Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Philippine Typhoon

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    shovelon
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 1852

    Originally posted by wc12
    Thanks a lot. I didn't know how much the American red cross takes away from donation, I've always donated to the red cross in times like this. But if you have better way of helping out, please do so and post them here.
    Don't know if they do or not. A friend living there suggested the Philippine Red Cross as they are on the front lines so to speak. Can't say how long it takes the American Red Cross to transfer the funds, or what strings are attached.

    Apparently food, water, and medicine are almost nonexistent in the affected areas. US Marines are distributing what they can but that is far and few between. As far as we know money talks, and the Philippine Red Cross can requisition whatever they need at a moment's notice if they have the cash on hand. And they need it now.

    But as far as donations are concerned, whatever or wherever feels right.
    Alfred E. Neuman 2024

    "The Hillary Clinton school of failure."

    Comment

    • #17
      jonc
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2009
      • 6406

      I got fam in PINAS!! Luckily they all ok !
      Didn't hit to hard in Manila!!!

      Prayers sent to PINAS!!
      And to all the family that lost someone!!

      Comment

      • #18
        Barney Fife
        CGSSA Associate
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2008
        • 4424

        Children's Hunger Fund is one of the best at getting the highest percentage of their donations into peoples hands.

        "Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth; Socialism is the equal distribution of poverty ... Communism is socialism with a gun at your back." - Sir Winston Churchill

        Comment

        • #19
          ritter
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 805

          Originally posted by AWPER
          I suggest sending goods instead of cash. Cash might just end up politicians pocket.


          http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/focus/11/...barrel-scandal
          There are no resources to get the donated goods to where they are needed in an international event like this. Cash is king in these situations as the responders can source required items closer to the disaster--it's much more efficient, even if it doesn't seem like it.

          http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/ is a good organization and quite efficient at 86% going directly to programs (internationals are less efficient than local orgs).

          Comment

          • #20
            mabilis_matulis
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2012
            • 5121

            Thanks for this thread.. They really need it.
            sigpic
            "its hard to face the problem if the problem is your face"

            Comment

            • #21
              ritter
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 805

              Here's an excellent list of charities with a link to the donation page and brief description of their focus. I hope this helps someone determine where to send some money, even if it's only a few bucks.

              Comment

              • #22
                GoodahSP
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2013
                • 535

                Originally posted by ritter
                Here's an excellent list of charities with a link to the donation page and brief description of their focus. I hope this helps someone determine where to send some money, even if it's only a few bucks.
                http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/09/world/...yan/index.html
                Thanks. Lots of good info there.
                Kinda sucks when you want to donate or help in some way, but in the back of your mind you feel some bastard is just going to steal or pocket the help and it never gets to where it needs to go.
                My prayers to everyone there and us here who have family affected.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Barang
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Aug 2013
                  • 13404

                  Another good organization to donate to is cbn.com or call 1800 823 6053. They're a member of ECFA and they have people on the ground going to
                  devastated places to distribute food and other neccesities. Also, medical team.
                  Last edited by Barang; 11-12-2013, 10:43 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Burnz66
                    Member
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 169

                    All our prayers goes out to all of them...from what I hear there's another typhoon heading towards the same location.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      wc12
                      Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 273

                      Originally posted by ritter
                      Here's an excellent list of charities with a link to the donation page and brief description of their focus. I hope this helps someone determine where to send some money, even if it's only a few bucks.
                      http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/09/world/...yan/index.html
                      Thank you for this link. Took me a while to find an agency to donate so I went with the American Red Cross. Your link will at least help some of us in picking a relief agency.

                      Post these links to your FB accounts if you have one.
                      Damn democrats are turning me into a republican.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        koehn,jim
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 643

                        I will not donate to ARC but I donate thru Doctors Without Borders instead or faith based services.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Swampcrip
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 1093

                          I'm heading out to deliver monolithic filtration systems. If you are interested in helping please send me a pm.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Gemini Effect
                            Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • 341

                            Originally posted by shovelon
                            Yes. Please donate direct to the Philippines Red Cross bypassing all the middlemen.

                            I just donated via thier website using PayPal, which was very easy. PayPal does the currency conversion. I gave 4000 Philippine pesos, which is about $100.
                            I was wondering about this as far as how much money will actually get to the victims as opposed to admin fees. I read that the Red Cross is pretty inefficient at this and they take quite a bit of every dollar.

                            Is the Philippine Red Cross pretty-much pass through of money or is there still an admin cost?

                            (P.S. I'm half filipino so I really do wanna help send cash, food and a whole bunch of good quality clothes i no longer wear).
                            My YouTube Project: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueonGoldZ/videos

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              UberPatriot
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 2069

                              Location: Olympic Peninsula Washington

                              NRA Member

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                odslim
                                Member
                                • Feb 2012
                                • 283

                                Thanks for this Thread! Iv been trying to read up on reviews on organizations that will actually donate most of the money. Im ok with an organization that will take a little out of the donation to cover for their work and actually be upfront with how much will actually be donated, I believe UNICEF display a chart on how much is actually being donated which I believe is 86% of the donation. But Im not ok with organizations that will take more than half of the donation i.e Red cross usa....I haven't donated just yet as Im waiting for family member to get back to me in the Philippines that were not heavily devastated by the storm according to them.

                                Again, thank you calguns and members on this threads that have posted and shared links to get help to the home land...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1