Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Does anyone still prefer .40?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • remyjoeboxer
    Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 162

    Does anyone still prefer .40?

    Just wondering if anyone shoots .40 by choice. NOT trying to start a caliber war, I'm sure everyone has their preferences and not much can be done to change that..but it's been a while since (as I understand it) 9mm has gained the FBI's favor again and I also hear PD's are going back as well.
    I have one with a 9mm conversion barrel, and will be picking up another soon because I got a sweet deal. I don't mind it and I do like it. Am I missing something?
    So just wondering if those that chose .40 back in the day are still loving it.
    Those that still shoot .40, what are your reasons?
    Those that have recently or will purchase a .40 handgun, why?
  • #2
    Degrelle
    Banned
    • Oct 2014
    • 364

    What's a .40?

    Comment

    • #3
      _TomT_
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2013
      • 3354

      Originally posted by Degrelle
      What's a .40?

      I think he means .40SW or 40 Short and Weak.

      Comment

      • #4
        remyjoeboxer
        Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 162

        Yup ..40SW, 40 Strong and Well maybe? Or maybe not?

        Comment

        • #5
          BoJackUSMC
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2010
          • 7091

          I have sig p320 compact fde 40s&w... not big fan of it, but I dont mind... in fact, thinking about selling it lol..
          I prefer 9mm.. easier to shoot and faster follow up..
          I dont mind the 40s&w recoil, little snappy that's all.

          Comment

          • #6
            NiteQwill
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2007
            • 6368

            .40 S&W is only good for one thing.... shooting USPSA Limited. That's it.

            Ballistics have far advanced in the past few decades.

            The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.

            Comment

            • #7
              RobertMW
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2013
              • 2117

              I shoot USPSA Limited, so .40 is required to shoot major. I don't (can't, ****ing sheriff) carry, but if I did the caliber would probably depend on what gun I am going to carry. If I'm stuck with 10 rounds no matter the bullet, I will pack a bigger bullet. If I sacrifice capacity (like a shield or baby glock) I would go with the 9mm.

              And since a compact or full size 45 would be even bigger of a bullet, why wouldn't I carry 10 rounds of 45? Well, 45's just make the gun bigger, and I don't think I want to carry a round that is heavier recoiling than what I shoot 95% of the time.

              Also, I don't care what technological advances there have been in terminal ballistics, 9mm still don't expand as big as a 40 or 45 while going as deep. I'll go with the slightly bigger pokey holes.
              Last edited by RobertMW; 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM.
              Originally posted by kcbrown
              I'm most famous for my positive mental attitude.

              Comment

              • #8
                meaty-btz
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 8980

                All the BS aside every cartridge has a different recoil impulse in a different platform and in the end that should be the selection criteria. All pistol cals are about equal vs humans in the real world.. equally bad. So, since accuracy and speed are king. Whatever you can shoot best with in the platform is the clear winner. A lot of guns in 9mm are great shooters. Easy and fast and accurate. However there might be a platform where the .40SW is more comfortable to shoot or is shooter impulse preferred.

                I am not recoil sensitive but I don't like the .40. I prefer the 357SIG to the 40. I like how it shoots and feels. I am confident that I could put down an intruder with handloaded hollowpoint 762TOK, the wolf hollow points are severely underloaded and I wouldn't trust them in a fight. As you can see I shoot two cartridges known for both muzzle blast and recoil impulse but even so, I tend to find 40SW impulse.. to not be to my liking. I've fired just about everything on the list and some not in 40 and given the choice between 40 and 9 in all the platforms, I would go with 9 every time. I can put more on target faster. Oddly enough I can put more 357SIG Underwood rounds on target faster than I can with 40. Could just be psychology in play but.. whatever works is what matters.
                ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Ronin2
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 5563

                  Huh? What's a .40? Isn't that a big can of beer?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    incredablehefey
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 1853

                    I got rid of all of my 9mm guns and kept all of my .40 ones. No real reason just personal preference. I can remember shooting one of my Ruger p89s and thinking i could actually perceive the time it took for the slide to make its way back into battery. It could have needed the recoil spring replaced or more lube but when i shoot my .40s it seems instant and positive. Haters gonna hate but i like .40 better even if the difference is only in my head.
                    "The need in public and private life is common sense, decency, courage." - President Roosevelt

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      crufflers
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 12723

                      Originally posted by remyjoeboxer
                      Just wondering if anyone shoots .40 by choice. NOT trying to start a caliber war, I'm sure everyone has their preferences and not much can be done to change that..but it's been a while since (as I understand it) 9mm has gained the FBI's favor again and I also hear PD's are going back as well.
                      I have one with a 9mm conversion barrel, and will be picking up another soon because I got a sweet deal. I don't mind it and I do like it. Am I missing something?
                      So just wondering if those that chose .40 back in the day are still loving it.
                      Those that still shoot .40, what are your reasons?
                      Those that have recently or will purchase a .40 handgun, why?
                      I dumped mine because they became ineffective when local PD's and Feds went back to 9mm.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        code_blue
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 3461

                        I use .40 as a training round for my .357 Sig pistols similar to my training with .38 SPL in my .357 Mag revolvers. Ratio is likely shooting 3-400 training caliber rounds per every 100 carry caliber rounds. I likely wouldn't carry .40 S&W since .357 Sig is available.

                        9mm is my general plinking round, but I do carry it for defense at times. If I am ever allowed to purchase standard capacity mags, then I'll likely switch to 9mm.
                        Classifieds:

                        Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Zartan
                          In Memoriam
                          • Nov 2010
                          • 6269

                          as in Fotey-Glock?
                          "If he won't walk, walk him...be nice"
                          -Dalton



                          WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

                          http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Oldmandan
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 2721

                            Yup, I shoot it by choice. I feel its good training for 9mm+p loads I carry. Can't afford to practice with factory +p loads all the time.

                            Also, when ammo gets scarce again, 40 is usually the last to sell out.

                            Even though I have a few 45's, I just don't shoot them very often. Maybe I'll shoot them more once I start to reload 45
                            "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them" - Richard Henry Lee

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Catch
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 1327

                              I've been shooting 40 for 6-7 months. 9mm seems like a range/training round now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1