Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Finally found the one I want

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • katokat
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 39

    Finally found the one I want

    I've been actively shooting with my husband for a year and a half now - not too much, range a couple times a month and steel matches when I can. I've been using his S&W 9mm semi and S&W .40 semi Performance Center. LOVE the .40, but it's a bit big. The 9mm fits my hand well, but it's double- single- and a pain to deal with in the matches. So I tried out a S&W 952 Performance Center today at the range - and that's the one! Smooth as the .40 but fits much better. Now I've got him looking around for a gently used or new one (he loves the chase and I don't have time) before our 4-day class at Front Sights in late Oct. He's got a post up in the WTB forum and on the S&W forums.

    I just wish it wasn't so darned expensive. But definitely will be worth it.
  • #2
    69Mach1
    Super Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2006
    • 15032

    Performance guns are nice. A 952 is hot. Sorry you had to fall for one.
    sigpic
    69Mach1
    munkeeboi
    TURBOELKY
    antix2
    WTSGDYBBR
    tujungatoes
    jmpgnr24K

    Comment

    • #3
      midvalleyshooter
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2005
      • 1561

      Hey katokat,

      Those S&W 952's are very nice shooters. One other pistol to consider is a 1911 in 9MM. The 1911 has some advantages over the 952. Parts availability, gunsmith's who know their way around the pistol and the safety is easier to operate. With different grips and main spring housing the pistol can be fit to a specific hand easier. Here is a deal on a used one:


      For the difference in cost you can buy a lot of ammo or reloading components.

      Keith

      Comment

      • #4
        katokat
        Junior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 39

        Keith - I did try one, similar to my husband's 945 but in 9mm. It was pretty nice, but I just didn't like the feel of the grip in my hands. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

        Comment

        • #5
          midvalleyshooter
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2005
          • 1561

          Well trying them out is the way to go. But I think in the long run something like this would be a better choice than the 952:



          But you do what you want to
          Keith

          Comment

          • #6
            Steyrlp10
            C3 Leader
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Nov 2008
            • 5341

            Speaking of the 1911 frame, have you ever tried a Colt .38 Super?

            I was sighting in mine after the sear was repaired along with my .45s, and my husband shot the .38 for fun. He was surprised at how smooth it was as far as recoil, but with the same grips as a .45 since it's a 1911.
            sigpic

            If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12


            NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

            Comment

            • #7
              midvalleyshooter
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 1561

              Here is a nice article on 9mm 1911's:



              Keith

              Comment

              • #8
                midvalleyshooter
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2005
                • 1561

                And one more



                K

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bigballaizm
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 3109

                  Nice choice, good luck on your search!
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1