #8
                Octaviob
                Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 163

                You can never go wrong with a S&W 66. They shoot as good as they look.

                It was my first handgun many years ago and it will always have a special place in my heart.
                And so it goes...

                Comment

                • #9
                  highpower
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2012
                  • 5331

                  The price will depend on whether it is an early model with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders, or a later version. A no dash with the original stocks along the box and papers can easily sell for $750 and up depending on condition, 2.5" barrels bring a premium. I bought a -2 (non-pinned) with a 6" barrel a year and a half ago for $340 from a gun store in California just before I moved to Nevada.

                  The pictured 4" 66 with a set of aftermarket grips should sell for around $500 + or -. Since it is in the PRC, you might have to pay a little more.
                  MLC member.

                  Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

                  Dumocraps suck balls.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    morrcarr67
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 15053

                    Originally posted by I Plea The 2nd
                    I have been wanting to buy a pre lock Smith revolver for a while now and living in California, we have a limited market of them. I recently stumbled upon a 4 inch Model 66 and was intrigued by it. I am more of a 586/686, but I really liked the way the 66 looked and felt in my hands. What would be a fair price to pay for one and what should I look for when inspecting it. I am attaching a picture. Best I could do with my crappy phone.


                    Nice gun.

                    What ever you feel is fair. Makes no difference what we feel is fair if you say that's crazy I'm not paying that.
                    Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

                    Originally posted by Erion929

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Revoman
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 2395

                      Looks like someone might have polished it to a high sheen. You can bring it back close to factory finish if you wish.
                      A 4" in good condition, in California, should be in the $600 - $650 range.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        I Plea The 2nd
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2014
                        • 53

                        Originally posted by highpower
                        The price will depend on whether it is an early model with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders, or a later version. A no dash with the original stocks along the box and papers can easily sell for $750 and up depending on condition, 2.5" barrels bring a premium. I bought a -2 (non-pinned) with a 6" barrel a year and a half ago for $340 from a gun store in California just before I moved to Nevada.

                        The pictured 4" 66 with a set of aftermarket grips should sell for around $500 + or -. Since it is in the PRC, you might have to pay a little more.
                        Not sure what year it is, but it is a no dash.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Erion929
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 4706

                          Agree....$600-650 max without original, or at least period-correct, wooden grips....depends on condition. I think in a free state it would be $500.
                          Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!

                          https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017


                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CodyGT46
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2011
                            • 1846

                            Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                            I don't think they make 2" barrels. They're measured from the cylinder, not the frame, so you might have a 3".
                            Yeah I meant to put 2.5" barrel, oops.
                            RIP Edrik M Alford 1966-2014.
                            I love you and miss you pop.
                            I'll meet you on the range in heaven, keep a bench open for me.

                            Pro 2A.
                            Pro Freedom
                            Pro Everyone minding their own business.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CoachUP
                              Junior Member
                              • Aug 2015
                              • 70

                              I have a 66-2. 1982 production date.

                              It's a family heirloom as it was my Dads Alameda County sheriffs service revolver.

                              To me it's priceless.



                              Last edited by CoachUP; 09-20-2015, 3:53 PM.
                              Straight shooter

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1