Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Women and CCW
Collapse
X
-
Art, you know what I carry (and it's not a semi). In a high-stress situation, I personally do not wish to add to the stress with the complications a semi might bring to the table. Nor do I wish to worry about being parted with my gun via a purse or backpack. There are viable options out there, ladies.I am seeing a lot more women both in my shop and at the local gun shows, Ontario, Del Mar, Orange County that have gotten their CCW, or are actually in the process (post interview). Have also had a number for phone calls asking about the process.
Calls to the store and visits to the store are more likely to be single women pursuing a permit, gun shows seem to be more couples.
I get couples, but most inquires seem to be single women, more often than not over 40.
So I am wondering if that is the experience of the ladies here with friends who are getting CCW's or you yourself have a CCW.
What have been your biggest hurdles in the process, equipment, training.
Of course, it's a highly personal decision, but I'm wondering how many times the thought process is "Hey, this is what the guy behind the counter pushes, this is what my friend bought, this is in vogue right now, this is what they're selling most of right now, this semi looks cooler than that revolver..." You get it.
I've taken my share of classes, including an all day course or two. What works for me might not work for you. My recommendation is explore all options, talk to others, rent a variety of tools, have an open mind, dwell on it and then decide.
Getting back to the question about hurdles, the biggest was finding equipment that worked for me as far as on-body carry. It took time, but was worth exploring.Last edited by KR_H; 09-19-2016, 12:09 PM.~ If you can't invest in gold, invest in lead and brassComment
-
KR H, fully understand. Your right it takes trying, testing. It's one of the reasons Deb and I carry so many items in store for women to try out, try on, and why when we do seminars for women we bring a lot of different systems and encourage them to try them.
My feeling is that whatever someone selects, they need to train, and that includes dry fire from a number of positions, sitting, standing, in the car, in a parking garage, in an office, and if at all possible against the clock.Comment
-
I have both the P238 & P938 and love the size & concealabilty, however, I agree with the comment that the safety lever is too small. It's much easier to press it down, but nearly impossible for me to put it back on one handed. Pulled it out to check. It hits just below the knuckle. Actually, I currently can't put it back on with one hand.I'm just some old white guy, stumbled upon this thread, but in my not-so-humble opinion, a Sig P238 is just made for IWB carry for people who don't wear super wide gang banger clothes. That gun is so easy to conceal, it's unbelievable. It's also one of the best guns out there.
Guess I'll have to practice a lot more, or just switch to my off roster Glock43.Comment
-
this is the where the lever hits on my thumb with the P238
P238 safety.jpg
It's much the same situation with the P938
P938 safety.jpg
I hadnt really considered this until I was out with my brother and he mentioned it. It is safe to carry without using the safety?
I have a shield9, but I cant even budge the safety.Comment
-
Using a 1911-style gun as a CCW is certainly not for everyone. My EDC is a Shield 9 as well (and since I switched from leather to much thinner Kydex concealment is even easier), but perhaps there's a reason why many shooter, experienced ones included, use an Airweight snubnose instead. In case of the Centennial or Bodyguard, there's really not much that can go wrong.Comment
-
I didnt notice an issue with the lever on larger 1911 style handguns.Comment
-
Bro, its a great gun, with one potentially fatal flaw. Take it out and shoot competition IDPA / USPSA with it. Reloading is a pain. The flush fit causes handing issues, and sometimes seating the mag with one in the chamber is problematic. Like all things you can resolve them with practice, but I watched a national level shooter struggle with this the first time running the little P238.I'm just some old white guy, stumbled upon this thread, but in my not-so-humble opinion, a Sig P238 is just made for IWB carry for people who don't wear super wide gang banger clothes. That gun is so easy to conceal, it's unbelievable. It's also one of the best guns out there.
Accuracy out to 15 yards is startlingly good. But with the .380 round and bad guys in groups you have to practice reloads.Comment
-
I'm going to switch out the P238 for a Glock43, since I'm still waiting for final CCW approval. We can only have 3 guns on Sac County permits, so now they'll all be 9mm. Probably better that way.Comment
-
Sure, if you can get a Glock 43 on your permit, that would be as good as it gets. I'd buy one in a heart beat and exchange it for my Shield 9 and my Sig P238 if I could.Comment
-
I recommend shooting one before committing. About half the LEO clients I have that got one (and all carry other Glocks) dumped it after shooting it. Why you have seen as many as you have on the used market. Others swear by it, but the consensus is to shoot it first, it doesn't feel like other Glocks.Comment
-
What Glocks do most women like? I am going to sell my revolver and want a second gun.
I ordered this to see how it works out.
Last edited by VampiressRN; 09-25-2016, 3:51 PM.Comment
-
My God, even the Conservatives are liberal in the messed up StateComment
-
Should work fine as long as your not around children, people with dementia or Alzheimer, otherwise that style presents a safety risk if your attention is diverted for even a short time.
It is important that if you carry your weapon in that particular purse that you
1) never leave it with someone well your not with them (and the purse) for one since it is not a locked container you have in effect turned your gun over to them.
2) that practice your draw with a good amount of dry fire training.
3) That you understand up front that your gun orientation muzzles those around you, and as such you need to practice a safe draw technique.
Once you have decided what side of the purse your going to carry the weapon, you can add mag carriers / speed strip holders to the other side.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,416
Posts: 25,147,635
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,927
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 19680 users online. 128 members and 19552 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment