Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

HSC Shortage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beemaze
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1981

    HSC Shortage?

    I went to Turner's in Pasadena today to renew my HSC. The past 10 years at least I have been going there to make several purchases and keep my HSC current.

    This time around I was declined even to start the renewal process unless I was buying a handgun TODAY. Anyways, I explained that I have spent tens of thousands at Turner's in general and asked why should it matter when I decide to buy? My comment and question fell on deaf ears. Disappointed, I left and went elsewhere.

    The 2nd Amendment - The Original Homeland Security


    WTB Colt Woodsman's, WWI/II 1911's, Walthers: P4 or P38 / IV (German or French), PP Super .380, PPK (German or French), TP, TPH (German only), S&W 547 9mm, Any DA .22 Magnum revolver. Colt .22 Diamondbacks, Courier, Banker's Spl.

    sigpic
    FREE NRA FREEDOM ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP - CLICK BELOW
    https://www.nrahq.org/FreedomAssoc/default.asp
  • #2
    gschoelles
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 669

    DOJ just gets real back logged and doesn't ship real fast. Turners Management, probably didn't foresee the need and place the order in-time.

    Probably a member near you that can help out. Else if your ever out my way, I have some.
    CRPA and NRA Life member
    GLOCK Armorer, Remington 870 Armorer, Mossberg 5xx Armorer, 1911 Armorer, M16/AR15 Armorer, Tactical First Aid Primary Responder
    NRA Range Safety Officer, Certified Pistol, Shotgun and Rifle Instructor

    Comment

    • #3
      ifilef
      Banned
      • Apr 2008
      • 5665

      Originally posted by beemaze
      I went to Turner's in Pasadena today to renew my HSC. The past 10 years at least I have been going there to make several purchases and keep my HSC current.

      This time around I was declined even to start the renewal process unless I was buying a handgun TODAY. Anyways, I explained that I have spent tens of thousands at Turner's in general and asked why should it matter when I decide to buy? My comment and question fell on deaf ears. Disappointed, I left and went elsewhere.
      I don't know if they are mandated to administer the test to you or not. I would doubt if they could make it conditional upon purchase of a firearm.

      What happened to you would certainly p**s ME off!!!

      I am reasonably certain that any FFL can not refuse to perform a requested PPT. I believe they are mandated to do so then and there and that it is a CRIME to refuse to perform a PPT.

      Don't know and not going to take the time to research whether the same applies to a request to obtain a HSC.

      I have very mixed feelings about dealing with Turner's in light of a recent dealing with an employee in San Marcos. Rude.

      However, I have shopped Turner's for years due to their weekly sale listings.

      COMPLAIN to their headquarters. See what they tell you.

      Comment

      • #4
        ifilef
        Banned
        • Apr 2008
        • 5665

        Originally posted by gschoelles
        DOJ just gets real back logged and doesn't ship real fast. Turners Management, probably didn't foresee the need and place the order in-time.

        Probably a member near you that can help out. Else if your ever out my way, I have some.
        Not quite sure that I understand your post in relation to the OP.

        Comment

        • #5
          TylerDurden
          Junior Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 73

          PPT's are required to perform by law, HSC tests and issuance of cards is not. It sounds like #1: They are low on cards as there has been a shortage and they want to make sure that people that are purchasing HGs can complete the transaction or #2: you were there right before closing time as some stores won't administer the test one hour prior to closing because you could keep them late. I've heard that Gretta's won't administer the test unless you are making a purchase so this practice is not uncommon. Did you talk to a black shirt? I doubt they are out to get you, get over it!

          Comment

          • #6
            ifilef
            Banned
            • Apr 2008
            • 5665

            Tyler post

            I didn't like your post much, Tyler. Seems there's a lot of speculation thrown in there- moreover, you don't seem to place yourself in the position of the OP very well. What's this 'get over it' BS? Do you think that is the way customers should be treated or OP's post (if true) should be denigrated? AAaaaarrrggghhhh...!
            Last edited by ifilef; 02-23-2014, 7:58 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              beemaze
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 1981

              Lots of speculation going on here from Tyler in particular. Basically I already stated why I was refused a new HSC. And yes, the black shirt manager was there right next to the red shirt when this whole conversation took place.

              And yes, I am over it. Poor customer service and the "I don't care" attitude from Turner's has led me to spend my $$ and valuable time elsewhere.

              The 2nd Amendment - The Original Homeland Security


              WTB Colt Woodsman's, WWI/II 1911's, Walthers: P4 or P38 / IV (German or French), PP Super .380, PPK (German or French), TP, TPH (German only), S&W 547 9mm, Any DA .22 Magnum revolver. Colt .22 Diamondbacks, Courier, Banker's Spl.

              sigpic
              FREE NRA FREEDOM ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP - CLICK BELOW
              https://www.nrahq.org/FreedomAssoc/default.asp

              Comment

              • #8
                ke6guj
                Moderator
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Nov 2003
                • 23725

                I don't see any issue with Tyler's post.

                the bottom line is that the FFL makes $10 for each HSC he issues. should he be happy to sell all his HSC for a $10 profit and then run out if CADOJ is slow to issue them new ones? Now, when the next customer is there to pull the trigger on a $1000+ handgun where there could be more than $200 in potential profits, the FFL finds himself out of HSCs and has to see if the customer will be willing to go to a competitor to get an HSC and then come back to the first FFL.

                Now, do you think that the second FFL might try to keep that customer in his store to sell him that gun, and the first FFL never sees the customer again since he ran out of HSC's so that he could make a $10 profit?


                And no, there is no PC that requires a dealer to issue HSCs on demand, not like PPTs.
                Jack



                Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ifilef
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 5665

                  You are bringing into the discussion a non-issue-a purported shortage of HSC cards.

                  Yeah, well I disagree with you totally. Run out of HSC's. Oh, come on! The State makes money on these, it is a good revenue source. Snce when has purchase of a handgun been a prerequisite to obtaining a HSC? Face it, not only is it bad business practice leading to a loss of goodwill but loss of a pre-existing customer who had already spent thousands there in the past. It's just plain dumb....I would go elsewhere, also...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ke6guj
                    Moderator
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 23725

                    my point is that the FFL never knows when there is going to be a shortage. It has happened multiple times in the past when dealers have ran out of cards and had to wait weeks or months for more cards.

                    I don't think that the state cares about the money that they make off them. it could even be argued that past delivery issues with the HSC cards were possibly done for the state's "interest"

                    I know an FFL right now that sent in money for HSC cards weeks ago and they still haven't sent him any. Right now, he is in the exact situation I described above that he has to send customers to other FFLs hoping that that FFL will let his customer take the test and, more importantly, that the customer returns to him to complete the sale.



                    yes, I understand that it sucks to be the customer that gets denied an HSC card from a store you have been spending money at for years, but them's the breaks sometimes. As for the OP, if you weren't planning on needing that HSC that day, why bother getting a new one and starting the 5-year clock early? If my HSC expired today but I wasn't on buying anything immediately, I would just wait until it was time to purchase and then start the 5-year clock. Why "throw" away days on the card when it isn't needed yet. Unless you were concerned about the FFL not having any HSC cards when you were ready to purchase? Which brings you right back to my scenario. But in the end, since the HSC will basically expire sometime in 2015 for me, and for many others, I guess it really doesn't matter if you get the HSC card before you really needed it.
                    Last edited by ke6guj; 02-23-2014, 10:44 PM.
                    Jack



                    Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                    No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ifilef
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 5665

                      OP was treated like c**p in the process of being denied. Jack, I don't think you understand that. I think he is righteous in his indignation and should complain to Turner's headquarters about it. They should apologize to him and as an accommodation allow him to take the test and obtain his card for $15.00, waiving their fee.
                      Last edited by ifilef; 02-24-2014, 2:40 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ke6guj
                        Moderator
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 23725

                        Originally posted by ifilef
                        OP was treated like c**p in the process of being denied. Jack, I don't think you understand that. I think he is righteous in his indignation and should complain to Turner's headquarters about it. They should apologize to him and as an accommodation allow him to take the test and obtain his card for $15.00, waiving their fee.
                        I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I didn't see any specific mention that they treated him like crap, just that they weren't willing to issue him a card if he didn't need one at that time.
                        Jack



                        Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                        No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ifilef
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 5665

                          Originally posted by beemaze
                          I went to Turner's in Pasadena today to renew my HSC. The past 10 years at least I have been going there to make several purchases and keep my HSC current.

                          This time around I was declined even to start the renewal process unless I was buying a handgun TODAY. Anyways, I explained that I have spent tens of thousands at Turner's in general and asked why should it matter when I decide to buy? My comment and question fell on deaf ears. Disappointed, I left and went elsewhere.
                          In reading OP, if you don't think OP was treated poorly then we definitely agree to disagree.

                          I am through with this thread.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ojisan
                            Agent 86
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 11781

                            Given the brisk sales of Ruger semi-autos before they fall off the Roster, especially with Turner's putting them on sale, I can understand that they are running low on HSCs.
                            Turner's seems to be just about sold out of all Ruger handguns....Smiths too.
                            I was in Turner's the other day and overheard a phone call where someone was asking to do just the HSC, they got the same answer Beemaze did.
                            It is not a good situation that's for sure.

                            I'm sure CA DOJ is surprised and was unprepared with sufficient inventory of forms for how many handguns are selling now, too....meaning they are the choke-point in getting more HSC cards / tests.
                            I'm sure that Turner's does not want to be in this position.

                            Ammo shortage, handgun shortage, DOJ forms shortage...it's no fun for anyone.

                            Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                            I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ke6guj
                              Moderator
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 23725

                              Originally posted by ifilef
                              In reading OP, if you don't think OP was treated poorly then we definitely agree to disagree.

                              I am through with this thread.
                              just because they declined to issue him an HSC doesn't mean that he was treated like crap. Just because they say NO doesn't mean that they were being rude to him or anything.

                              As ojisan mentioned, that is apparently their current policy and it makes sense. I didn't even think about the current rush of buyers that could easily be creating an HSC shortage.
                              Jack



                              Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                              No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1