Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recommend a 9mm Compact

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Mayor McRifle
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2013
    • 7771

    Originally posted by Chewy65
    There have been some great suggestions and I haven't ruled out the 1911, but as for being familiar my military experience was in the 60's and I barely used a 1911, except when I was temporarily assigned to Marine Barracks LBNS. that and I was the small arms armorer in a fighter squadron. All the meant was I cleaned the pilot's 1911's. AS for the money, I can do a nice 1911 but a 9 or a .40 is likely better suited to my small frame and puny old man's musculature.


    I am reviewing all the specs of the suggestions, most of which I had heard. and so far it looks like the G19 or a Sig P229 Enhance Elite. The Glock is nice, but the 229 has a lot of features I like that may be similar to a 1911. Both have a rail but the Sig is DA/SA. This will be a close choice but as I have learned with shotguns, buy once, cry once.
    The P229 Enhanced Elite is a great gun (I just bought one) -- especially in .40, which the P229 was originally designed for. But while the barrel is a little shorter than the P226, it's not really what I would consider a "compact" gun.
    Anchors Aweigh

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #32
      Mossy Man
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2011
      • 7641

      Originally posted by Chapped Hide
      Springfield EMP?
      My dad just picked one of these up for cc.

      He's an older fellow and wanted something a little tamer than his Colt Defender.

      So we went to the range today with it....I think it's a great little gun. But be forewarned! The one we got seemed pretty sensitive to limpwristing.

      He would have a type 3 malf every 3 or 4 rounds. I'd hop in and shoot a few mags in between without issue, and he'd go right in and get type 3s again. Back to me, no problem.

      So pretty sure it was limp wristing.

      Otherwise, it was reliable on both 115gr FMJ's, Hornady Critical Defense 115s, and 124gr HSTs.

      Accurate, slim, lightweight.

      Good for carry, but would not want for HD. It's still pretty snappy; my G26 seems to mitigate all that snap that small guns seem to all have.

      Comment

      • #33
        advocatusdiaboli
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2009
        • 5521

        Sig Sauer P938 9mm, sub-compact, all metal, Sig Sauer reliability and quality, 9mm punch
        If you can pay the price, what more do you need? I carry it. It works for me. Just an option. But they are not on the Roster (effing Kommiefornia) so it is a "stretch goal" now that it is 2015.
        Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 03-08-2015, 10:43 PM.
        Benefactor Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran, Black Ribbon in Memoriam for the deceased 2nd Amendment
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #34
          bsg
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 25954

          my favorite 9mm compact is the Sig Sauer P225; not on roster, but can be had via PPT. the Sig Sauer P6 (P.W. ARMS) is on roster, but would most likely need some work to bring it up to speed of the P225; my preference is for the w german P225 for defensive application.

          the P225 is known for it's great ergonomics, and especially that it is very comfortable in the grip for those with small hands and for those with large hands. it is arguably the most ergonomically pleasing Sig Sauer handgun ever manufactured; YMMV. the P225 is pleasant to shoot and many owners find that it soon becomes their favorite handgun after acquiring one. most all owners of the P225 express strong loyalty to this Sig Sauer classic. the cost to purchase a P225 has recently increased significantly, coinciding with the gradual widening of it's fan base.

          Comment

          • #35
            Sutcliffe
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2003
            • 6792

            CZ-75 Compact

            The steel frame is no lightweight but easy shooting. Alloy framed versions make for better carry. CZ makes a damned accurate and reliable gun.

            Comment

            • #36
              smittty
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2008
              • 6269

              In 9mm I suggest G19, XD9 maybe the CZ 75 PCR...in that order.

              In 45 acp I suggest the XD45 Compact...this is a fantastic gun!

              Comment

              • #37
                sholling
                I need a LIFE!!
                CGN Contributor
                • Sep 2007
                • 10360

                Originally posted by Chewy65
                I have begun shopping for my first (in recent history) semi-automatic and would appreciate some recommendations. Here is a list of my criteria.

                [B]Calibre: 9mm

                Size: Compact

                Budget: About $1,000, less is best

                Purpose: Home defense, monthly range practice, very rarely for CCW (application pending)
                You have a lot of flexability with a $1000 budget. You can buy yourself a CCW friendly S&W Shield for a carry (~$440) for CCW and still have $500 left for a Sig SP2022, or Springfield XD9 or add $100 to the budget and pick up a Glock for the home and range.
                "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                Comment

                • #38
                  smittty
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 6269

                  Originally posted by sholling
                  You have a lot of flexability with a $1000 budget. You can buy yourself a CCW friendly S&W Shield for a carry (~$440) for CCW and still have $500 left for a Sig SP2022, or Springfield XD9 or add $100 to the budget and pick up a Glock for the home and range.
                  The Shield isn't fun to shoot. For a true carry gun get a S&W 340 or 642/442.

                  The SP2022 is great gun too. Last year those were $399, I should have bought one!

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    bonesurf
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 2088

                    Originally posted by Sky.Hawk
                    Check out the Sig P239

                    This. Or the p320 if you can find one and want striker fired


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k-for-bonesurf

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      9kracing
                      Member
                      • Sep 2014
                      • 406

                      USP Compact or Sig P229

                      The Sig will give you a greater choice of lights and lasers.
                      **WTB Northtech Defense upper receiver**

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        hedemark20
                        Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 182

                        Another vote for SIG. P229 or P239. SIGs are top notch & those two are excellent. The 239 would be easier to conceal because of being single stack. A SIG compared to a Glock is like a Honda Accord compared to a Corvette. SIGs are more expensive, but worth every penny
                        Citius - Altius - Fortius

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Mossy Man
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 7641

                          Originally posted by hedemark20
                          Another vote for SIG. P229 or P239. SIGs are top notch & those two are excellent. The 239 would be easier to conceal because of being single stack. A SIG compared to a Glock is like a Honda Accord compared to a Corvette. SIGs are more expensive, but worth every penny
                          Except 115 grains go the same FPS out of both guns, unlike a Honda that does 16s vs the Vette's 11.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            scootle
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 2702

                            Depends if the OP cares about DA/SA or not, so if he considers a Sig hammer-fired offering, it would probably have to be the DAK configuration... is that on our CA roster? I guess the P320 (striker/DAO) was mentioned, but definitely not on our lovely roster, right?

                            If you go down that rabbit hole, any HK with a LEM trigger would also be worth considering. Heck, they're not small or compact, but considering a HK VP9 or Walther PPQ via PPT might not be too bad a choice either...
                            SCC CCW *326 Days, $1051.29*
                            Application: 2/27/2023 ($72.33)
                            Original Interview: 12/21@1030|Actual: 4/13@0900
                            'Informal" email Background complete: 9/19
                            Email to schedule Psych: 10/27@1539 ($150)
                            Psych Test: 11/3@0800|Psych Interview: 11/9@0900 (Dr.McKenzie)
                            LiveScan: 11/9 (UPS Store $93+$25)|Livescan cleared: CA/FBI 11/9, Firearms 11/20
                            LiveScan Email: 11/17@0842
                            Training Email: 11/29@1007|Instructor: 1/10/2024 SaberTactics ($399+40)|Docs: 1/12
                            Approval: 1/17@1346 ($264+$7.96)|Pickup: 1/19@1030

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              tpfishnfool
                              Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 291

                              All steel go with CZ. Plastic go with CZ.....

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                hedemark20
                                Member
                                • Sep 2012
                                • 182

                                Originally posted by scootle
                                Depends if the OP cares about DA/SA or not, so if he considers a Sig hammer-fired offering, it would probably have to be the DAK configuration... is that on our CA roster? I guess the P320 (striker/DAO) was mentioned, but definitely not on our lovely roster, right?

                                If you go down that rabbit hole, any HK with a LEM trigger would also be worth considering. Heck, they're not small or compact, but considering a HK VP9 or Walther PPQ via PPT might not be too bad a choice either...
                                There is one lonely DAK model on the roster. It happens to be a P239, two-tone, chambered in .40 S&W. That model is discontinued, but there are a couple that can be found around the country. Of course, I'm sure there are some DAKs around here & there that came in via SSE last year that could be had PPT. DA/SA is an excellent manual of arms, particularly for carry. Far superior to striker-fired, IMO
                                Citius - Altius - Fortius

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1