Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I just want to introduce myself

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    taloft
    Well used Member
    CGN Contributor
    • Sep 2002
    • 2696

    I agree completely with this. The whole idea of the book is to keep people out of jail. Being very conservative is best in the beginning. I wasn't looking to stir up a debate. My question to ChibiPaw was strictly for information purposes. Since I help train new shooters and frequently recommend this book, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't endorsing bad material that might land them in jail. I concur with her assessment that there will come a time when a gun owner should read the Penal code for themselves.

    On the other hand,
    One good example is the book "How to own a gun and stay out of jail". This book is quite notoriously inaccurate, and some materials in this are grossly outdated, and often quite hotly debated.
    I really don't see any glaring inaccuracies. The new version updated and addressed much of the outdated material, and I've never heard anyone debate the merits of this book until now.

    As laws change, so to does the book. Having a current copy is best. Also, there is a huge disclaimer right after the table of contents. I always recommend people read it first. Yes, in the new addition they do address OLL and legal builds but, not to a great degree. This starts on page 156 "Modifying Your Gun" They also address SB23 and how it is possible to run afoul of features issues. I do wish he'd go into more detail but, at least he is giving a nod to it in this version. Perhaps he will expound upon it in the next version. Personally, I think OLL issues are a tad advanced for a new gun owner. All things in good time.

    However, I don't want to side track this thread any further. I'll start another thread reguarding the book.
    .




    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato

    Comment

    • #32
      Boatz
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 28

      Probably the best site for women and guns on the web is Cornered Cat (http://www.corneredcat.com/) - a terrific resource for new and old shooters a like...

      I am also in agreement with the "Big Dogs" assessment, if you like dogs and can keep one... I consider my 2 extra jumbo pups my first line of defense... they discourage anyone with ill intent...
      Last edited by Boatz; 01-04-2009, 5:44 AM. Reason: html coding didn't work

      Comment

      • #33
        movie zombie
        Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jul 2007
        • 14644

        back to Annie's offer: TAKE HER UP ON IT!
        she is really knowledgeable re guns and has a lot of experience!
        what a great way to start out with Annie's help!

        movie zombie

        ps corneredcat.com has a lot of good info and more than worth the read before you meet up with Annie.
        "The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
        Originally posted by The Shootist
        Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D

        Comment

        • #34
          domokun
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • 3525

          Originally posted by movie zombie
          back to Annie's offer: TAKE HER UP ON IT!
          she is really knowledgeable re guns and has a lot of experience!
          what a great way to start out with Annie's help!

          movie zombie

          ps corneredcat.com has a lot of good info and more than worth the read before you meet up with Annie.
          I agree 100% with this.
          "Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom because he might abuse it?" --Harlon Carter
          "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." --Gerald Ford
          "Government is essentially the negation of liberty." --Ludwig von Mises
          "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
          USS Hornet ARC Member.

          sigpic
          Join today?

          Comment

          • #35
            Lilith
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 5

            First I just want to say how grateful I am that I found Calguns and the wonderful people that are here. You have all been so receptive to my plea for help, and I thank you all so much for that.

            I am especially grateful to Jicko for guiding me to the online booklet I downloaded, and Boatz, thank you for cornered cat; it is a simple but intensive website, and I hope I can absorb all that it teaches. I also want to thank Lynda (ChibiPaw) and Movie Zombie for their support, and Annie Oakley for agreeing to meet with me.

            I am looking forward to more interactions with the Calguns community as time permits, but for the time being, thank you everyone for all of your help.
            Last edited by Lilith; 01-05-2009, 11:48 AM.
            "And ye harm none, do what ye will."

            Comment

            • #36
              movie zombie
              Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jul 2007
              • 14644

              you're welcome, Lilith! keep us posted, please.

              movie zombie
              "The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
              Originally posted by The Shootist
              Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D

              Comment

              • #37
                Stormfeather
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2006
                • 7739

                Welcome once again to the community, Im glad the gals ( and guys) here could help you out with some ideas! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us, theres lots of very well informed people here who can find out the answers you need! Welcome To Calguns Lillith!
                Originally posted by Soldier415
                I am naked except for seatless white chaps, a boonie hat and a tactical vest playing HALO.
                Originally posted by oaklander
                I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
                Originally posted by ohsmily
                I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
                Originally posted by hoffmang
                Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
                -Gene

                Comment

                • #38
                  pd5190
                  Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 203

                  I live in Yucaipa and if you still need help or a shooting partner just let me know. You will get a ton of good advice and some not so good advice and it can be difficult to sort out what is best for you.
                  I need a good excuse to go shooting more.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Lilith
                    Junior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 5

                    Hello everyone, I've just returned from North Carolina, and I read some the comments that have been posted while I was gone. You are all so great, and your invitations are very generous. Thank you so much. Before I left, I spoke with Annie Oakley (Jen) and we had a wonderful two hours just talking and getting to know each other. She is so smart, and I was so surprised when she told me she was an Army sergeant. I couldn't believe it until she showed me her ID card, she is just too pretty and petite, she is not what I ever imagined an Army sergeant would look like. Anyway, she brought some of her guns with her and taught me the differences between a revolver and a pistol.

                    I think we make a fine fit, she is very patient with me, and I am willing to learn. Thank you all so much for all of your help.

                    Katie
                    Last edited by Lilith; 01-11-2009, 9:22 PM.
                    "And ye harm none, do what ye will."

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Annie Oakley
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2007
                      • 811

                      Welcome home Katie.
                      sigpic "This we'll defend"- U.S. Army Motto
                      "I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

                      NRA Life Member

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Gamma's Wife
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 13

                        Hi Lilith, I'm sorry to here about your experience. I totaly understand your situation because I am paranoid sometimes if some random person kicked my door and broke in my place when I was alone. That is the one of the reasons that I became interested in having guns.

                        - GW

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          KimoBBZ
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 600

                          practical...

                          Arm yourself with knowledge 1st, couple of good books on the subject:

                          Truth About Self-Protection, this is the one to read when considering self-protection and security - and what some realities are in regards to non-leathal or improvised weapons and firearms. Will help you understand the implications and responsibility of becoming a firearm owner.

                          In the Gravest Extreme, this is one to read when you've solidly commited to arming yourself. Mental state of mind, choosing a weapon, practical use & storage, shooting senarios, and legal aftermath. Really good info.

                          Non-leathal weapons have their place, but IMHO in a home defense situation, they are more of a liability and a firearm. Pepper Spray can prove to be ineffectual and you might end up getting/breathing some yourself in an enclosed room. Stun guns require you to be in pretty close proximity... too close for comfort. Tasers require TWO electrodes to hit the perp - thick clothing or bad placement can hamper effect. Accounts from all report they all have been defeated at some point (person who LIKES pepper or has a high pain threshold, or weird body dynamics) is not all that uncommon.

                          Check out a gun store w/ a range... they typically rent guns and you can try a few out. Have you approached your circle of friends? Bet there's a friend of a friend, co-worker, family friend who's a shooter and would be happy to introduce you to shooting. You might be surprised to find the size of the typically "silent majority" of firearms owners in CA is quite large... chance are someone you know is a shooter and has just not shown you that piece of their life. Calgunners are a great resource as well - ALL that I've met without exception are folks I could learn something from.
                          Numbers to LIVE by... 22, 38, 9, 357, 44, 45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 12

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Dark&Good
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2008
                            • 2106

                            I don't know if you know these statistics, but it looks like people who try to defend themselves with non-firearms get hurt most, people who don't defend themselves (just obey) get hurt second most, and people who attempt to defend themselves with firearms get hurt least. You can find a few sources for these stats with Google.
                            "I don't know where you came from, and I don't know where you've gone
                            Old friends become old strangers between darkness and the dawn..."

                            Ben Harper

                            "It's a free country... or, at least, it will be."
                            - The Patriot -

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              WokMaster1
                              Part time Emperor
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 5436

                              So what happened? Did Annie teach you how to kick arse?
                              "Good friends, good food & good wine. Anything else is just a waste of soy sauce.":)

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Annie Oakley
                                Senior Member
                                • May 2007
                                • 811

                                Originally posted by WokMaster1
                                So what happened? Did Annie teach you how to kick arse?
                                Katie is a natural. She absorbs everything I teach her like a sponge.

                                On our first day, I introduced her to a pistol and a revolver. I think she is a better student than I am a teacher. Anyway, I quizzed her about the various parts of both guns, and she got it right everytime.

                                On our next meet, I taught her sight acquisition. Look out guys, when we actually start shooting, I wouldn't bet against her.

                                Anyway, she will be a force to be reckoned with when she starts shooting.
                                sigpic "This we'll defend"- U.S. Army Motto
                                "I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906), speech in San Franscisco, July 1871

                                NRA Life Member

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1