Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Handgun Laws for 18, 19, 20

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Librarian
    Admin and Poltergeist
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 44691

    Handgun Laws for 18, 19, 20

    The DOJ keeps messing this up this week...

    FEDERAL law says an FFL may not transfer a HANDGUN to someone under 21.

    California law adds persons and corporations to that restriction.

    So, the only way that works in California is intrafamilial transfer. See
    Transferring Firearms Among Some Family Members for the detail, but according to California law
    * PC 12026 is clear that 18, 19, 20 may own, possess, keep and use handguns;

    * someone over 18 may receive a handgun as a gift from a parent or grandparent IF s/he has an HSC -- PC 12078(c)(2);

    AND
    * the requirement for an HSC is to be at least 18 and be able to prove it.
    So, please feel confident filing the intrafamilial transfer forms, and be polite but firm with DOJ and FFLs who are confused about what you want to do.
    ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

    Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
  • #2
    luckystrike
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 4176

    ive called those jokers at DOJ about that subject 4 different times and have gotten 4 different answers..........

    Comment

    • #3
      andrewj
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 2589

      The DOJ must have some new bonehead employees... or are they all just boneheads
      Dear California,
      I love you. I was born and raised in you. You have given me some of the best times of my life. Now with that said, I can not wait to move!
      Your prisoner,
      Andrew J.

      Comment

      • #4
        510shooter510
        Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 378

        What if a person is not yet 21 and they have a LEO card? meaning they are working with sheriffs department.

        Comment

        • #5
          Librarian
          Admin and Poltergeist
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 44691

          Originally posted by 510shooter510
          What if a person is not yet 21 and they have a LEO card? meaning they are working with sheriffs department.
          Both federal and state laws prohibit an FFL from transferring a handgun to under-21, and state laws prohibit other businesses and individuals from doing so. A 'LEO card', whatever that might be, will have no effect on the ability to purchase a handgun.

          If one is sworn LEO at under 21, I suspect the agency could issue a duty weapon, but I haven't heard of that.
          ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

          Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

          Comment

          • #6
            510shooter510
            Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 378

            Thanks man. A friend of mine swears he can buy with his leo card at 20 years old, but i didnt believe him.

            Comment

            • #7
              leitung
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • 2897

              I have talked to FFLs about that very subject of sworn LEOs under 21 (I know a couple) and they all have told me that they can't sell a handgun to them either, nor can they sell them ammo either.
              The whole 21 thing is stupid anyway, but to deny a SWORN LEO under 21 from buying a handgun.. I mean come on.. I sworn peace officer still needs to have daddy buy him a handgun as a gift...?

              One of these days, we will end age discrimination in this country...
              Former "Subject" of the People's Republic of California in "exile" in Washington State.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1