Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gun modifications and LTC

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jasonaspears
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 1200

    Gun modifications and LTC

    If I add a Crimson Trace laser grip, add a tactical light to my rail, or run a slightly lighter hammer spring on my guns will this make them unacceptable to use in concealed carrying?
  • #2
    Librarian
    Admin and Poltergeist
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 44690

    Depends on the agency.

    No support for restricting those features in the Penal Code.
    ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

    Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

    Comment

    • #3
      David2531
      Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 151

      Just remember certain mods can come to bite you in the butt in a civil suit.

      Comment

      • #4
        medicdude
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 1034

        Originally posted by David2531
        Just remember certain mods can come to bite you in the butt in a civil suit.
        this.
        leave it alone and practice with it, you wont need that extra stuff.

        Comment

        • #5
          Andy Taylor
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 1367

          Some issueing agencies restrict such mods, some do not. Technically it is not legal for them to restrict them, but there are bigger fish to fry at the moment. Assuming you are in Sacto, the SSD does not have those restrictions. Yes, mods could be used against you in a civil or criminal trial should you ever have to use the weapon. I think that is probably unlikely, but possible. YMMV. IANAL.

          Comment

          • #6
            Librarian
            Admin and Poltergeist
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2005
            • 44690

            Originally posted by David2531
            Just remember certain mods can come to bite you in the butt in a civil suit.
            One sees this fear expressed fairly often. Is there a collection of such occasions someplace, cases of self-defense where some aspect of the defensive weapon is called into question?

            Certainly it's possible, the old 'indict a ham sandwich' chestnut comes to mind.

            But does it actually happen? How often? What aspect is criticized? What was the result of the suit?

            Fiddletown is a lawyer and a member here, as well as other places; this thread at The High Road from April talks about the issue a little bit.
            Last edited by Librarian; 10-18-2011, 8:05 PM.
            ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

            Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

            Comment

            • #7
              Shenaniguns
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2006
              • 6158

              My trigger work on my M&P's are also approved for multiple police agencies. Even if they were not I would not worry about my ~5.5 pound trigger being a problem whether it is stock or not.
              My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

              Comment

              • #8
                BunnySlayer
                Senior Member
                • May 2009
                • 992

                Riverside states no lasers and that guns cannot be modified. It does not state however what a modification entails. I have simply left my guns completely factory stock, even grips. Who knows what a gun ignorant jury could be talked into by a slick lawyer. I know of no case law regading this but just to be safe, I change nothing but magazines. Besides. Who really wants to lose a $2,000.00 1911 after shooting a .02 cent dirtbag.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  puropuro
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 650

                  For me, just to be sure, I got a model that has CT laser sites as part of the OEM stock model, even though my IA doesn't restrict. Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    akoba
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 1147

                    Originally posted by puropuro
                    For me, just to be sure, I got a model that has CT laser sites as part of the OEM stock model, even though my IA doesn't restrict. Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

                    Same thing for me. That's why i bought my S&W 1911PD with CT laser model. If they question me about the laser sight (legal or not). I will just tell them the model of the gun. And that it was a factory stock model.
                    01010100 01101000 01100001 01101110 01101011 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000
                    01000011 01100001 01101100 01100111 01110101 01101110 01110011 00101110 01101110 01100101 01110100

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      wash
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2007
                      • 9011

                      You are not going to lose your gun over replacement grips.

                      You might lose your LTC but not your property.

                      You shouldn't have enhanced liability unless the incident was not a good shoot.

                      If it's a good shoot, what is the difference between iron sights and laser grips?

                      If it's a good shoot, what is the difference between a gritty 12 lb trigger and a crisp 4 lb break?

                      Just don't use a gun that has real issues like doubling or a "fake supressor" that actually does reduce noise a bit.

                      I think legally owned NFA weapons should be fine in a good shoot too.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by oaklander
                      Dear Kevin,

                      You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
                      Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1