Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Police Computer System

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GuyFawkes
    Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 364

    Police Computer System

    When a police officer looks up your license plate (vehicle registered to you) or looks up your CDL on their computer system or by calling it in to dispatch, does it show that you have a CA LTC?

    Many have said that since CA does not have a law requiring an LTC holder declare they are carrying (except some counties like OC that require it in their LTC terms) then one shouldn't or doesn't have to declare it unless asked.

    However, if the officer sees that you have a LTC on their system or through dispatch then it would look really bad if you don't declare it and could put you in a dangerous situation.

    I'm sure this has been discussed before but I just can't find it in the forums when I search.
  • #2
    GovGeek
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2014
    • 415

    I'm curious too. Though I plan to always declare.

    Sent from my pocket computer via Tapatalk
    Front Sight Member: Diamond-> Commander
    Where ever you go, there you are!
    https://rv-therapy.com/blog

    Comment

    • #3
      tanks
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2014
      • 4038

      Originally posted by GuyFawkes
      ...
      However, if the officer sees that you have a LTC on their system or through dispatch then it would look really bad if you don't declare it and could put you in a dangerous situation.

      I'm sure this has been discussed before but I just can't find it in the forums when I search.
      Well, I doubt it could put you in a dangerous situation. The fact that one has a CCW does not mean they are armed at that moment, if anything it show one is one of the good guys.
      "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
      "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

      Comment

      • #4
      • #5
        baggss
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2013
        • 3439

        I think it depends on where you are. If you are pulled over by your IA department, then I suspect their database would have that info. If you are pulled over by another agency within your IAs jurisdiction, then it's possible depending on how the IA shares info internal to the county (VC departments all hit the Sheriffs database as I understand it). Outside of your IA jurisdiction seems to be where things get muddy. My plastic CCW license has a number on the back with a note next to it that says "For Law enforcement Verification Only" so other departments can call the VCSD and verify my CCWs validity.

        If there is a CA law that says that you must declare your CCW status when official contact is made, I'd like to see the PC for it. Some IAs do require it though, regardless of location within the state.

        NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

        Comment

        • #6
          RickD427
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2007
          • 9277

          Guy,

          Why have you started two different thread on this same question less than an hour apart from each other?

          Please refer to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1185844

          Your best answer is in the other thread at post #3
          If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

          Comment

          • #7
            GuyFawkes
            Member
            • Dec 2012
            • 364

            Originally posted by RickD427
            Guy,

            Why have you started two different thread on this same question less than an hour apart from each other?

            Please refer to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1185844

            Your best answer is in the other thread at post #3
            I posted the thread in CCW section first and then I realized that there was actually a LEO section which this question is really geared towards. I was going to delete the first thread but there were already replies to it.

            If it's important to do so and there's a way to do it then you can combine them.

            Comment

            • #8
              NiteQwill
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2007
              • 6368

              Yes, if the police officer queries AFS, your CCW will appear.

              The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.

              Comment

              • #9
                keenkeen
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2011
                • 6782

                Originally posted by GovGeek
                I'm curious too. Though I plan to always declare.

                Sent from my pocket computer via Tapatalk
                Yes, right after your verbal confession it appears.

                "But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little and who talk too much." -John Dryden

                Comment

                • #10
                  jlbflyboy172
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • 625

                  My local PD has it shown on Page 2 of the file on the computer (I've seen it).

                  My thinking is that I would rather declare and have the officer hear it from me rather than some rookie dispatcher say something like "caution, the occupant may be armed". I would like for them to hear it on my terms and not leave it to chance.

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    Calico1404
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2016
                    • 3401

                    Always Always Always hand the officer your CCW card with your license and keep your hands clear.

                    Think about the benefits as well, LEO knows you have passed background, interviews and residence checks, he knows you are not a risk or violent offender the moment he receives your CCW card. I say be proud and responsible with your license, and fourth coming with Law Enforcement.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1