Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rapid Fire Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SBOldMan
    Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 106

    Rapid Fire Question

    For those of you who are familiar with shooting at actual organized ranges- Is rapid firing generally frowned upon at ranges you have been to?

    I ask this because I recently went to a local range and at one point just rapid fired about 6 shots out of my AK. The range master came over and told me to watch it on the rapid firing. I had just finished working on the rifle and wanted to make sure my jamming issues were all taken care of, or I usually dont waste money like that...but it seemed kinda strange. He mentioned something about firing more than x rounds per x seconds or something.

    Is this typical of most ranges?
  • #2
    nick
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Aug 2008
    • 19152

    Yep, most ranges have these rules. It's usually 1 round per second, but some make it 1 round ever 2 seconds. I still don't know what the retionale behind it is.
    DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

    DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      AEC1
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2008
      • 1659

      Yep, every range I have been to,

      BLM , a folding table, tape measure, and a target stand...
      Land of the Free BECAUSE of the brave.


      Originally posted by HondaMasterTech
      So far, I've had six beers, four redbulls, eight twinkies and I'm REALLY afraid to fart!

      Comment

      • #4
        Vacaville
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 4360

        The two indoor ranges I regularly use don't allow rapid fire. One has a sign saying double-taps are OK, but if you do them you still might get kicked out depending on who is at the counter.

        Comment

        • #5
          SBOldMan
          Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 106

          Thanks for the replies... +1 on the BLM land.

          Comment

          • #6
            NRAhighpowershooter
            Super Moderator
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jun 2003
            • 6485

            Main reason why most ranges won't allow rapid fire is that 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the shooters can't control their weapons and the ranges don't want the target holders shot up...
            'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

            Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

            Comment

            • #7
              Vtec44
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2009
              • 2237

              Lytle Creek allows rapid firing

              Oh, another +1 on BLM land.
              "When chosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before." - Mae West

              Comment

              • #8
                SBOldMan
                Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 106

                I can totally see this as a valid reason... Broken holders = money!

                Thanks.

                Originally posted by NRAhighpowershooter
                Main reason why most ranges won't allow rapid fire is that 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the shooters can't control their weapons and the ranges don't want the target holders shot up...

                Comment

                • #9
                  gunsmithcats
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 1382

                  Every range ive been to has this restriction, specially the indoors one. i don't blame them either. Lotta shooters can't control worth ****
                  For Sale!!
                  Glock 44 .22lr

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Greg-Dawg
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 7793

                    Originally posted by SBOldMan
                    ...but it seemed kinda strange. He mentioned something about firing more than x rounds per x seconds or something.

                    Is this typical of most ranges?
                    Did you read their range rules?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SBOldMan
                      Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 106

                      Didn't see anything posted, not that I would have read the fine print. It is an outdoor range, wasn't really a big deal. Just wasn't aware of this as a standard practice.

                      I usually shoot up in the mountains in an unregulated area. I have been favoring going to a regulated range because I like my kids to see how things should really be done and not be around some of the less than sportsman like people you run into out in the wild.

                      Thanks.


                      Did you read their range rules?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Voo
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 1702

                        Go to indoor ranges, look up at the ceiling...
                        Go to outdoor ranges.. what's behind\beyond those mountains??

                        Sometimes the rules are reasonable, sometimes they're not. Im not a particular fan of 1 shot per second- no rapid firing, but I do understand why it's enforced in some locations.

                        Admittedly, if they know you personally and what you're capable of, you might get away with shooting faster than what is normally allowed. This is how my range was before the manager retired. He strictly forbid anyone from rapid firing. Only on his days off would the remaining employees give me permission to "go ahead and blast'em".

                        Fortunately, the rule came down when the new manager took over.
                        Aloha snackbar!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          pinwheels
                          Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 313

                          Originally posted by Voo
                          Admittedly, if they know you personally and what you're capable of, you might get away with shooting faster than what is normally allowed.
                          +1 For fostering relationships, and also picking the right time to go. After training and demonstrating some level of proficiency, and if I go in during slack times, I can present from a holster and rapid fire since they know me. Wouldn't do it when all or most lanes were full though. The other option is to find places that have IPSC-type practice sessions scheduled (e.g., Richmond R&G Club/Richmond Hot Shots - Saturday AMs). Not just allowed, encouraged, again once you've shown proficiency (they run a 2-3 hour course).

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Turo
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2009
                            • 5066

                            The only range I've ever been to, an outdoor one, had the 1 shot per second rule. But I'm used to shooting in ditchbanks and the like, so I didn't really like it too much. lol my dad was messing around and loaded up two 1911 .45's and let 'em rip, one in each hand. Best thing ever, but of course he made sure to do it when the RO wasn't looking

                            In my mind, the country > range.
                            "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
                            -Thomas Jefferson

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Gijoe
                              Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 126

                              +1 BLM

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1