Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SoCal HVAC help needed...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hawk1
    In Memoriam
    • Dec 2005
    • 7555

    SoCal HVAC help needed...

    It looks like my condenser is on it's last leg. It's having trouble bringing the house down below 80/81 during the day. If I start it early it'll pull through the day no problem. If I start it when the house is at 85 or so, it'll run 7 or more hours and barely get the temp down to 80. The central air unit is every bit of 19 years old and NEVER been serviced. It was original to the house (2100 sqft 2 story) when I bought the house new and just built in 2/1992
    I feel it's so inefficient that it's not worth putting money into it doing a service/recharge. I'm sure there are units much more efficient available.
    Question is, where do I start? How does one go about getting a new condenser purchased and installed? Any Inland Empire Calgunners doing this work? This unit may limp through summer, would winter be a better time to purchase and have installed?
    sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER
  • #2
    maurice05
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 796

    You can try my guy hes here close to los angeles he will be installing my ac system in the next few weeks hopfully depending on my funds his name is
    Ruben 626 252 4259 just tell him maurice in compton have you his number
    Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson don't speak for all black people!

    Comment

    • #3
      dodger fever
      Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 104

      Well I don't install but I do deliver carrier ac units to local ac companies. What part of inland empire are you at, maybe I can refer you to someone in your area

      Comment

      • #4
        rickster1269
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 1279

        This is my Brothers business in Tustin. Give him a call tell him his bro Rick sent you.

        Are you looking for local HVAC companies Villa Park, CA residents recommend? We offer reliable HVAC services with free estimates and same-day service.

        Comment

        • #5
          hawk1
          In Memoriam
          • Dec 2005
          • 7555

          I'm in South Corona. I've received a couple PM's with phone numbers to call, but haven't had a chance to call them yet.
          I need to do something, but can't seem to find a day free to schedule an appointment...
          sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

          Comment

          • #6
            dodger fever
            Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 104

            Try allison air bro they are in corona as well. The owners name is Steve,he will take care of all your needs. Just tell him Richard the carrier driver referred you

            Comment

            • #7
              hawk1
              In Memoriam
              • Dec 2005
              • 7555

              Originally posted by dodger fever
              Try allison air bro they are in corona as well. The owners name is Steve,he will take care of all your needs. Just tell him Richard the carrier driver referred you
              Thanks.

              In your other post you said you didn't install. Can/do you sell the condenser and I have an installer do the work?
              sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

              Comment

              • #8
                dodger fever
                Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 104

                I wish i could brother. They wont even sell me one, you need a contractors licsense

                Comment

                • #9
                  hawk1
                  In Memoriam
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 7555

                  I'm fairly certain I'm to the point of replacing this unit. My only concern is being oversold for stuff I won't/don't need.
                  Also, not sure if it's best to buy the highest SEER rating possible (more money) or a lessor SEER rated unit which is less upfront, but I'll then pay more in higher energy costs?..
                  sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AAShooter
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • May 2010
                    • 7188

                    Originally posted by hawk1
                    I'm fairly certain I'm to the point of replacing this unit. My only concern is being oversold for stuff I won't/don't need.
                    Also, not sure if it's best to buy the highest SEER rating possible (more money) or a lessor SEER rated unit which is less upfront, but I'll then pay more in higher energy costs?..
                    See what rebates and incentives are available. I can't remember if there are any tax benefits still available this year.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      hawk1
                      In Memoriam
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 7555

                      Originally posted by AAShooter
                      See what rebates and incentives are available. I can't remember if there are any tax benefits still available this year.
                      yeah, there's a couple if buy a unit that has a high (I think 14 or more) SEER rating. One from Edison and another from Uncle Sugar...

                      I'm guessing that the HVAC company will be getting premium prices because of the rebates available. Both together amount to around $2400 or there about.
                      sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        dodger fever
                        Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 104

                        Well a higher seer is more efficient but from what I've been told its only going to save you on average about 120-150 a year about 11bucks a month. So it seems to much to pay up front for that higher seer. The carrier warehouse in brea sometimes has a scratch and dent sale on condensers and alot of times they are half price. So whoever does your install have them look at that to save money,alot of times they are minor dents with nothing else wrong and come with warranty

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          freonr22
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 12948

                          you will also need to replace your indoor coil (evaporator) due to the fact your new outdoor unit will be r410a refrigerant not r22. you may consider your furnace also.

                          What ever you decide. Consider requiring your Lic'd c20 hvac contractor perform an air balance report. I am Not talking about duct leakage pressure testing or house leakage, but this register in this room puts out 135cfm etc. total system cfm rated is 1400, supply is 1285 return is 1380 etc.....

                          you will end up with a better quality install, and a better quality company
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by dantodd
                          We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                          Originally posted by bwiese
                          They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                          Originally posted by louisianagirl
                          Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            AAShooter
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • May 2010
                            • 7188

                            Originally posted by freonr22
                            you will also need to replace your indoor coil (evaporator) due to the fact your new outdoor unit will be r410a refrigerant not r22. you may consider your furnace also.

                            What ever you decide. Consider requiring your Lic'd c20 hvac contractor perform an air balance report. I am Not talking about duct leakage pressure testing or house leakage, but this register in this room puts out 135cfm etc. total system cfm rated is 1400, supply is 1285 return is 1380 etc.....

                            you will end up with a better quality install, and a better quality company
                            Sounds like a great suggestion but why does an air balance report get you a better install and contractor? I know for my situation, I am trying to figure out how to get better performance upstairs vs. downstairs.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              freonr22
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 12948

                              because they will put a certifiable right amount of air in the right place. ie, upstairs is hotter, I want to direct 65% of my capacity there... ok, I adjust dampers to send 65% of capacity there. oops, the ductwork cannot handle it, its too small... ok, we can only get 3/4 of what we need there with what we have.. ok, we need another 10" duct there. it will cost this much, ummm ok please do it, and you end up happy... the equipment to do air balancing costs maybe 2-3k, the work is maybe $300-1200 depending.. you end up with a proper performing system. I do not do this any more but happy to share if you need more detail. pm me for a ph number if your questions were not answered
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by dantodd
                              We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                              Originally posted by bwiese
                              They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                              Originally posted by louisianagirl
                              Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1