Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recommend a 9mm Compact

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Chewy65
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2013
    • 5090

    Recommend a 9mm Compact

    I have begun shopping for my first (in recent history) semi-automatic and would appreciate some recommendations. Here is a list of my criteria.

    Calibre: 9mm

    Size: Compact

    Budget: About $1,000, less is best

    Purpose: Home defense, monthly range practice, very rarely for CCW (application pending)

    Experience: None in last 40 years other than just spending an hour with a Glock 19. I liked it but have to compare to what is available. Heavy experience with Skeet and Trap. Shot a 1911 in the service for qualification, only, and rarely carried the 1911.

    Other: I am curious about 1911's and also if I should go with a single stack for concealability. This is for me, but I would like my wife to be able to use it if I settle on gun we can both enjoy. She has very small hands but could shoot and rack the Glock 19. My hands aren't that large and the G19 seemed to fit pretty well. I want to see if others fit even better. I have been tempted to test the present Mance injunction, but am going to limit this to the Roster.
    Last edited by Chewy65; 03-08-2015, 7:02 PM.
  • #2
    SLO1911Fan
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 1483

    CZ P-01
    CZ 75 Compact
    CZ 75 PCR
    S&W Shield
    I'm a big old, bourbon-soaked cigar-huffing ***, as God in his infinite wisdom meant me to be. - Charlie Sheen.

    Comment

    • #3
      EspoMan
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 1618

      I carry a Shield for CCW and love it.
      Living in the free State of Nevada

      Comment

      • #4
        tbc
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2011
        • 5955

        CZ's are GTG.
        More options:
        HK P2000
        HK USPc




        Sent from my VP9

        Comment

        • #5
          MyOdessa
          Ban Islam
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Mar 2011
          • 2561

          CZ 75 Compact or CZ 75 PCR

          Small enough for occasional CCW, but more ergonomic for range/HD, then S&W Shield.

          Comment

          • #6
            JBoutfishn
            Member
            • Feb 2014
            • 135

            Take a hard look at the M&P 9MM C. Slightly larger than the Shield, ergonomically superior, comes with three different size grips.

            I carry both a compact (40S&W) or a shield (9MM), depending on which way the wind is blowing, but for range use the compact is a better bet. The compact in 9MM or 40S&W is physically the same size.
            Last edited by JBoutfishn; 03-08-2015, 7:53 PM.
            Jim

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              NiteQwill
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2007
              • 6368

              CZ PCR or 75 Compact

              Otherwise, Glock 19.

              The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.

              Comment

              • #8
                SkyHawk
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Sep 2012
                • 23531

                Check out the Sig P239
                Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                Comment

                • #9
                  Deimos887
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 1673

                  Springfield Armory XD9 Service or SC, used SIG P229 or P239 (single stack compact), Glock 19 or 26, CA compliant S&W Shield, possibly used S&W M&P9c (though not sure if they'll fall in your price range, post SSE as they fell off roster last year... might get lucky), used Ruger SR9/SR9c (same situ as the MP9c) used Commander sized 1911 in 9mm..

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Dokbrick
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 533

                    Glock 19 hands down or P229R (non-CA bull**** version).
                    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                    -Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Quiet
                      retired Goon
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 30242

                      Glock 19
                      H&K P-2000
                      SIG P-229
                      SIG P-239
                      sigpic

                      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        steelheadmike
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 691

                        G19, or a 26 with some mag extensions.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          skilletboy
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 2669

                          I know it's rate here, but I'm liking my m&p shield a little less than I hoped. Still a very good gun, but not my fav. But I'm a Glock shooter, I shoot g26/27s about the same as my full size.

                          If you could get one for less than 1k, hk compact is smooth as ****. Great .40 shooter, I know you want 9mm, but just saying.
                          "If the American people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the law then they will conclude that neither are they." - Michael Cannon, Cato Inst. 2014
                          _________________________________________

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pluke the 2
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2012
                            • 1926

                            sig p239 is really really really good. on roster, all metal, and its a sig. its small but shoots pretty similar to my full size handguns. i will definitely be adding it to my ccw list.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              volosong
                              Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • 155

                              Originally posted by steelheadmike
                              G19, or a 26 with some mag extensions.
                              My recommendation also. As a distant second choice, a S&W M&P 9 Shield.

                              (disclaimer: Just within the past two years have I 'graduated' from .22s. I purchased a G19 two years ago and a M&P 9 Shield last year. The Glock is ultra-reliable; the Shield just fits into the hand as if it were custom made for it.)
                              sigpic

                              Deut 6:5
                              ---
                              "Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
                              - Vizzini during his 'battle of wits' with the Man in Black

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1